Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2020, 05:36 PM   #15

I converted the windshield, driver and passenger front windows to power MCD shades. Also had the rear bedroom window done with day and night shades. No problems except for my drivers side shade motor failed immediately and the replacement sounds bad when operating. The windshield shade has an adjustment you can make to set the limit of lowering when driving. It`s a safety feature but it can be adjusted. Over all, we really like them and they are much easier for my wife to use with her back issues.
Vintage Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2020, 05:41 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driveby View Post
There was a thread from 2016 where the feedback was positive. But given this is now a ~$4k list option, would you buy it again if you were doing a factory order? Seems pricey for the value gained but I’d love to hear more current thoughts and opinions.

I initially considered skipping the power shades when we ordered our 2018. So glad I did not. While the drivers shade is an issue, I just adjust it before we leave. So far very happy with them with no issues in 20K miles and would order them again.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 05:44 PM   #17

Yes ! They are as good as sliced bread ! Wouldn't be without them in any new coach.
Mr Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 08:50 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartS View Post
We have all power shades with 2 remotes in our 2017 DS & they were standard equipment. I am surprised to hear that they are now an option in a Dutch Star.

NEVER had any problem with the MCD Power Shades so I don't know why your tech made that comment. Newmar has been using them in every coach from the Dutch Star & up for years.

Stuart,
He told me that they had replaced so many motors on them it wasn’t funny. MCD supposedly changed motors on them after so many issues but I don’t know that for a fact. This is probably just a personal preference like so many things on a coach. Just offered up my experience.
Old 09-07-2020, 09:31 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Driveby,

I had a different brand of power shades on my Tiffin Allegro Bus and after replacing over 10 motors I swore I wouldn't have them again. The DS4369 I bought from Tom Lindstrom had them so I got them, and I am so glad! The MCD shades have been great and you can reprogram the "key on" lower limits, change the order on the remote, add or remove shades from the groups, and more. I now feel that they are well worth it!
tqqest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 09:32 PM   #20
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
It's all about convenience. I have them in me LA and they are nice. It makes it nice in the morning to raise the night shades without getting out of bed. Wake up gradually. It's also nice to hit one button and all the shades react.
Is it worth the price? It's all about the convenience.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 05:52 PM   #21

We have electric MCD's in our '15 DS 3736. I had watch a few Youtube videos and learn how to program them. Now I love them. Windshield and Driver Window have two programs; key on and key off. All others just one program. Manual ones would be ok, but if a bit more techno doesn't scare you off you'll enjoy them.

Tags
power