Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2015, 05:18 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Maytag Ice Maker Issue

The ice maker in our Maytag residential refrigerator has suddenly stopped working. We have a 2015 Ventana Model 4003, purchased in October 2014. I've reviewed the Maytag Owners Manual trouble shooting section and checked each item there but still no ice.

Anyone else had this issue and/or can anyone offer any additional suggestions to troubleshoot or to check?

Thanks in advance...
cstar5634 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2015, 08:52 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Are you located in a cold weather location?
Did you check the outlet for 110, it maybe off your inverter for when traveling.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 11:42 AM   #3

My Kenmore at home stopped one time. No water coming in to ice maker tray. Turned out to be frozen line near where it fills. I used a hair dryer and warmed the line, water started in a few minutes. I found this fix on google. Google is amazing!!!
pj54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 10:01 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Did you try cycling the on/off switch on the icemaker?
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 04:31 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Maytag Ice Maker Issue

We're currently in Fla so no chance of line freezing being the issue.

Dutch Star Don: When you ask did we cycle the ice maker on-off switch I assume you're asking did we turn it off and back on? Yes, we did that and still nothing.
Old 01-19-2015, 05:57 AM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
How about moving the wire arm up/down? It might be sensing the bucket to be full.
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 07:13 AM   #7

The line that freezes is inside the freezer just where the water feeds the ice tray. The hair dryer or defrost the freezer and see if it works.
pj54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 07:20 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
On a few occasions I have had a similar issue. From previous threads I found it needs a Bump start. Add water into the ice maker, mine is tight and requires a small glass. This gets the icemaker back into the cycling mode.

Not sure if it was asked..... do you have water on the door and that is working?
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 11:04 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Maytag Ice Maker Issue

Yes, we do have water running in the door. Talked to Whirlpool and only other suggestion was to take out the water filter and put it back in. That hasn't worked either so far. Will probably wait until we arrive back to home base (South Alabama) and Whirlpool said they can send a tech out...it's still under warranty, just a pain to have to make arrangements and still not have a warm and fuzzy feeling that their tech's can work on a motor home frig ... will hope for the best.

Many thanks to all you replyer's out there !!!
Old 01-19-2015, 05:44 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Don't Give UP......... open up the ice bin and pour water in the the ice making tray.
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 04:21 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Maytag Ice Maker Issue

Ice maker won't make ice, we have a 2014 Ventana that had the same problem. While camped here at McDill in Tampa, we called for service. Service guy dug in the back of the ice maker, ran some test, and found a (switch ?) that was not working. He removed a shoe box size unit, replaced the broken part, working great ever since !
Gsgarland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:47 AM   #12

X2 on the hair dryer. I've had to do the same to our 2014 dutch star when it sat for a month or so and I forgot to turn off the ice maker. Removed the ice bin, and point the hair dryer to the back. It may take several minutes, but make sure the ice in the white plastic part at the back where the water comes in is melted. Wait about 4 hours and you should have ice!
Old 01-20-2015, 08:51 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattChief View Post

X2 on the hair dryer. I've had to do the same to our 2014 dutch star when it sat for a month or so and I forgot to turn off the ice maker. Removed the ice bin, and point the hair dryer to the back. It may take several minutes, but make sure the ice in the white plastic part at the back where the water comes in is melted. Wait about 4 hours and you should have ice!
Well, that sure sounds like a "really great ice maker design" when you have to defrost a water line "inside of a freezer" where stuff is supposed to be frozen.

What's up with that?

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 10:51 AM   #14

All ice makers have a point where unfrozen water enters the unit. I've had to do the same thing to my home frig, a 20 year old GE. Surprisingly, most ice makers also have a heating element used to release the ice from the mold. If for any reason the water is unable to clear the fill spout during a cycle, the water can freeze, resulting in an inoperable ice maker.