RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2016, 11:04 AM   #1

MCD Power Shades just stop working?

Does anybody else have the MCD power shades in their coach, and some just flat out stop working? My coach is only a few months old, so the shades have had very few up/down cycles. At this point two of the night shades have stopped working. Is this common? Is there an easy fix (I'm having it worked on under warranty, but if it's an easy fix for me while I'm on the road I'd rather just do it myself). The day shade on both windows still functions fine.

Also, does anybody else notice that the driver's side window shade makes a lot of noise when traveling, but all of that noise stops if you put a little tension on the shade? Is there a way to secure the shade better to avoid the noise?

-TJ

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2016, 11:39 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
If you mean the window shade hitting the window frame makes the noise, you can quiet it down by attaching Velcro strip to the inside of the shave bottom bar.
For the non-working shades I would check if they are powered. If power is present, I would try to re-program the shade to recognize the remote control. Instructions are available at the MCD website mcdinnovations.com

2015 DSDP 4369, 2014 Grand Cherokee, SMI AF1, VMSpc. Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum

2015 DSDP 4369 with HWH Active Air, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Roadmaster tow bar, SMI AirForce One, Silverleaf VMSPc
andyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 11:45 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
TJ - I've had 2 motors replaced on my 2016 4018 DS. The windshield night shade and the forward recliner driver side night shade.

Before calling Newmar with my 2nd motor failure I did some trouble shooting on my own. I reprogrammed the problem night shade to a "spare" button and then reset limits.

When reprogramming didn't solve my problem, I called Newmar who conferenced in MCD and let them know what I'd done and that I thought the motor was defective.

In both cases, Newmar/MCD required a technician to diagnose the problem. They scheduled a diagnosis visit with a Newmar approved service center (I was on the road in Maine) who affirmed my diagnosis.

I continued on my trip to Bar Harbor and in my way back through I stopped and they replaced the motor.

Not the service quality I would hope for, but things happen and Newmar/MCD made it right.
2016 Lincoln MKX, SMI Air Force One, Blue Ox
Capt. Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 11:47 AM   #4

MCD may be able to help you out over the phone while on the road.
972-548-1850
Old 10-04-2016, 04:02 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
MCD is very helpful!

I've found MCD to be VERY helpful over the phone. FYI, they told me that low voltage can make the shades misbehave so make sure you're setting your automatic generator start if you're boondocking.
lucyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 10:02 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjZ06 View Post
Does anybody else have the MCD power shades in their coach, and some just flat out stop working? My coach is only a few months old, so the shades have had very few up/down cycles. At this point two of the night shades have stopped working. Is this common? Is there an easy fix (I'm having it worked on under warranty, but if it's an easy fix for me while I'm on the road I'd rather just do it myself). The day shade on both windows still functions fine.

Also, does anybody else notice that the driver's side window shade makes a lot of noise when traveling, but all of that noise stops if you put a little tension on the shade? Is there a way to secure the shade better to avoid the noise?

-TJ

Ours failed. Bad motor. Takes 4 weeks to order and replace. They will swap out the entire unit under warranty for us. MCD is very helpful when you call for phone support.

Tobias - Newmar 2015 Dutch Star 4366
Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 10-10-2016, 09:22 PM   #7

One other point of view... I've had problems with my windshield shade losing its memory (ignition on and ignition off upper and lower limits). That's the one that looks like a black screen. The white opaque "visor" worked just fine, however.

Once you get your programming issue resolved (I do mine myself with no problem once I deciphered the instructions), I was told by MCD the only reason a shade loses its memory is from low voltage. Turns out my issue was with a bad rocker switch on my cockpit control panel, so one more thing to keep in mind.
Good luck.
gjurrens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 11:09 AM   #8

Had 2 more shades fail, this time day shades. I'm startin to worry this will be a lifelong problem with this coach. How could 4 shades already have failed, 2 night and 2 day?

-TJ
Old 10-28-2016, 12:58 PM   #9

I've lost programming a few times and have had 2 motor failures ( windshield and bedroom) in the last 3 years. Looks like you're winning the failure race. I know it's not funny nor something you expect from what is supposed to be a quality coach. Seems that the parts they are putting in are not up to snuff..... for instance, I had 3 microwaves put in before they agreed to put in a GE unit. At least that one has worked OK now for 2 years. The washing machine had to be replaced earlier this year and the coach is now at the dealer having the another roof AC unit replaced. That makes 3. Add to that slide motor gearbox failures, broken slide chain,cracks in both the front and rear caps.... the list goes on for pages. We had our prior coach for 12 years and had 2 problems during that time. A broken gear in a slide out motor and a faulty realy in the starter circuit. I guess I was spoiled or just plain lucky.
Old 10-28-2016, 06:54 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
low voltage?

You shouldn't be having that much of a problem. MCD says low voltage causes almost all of the malfunctions so make sure you're keeping your batteries topped off. Are you putting the unit in storage without power or boondocking with the auto gen start off?
lucyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 07:07 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyh View Post
You shouldn't be having that much of a problem. MCD says low voltage causes almost all of the malfunctions so make sure you're keeping your batteries topped off. Are you putting the unit in storage without power or boondocking with the auto gen start off?
In our case, we have solar to keep both chassis and house batteries up to standards. But we have to be thoughtful to always first turn off the inverter, then the "salesman switch" off before storing the unit. Works fine if we stick with the procedure diligently.
Old 10-30-2016, 09:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyh View Post
Nope, either full hookup parks or Boondocking, but in high 90s heat running the generator nearly 24hrs a day.

-TJ
tjZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 09:12 PM   #13

2 more shades stopped working.
Old 11-09-2016, 08:13 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Don't forget to change the batteries in your remote controls for the shades. We had a couple shades stop working, but after replacing the batteries in the 14-channel remote they all worked again.

ficodek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power