Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2012, 07:00 AM   #1

Maxum inverter fault

Took out my motorhome to prepare it for a trip, left it unplugged (mostly to test battery capacity) and batteries totally discharged in about 24 hours or so, they are new from last year. This morning I plugged it in but no power anywhere. Start troubleshooting. I have 110 everywhere in the AC panel, including at the Maxum ME-2012. No 12 V. Chassis batteries good, coach batteries 0 volts. Fault light is on at the Maxum panel. I pushed on-off button at the inverter to cycle power, nothing happens, green light is blinking 1 flash per second indicating it is charging. I plugged an industrial battery charger to batteries in boost mode and within 15 seconds the fan on the Maxum starts and my Maxum panel fault light goes out, everything normal. What happened?? It is as if the batteries were so low that the charger could not start. How do you reset it? I have AGS (auto. generator start) but have not played with that yet, need to configure it. Any ideas?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2012, 07:25 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
There are some trouble fault codes listed in this link found in Quick Tips.
Not sure if its your system.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:39 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
You have house battery issues, should not have gone dead in 24 hours unless you had every light on and ran the inverter. Check the water in the batteries first and if it is ok have the batteries checked.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Man View Post
You have house battery issues, should not have gone dead in 24 hours unless you had every light on and ran the inverter. Check the water in the batteries first and if it is ok have the batteries checked.
Thanks but no, batteries are good. I did have the inverter running and a bunch of stuff turned on.

I am trying to see if my battery boost circuit is working. If it did that would have been the way to 'kick start' the charger (instead of connecting an external charger).
Old 03-25-2012, 06:48 AM   #5

I had a similar issue on our coach. With the generator running everything continued to pull off the inverter until it ran the batteries dead. We've also had issues where I get a fault light on the inverter and a RV mismatch message on the monitor panel. To correct I have to unplug the cable from the inverter that runs to the inverter remote wait a few seconds then plug it back in. I had the dealer look at it but they can't figure it out so I plan to have Newmar look at it in May when we are in route to Michigan.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanjeep View Post
I had a similar issue on our coach. With the generator running everything continued to pull off the inverter until it ran the batteries dead. We've also had issues where I get a fault light on the inverter and a RV mismatch message on the monitor panel. To correct I have to unplug the cable from the inverter that runs to the inverter remote wait a few seconds then plug it back in. I had the dealer look at it but they can't figure it out so I plan to have Newmar look at it in May when we are in route to Michigan.
Thanks Dean, that sounds like the problem I had. Were you unplugged from shore power for a while before you ran the gen? I think, in my case the batteries went really low and that's when the charger 'locked out'.

I did try to run the generator to see if the batteries would charge but same as shore power, they did not. The Max. charger just seems to quit and like I said in original post I had to plug an external charger to make it start. I will try to unplug the remote to see if this will reset it. (I tried the on-off switch, a momentary switch on the charger, the green light went off and back to blink but the charger never came on).
Old 03-25-2012, 10:07 AM   #7

Ive had several issues with the RV data mismatch message and with the fault light on the inverter remote. Can't seem to find a consistent set of circumstances that cause it. The one time that the inverter continued to supply power while the generator was running was while we were traveling back to Missouri from Florida and I had not been plugged into shore power for over 12 hours. There is a reset button on the inverter. Look in your owners manual for instructions on using it. In mine you have to push it in and hold it for several seconds until the light starts blinking real fast or something like that. I can't remember specifically.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:39 AM   #8

Anytime I have an inverter / charger question I call Magnum at: 425-353-8833. These guys know what they are talking about and can communicate it in understandable terms. Have your model number and serial number when you call.
dougburi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:54 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Have a friend that had what sounds like the same problem. Drove him nuts trying to figure out what was going on. At Newmar it drove the tech's there nuts until the problem finally repeated. Turns out he had an inverter that sometimes worked and sometimes did not. When he started the generator it would start working and be OK for awhile and his batteries would be fine. When it did not work his batteries would go dead even on shore power. It was totally intermittent. His fix was to replace the inverter.
imgoin4it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:17 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Man View Post
Our DSDP will run the 4 - U-2200's down in about 8 hours. We run the U-Line icemaker and storage bay refer/freezer as well as TV's and lights. It's been this way since we took delivery in Jun 2002. Just replaced the batteries a little over a month ago, still does the same thing. I have to run the generator 3 times for 2 hours each in 24 hours.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:15 PM   #11

If you run the house batterys completely flat, you won't get any AC input or charging from shore power or the generator. Just start the engine and let the alternator charge the batterys for a few minutes. Then all will be back to normal.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:11 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
You can set the minimum voltage cutoff on your Magnum ME2012 control panel so that it will not completely kill your batteries.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter