RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2016, 12:21 PM   #1

MCD Shade on Driver's Side Window - "Rattling" Noise

I don't recall any talk of the noise ("rattling"), coming from where the two
MCD shades meet - driver's side and at windshield. I find there's lots of
bouncing with one striking the other, traveling some of the rougher pavements. Anyone else experience this...and perhaps found a solution,
hopefully??

hugh37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2016, 12:51 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I have what I would call "vibrations" coming from the MCD shades, not really rattles as such. They are minor compared to the popping and creaking of the frameless windows:-)

I managed to quiet down the passenger window completely but am still struggling with the driver's side. Coach going in for service this week - we'll see what they can do about it (not much hope, honestly).

Carefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 01:08 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
I've had luck applying a small piece of adhesive backed weatherstrip to the contact points.

Those rattles can be quite annoying. I know they've got medications to help deal with those annoyances...just can't drive when I'm taking them.

Take care,
Stu
Old 11-13-2016, 02:14 PM   #4

I would call mine more than vibrations...I've seen them bouncing and
striking one another, making much noise, especially on some pavements.
Pieces of weatherstripping may well do the job...just that nothing can
interfere with the up/down movements. Appreciate the inputs.
Old 11-13-2016, 02:33 PM   #5

The answer is that you don't have them both at the top of the window. I have the side shade down part way and the front visor down a little to block the sun. That way they can't hit each other although the side one does hit the window frame sometimes. You can attach a small magnet to the each end and magnetic strips down the window frame to stop this if it is really annoying.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 09:02 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
We had the same issue on both passenger and drivers side. If your shades have a loop in the middle you hold when pulling down or letting up you are in luck. My DW got a Command Strip which had a hook on it facing down. She simply stuck it to the middle window frame and we hook the loops around it and it holds the shades close to the window.

Command Strips are great for many applications in the motor home.
Andyfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 08:47 AM   #7

Andyfarmer...thanks for the input...but, while the shades are noisy hitting
against the windows, my concern is where the very end of the driver's
window mcd (roller) strikes against the windshield shade (roller) at the upper left corner...they tend to bounce against each other, causing very annoying
noise, especially on some pavement. Have you not experienced that?
Old 11-14-2016, 04:09 PM   #8

i cut a piece of foam and stuck it in the middle between so it help supports the middle from bouncing.. I left the foam there and the blinds still open and shut fine as blinds just rub on the foam on the way up and down. No more bouncing

My front tires seem to be out of balance at 63 to 64mph so I am going to get the balance checked as this was a main reason the blinds would rattle. As well as my front entry step squeak that happens if I dont put it up while driving. and my refrigerator compressor. I am bound and determined to fix all the annoying noises.
Dunebuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 06:55 PM   #9

Thanks, Dunebuddy...your idea is certainly worth a try. And, good luck in
getting rid of your annoying noises
Old 11-14-2016, 09:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunebuddy View Post
i cut a piece of foam and stuck it in the middle between so it help supports the middle from bouncing.. I left the foam there and the blinds still open and shut fine as blinds just rub on the foam on the way up and down. No more bouncing

My front tires seem to be out of balance at 63 to 64mph so I am going to get the balance checked as this was a main reason the blinds would rattle. As well as my front entry step squeak that happens if I dont put it up while driving. and my refrigerator compressor. I am bound and determined to fix all the annoying noises.
Glad to know there's someone else out there like me. My wife thinks I'm the only one that's concerned with squeaks and rattles! I have my anti rattle kit which is a large zip lock bag stuffed with pieces of foam, all sizes of adhesive backed weather stripping, cabinet door rubber bumpers all shapes and sizes, felt pads for furniture legs, rubber strips, wooden shims etc.. if it rattles I'll fix it!
JSteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 05:54 AM   #11

Seemingly, the great majority of owners are not "overly" concerned with
rattles, squeeks, and such (my DW is in that group!). To me it's a wonder that there are not a great many more "intolerable" noises, especially from dishes, pots & pans, and the structure in general, with all the bouncing, flexing, etc. While I don't carry a "repair kit" for such "annoyances", I do quickly seek out the tools and whatever other "fixes" that might be required to "remedy" my dilemma. I sure don't want to give the impression that I'm unhappy with my coach...it's just that I so dislike "noise annoyances", even in my car and home!
Old 11-15-2016, 09:10 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSteele View Post
Glad to know there's someone else out there like me. My wife thinks I'm the only one that's concerned with squeaks and rattles! I have my anti rattle kit which is a large zip lock bag stuffed with pieces of foam, all sizes of adhesive backed weather stripping, cabinet door rubber bumpers all shapes and sizes, felt pads for furniture legs, rubber strips, wooden shims etc.. if it rattles I'll fix it!

LOL.. I have the bottom drawer under my dishwasher full of all the same stuff... I use velcro as well someone should sell these kits at camping world.
Dunebuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 02:27 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Not sure our issue was the same or as bad as experienced by others, but I solved the vibration/rattle by cutting a wine cork to length so that it's long enough to wedge between the wall and bracket by friction fit but not bend the bracket. It's worked for a thousand miles or so, including over some slab concrete, so I'm hopeful.
Linda and Keith, 2016 Newmar Ventana 3436 (Wrigley), Cummins ISB 360hp, Allison 3000, Silverleaf VMSpc, Freightliner XCR, Cummins 8kW diesel, Roadmaster All-Terrain, Roadmaster Invisibrake, Toyota 2014 Honda CRV AWD (Go Cubs)
wiiltn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 06:56 PM   #14

willtn...the cork idea sounds like a winner. Trouble is...I just
threw away my most recent two yesterday! Reckon I can
wait a few days to give it a try. Thanks for the idea!

Tags
driver, noise, window