Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2020, 03:23 PM   #1

Maytag Fridge Water Filter stuck???

Well actually the plug I inserted after I removed the filter so I could winterize it. Have done this for the last two years with no problem. This year it is stuck. I can't turn it to remove it. What the heck could I be doing wrong. I don't want to force it and do some series damage - although I did put quite a bit of force into it

Any ideas? Sometimes the simplest things cause me the most aggravation
X-OEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2020, 08:03 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-OEM View Post
Well actually the plug I inserted after I removed the filter so I could winterize it. Have done this for the last two years with no problem. This year it is stuck. I can't turn it to remove it. What the heck could I be doing wrong. I don't want to force it and do some series damage - although I did put quite a bit of force into it

Any ideas? Sometimes the simplest things cause me the most aggravation
Try taking the water pressure off of the unit, shut off water supply and fill a cup of water from the front dispenser. Then try it. Just a thought...
Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 09:44 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Does it have to be pushed in and then turned?
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 07:56 AM   #4

Will try to shut off the water pressure, Not at the coach now, but will report back later tonight on progress.

I have tried pushing, pulling and swearing. The later makes me feel better, but provides little else.
Old 07-27-2020, 09:36 PM   #5

I've noticed the plug and the filter both turn awfully hard when removing. Always afraid something is going to break off since the frig connector moves freely up and down.

Has anyone actually broken off the frig part of the connector during removing the plug or filter?
Old 07-28-2020, 08:29 AM   #6

Well I tried the water shutoff process to relieve pressure. Didn't work. Still stuck. The fridge was off so there was no possibility of it being frozen in place. That wouldn't make sense anyway, but I figured I would try.

So for right now, no filter for the fridge. It's not like it's a safety item or anything. Besides, we are in the Pacific Northwest for now which has great quality water available everywhere - for the most part.

Amy other ideas out there?
Old 07-28-2020, 11:54 AM   #7

Apply a little heat maybe (e.g. hairdryer on low or medium)?
bstabile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 12:00 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-OEM View Post
Well I tried the water shutoff process to relieve pressure. Didn't work. Still stuck. The fridge was off so there was no possibility of it being frozen in place. That wouldn't make sense anyway, but I figured I would try.

So for right now, no filter for the fridge. It's not like it's a safety item or anything. Besides, we are in the Pacific Northwest for now which has great quality water available everywhere - for the most part.

Amy other ideas out there?
Was the fridge on while you tried to fill a glass of water from the dispenser, with the main water off at the same time?
Old 07-28-2020, 12:15 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Just a thought: does your rig also have a "whole house" water filter? If so, and depending on what sort of cartridge you use in it, maybe you don't need to have a functional fridge filter anyway. That's my situation - I figure why spend money just to be redundant?

FWIW...
Old 07-28-2020, 01:03 PM   #10

Yes the fridge was on when drawing water from the water dispenser. But the water supply was off to the coach. The dispenser ran dry before I tried to move the filter plug.

I agree, the filter in the fridge was/is redundant. The only time I saw a difference in water from the tap and water from the fridge was in some parts of Florida. Haven't been everywhere so so offense intended to the hanging chad state meant!! My wife seems to have a sensitive nose so always used bottled water for coffee and tea in the Keurig.

Me, I am far less sensitive to water quality so no filter from now on. I will try the hairdryer or some way the heat the outer casing so it expands and the plug does not.

A project for a rainy day. Thanks for all the suggestions everybody. Love this place
Old 07-28-2020, 02:42 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
OK, here is a video of removal and install of a new plug. Does your's look like the one in the video? If so, no pushing or pulling, just twist it counter clockwise.

Just incase you need more of a grip, this next video is actually how to replace that internal assembly. I would suggest to just dismount it and get a strong grip on it while trying to remove the stuck plug. Seeing how it is made and fits might help with a stronger way of removing the plug without damaging the filter assembly. Good luck!

Old 07-28-2020, 03:35 PM   #12

Holy Cow - I never thought to check YouTube. Should have known. Is there any subject that is not on there?? !!

Very much appreciated
Old 07-31-2020, 09:29 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Well... Did you get it off? Let us know please😀
Old 07-31-2020, 10:36 PM   #14

I guess if we twist too hard it's possible to actually break off the tabs that hold the filter attachment point and the filter cover. Which would be a catastrophe and fun to replace.

Still sounds like we need some kind of "know how" when the plug or filter won't budge.

Tags
fridge, water