RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2012, 06:17 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
MCD shades installed at Newmar

Was wondering if anyone has gone to the Newmar factory for upgrade of their cockpit shades. My 2005 MADP came with the pleated shades which I really want to change out with the MCD. Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2012, 07:01 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Do not see why they wouldn't or maybe a good Newmar dealer would do.
They put them on the new coach's just contact them for there thoughts.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:29 PM   #3

Just had our 04 Essex done with Auto-Motion shades. Having both front driver area and the rest of the coach done with pull down day and night shades around 4K. Very nise up grade.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:44 PM   #4

We had the factory install MCDs last fall, turned into a train wreck. Wrong shades were ordered (too small), installed backwards with the white solid material on the outside, black sunshade inside. Oh the switch wiring was a disaster. Short version is the Newmar fix it techs don't get the schooling the line techs did. We contacted MCD who directed us a local hiline shop, Infinity Coach in Sumner Wa who ordered all new parts, then proceeded to do it right. Spent the last to months in Calif and LOVE the sunshade while driving and parked. At night the privacy shade is perfect. We used the privacy shade to block direct sun, works as well as the bubble foil our park neighbors used and was a lot less hassel.
teamwally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:32 AM   #5

I installed MCD shades in my coach. The install is not complicated but it took hours (literally) to get the clips to attach to the blinds. Great shades, now that they are in. They make a 100% difference in operation and light inside the coach.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:54 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
One can also go to the MCD factory in Denton TX. They'll make and and install them on site.
imgoin4it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:17 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
We purchased 9 MCD Gold Series at the Indy FMCA Rally. MCD had free shipping at the Rally which prompted our purchase. We installed them ourselves with no problems. I have complete details at our blog:

Dave & Kathy 2011 - 2012

We love the shades so much we are headed to the MCD factory to have the front cockpit area done.
chiefdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:20 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by imgoin4it
One can also go to the MCD factory in Denton TX. They'll make and and install them on site.
McKinney Texas to be precise. Right off I 75 - Denton is off I 35.

Have appointment week of Nov 12th. Looking forward to new blinds!
Steve and Annie
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:49 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Bradd and Hall is in nearby Elkhart, IN. They have been installing MCD shades for quite a while and are very good at it. www.braddandhall.com

Also, I noticed on the MCD website that they are offering a limited time offer of a 30% discount to retail users for trading in your old shades. They can be in any condition because they'll go into a dumpster so it miught be agood time to check that out.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:55 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post
Bradd and Hall is in nearby Elkhart, IN. They have been installing MCD shades for quite a while and are very good at it. www.braddandhall.com

Also, I noticed on the MCD website that they are offering a limited time offer of a 30% discount to retail users for trading in your old shades. They can be in any condition because they'll go into a dumpster so it miught be agood time to check that out.
I saw that too, but don't believe that includes the cockpit shades..
Old 10-29-2012, 11:02 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I'd ask them. Seeing as how they are just dumping them anyway I would assume that cockpit shades would count. It'd be worth a phone call anyway.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:54 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Cockpit shades are not included. They may be "dumping" parts but not inventory as they built to suit measurements you supply. I have appointment week of Nov 12th at their shop in McKinney Tx. They will measure and build to fit, install and have us out of their by Friday COB. In speaking with them - the discount is house only but measure all openings and keep in your file for future orders. Really looking forward to this. If you will be in the area they have 12 (I believe) slots with 50 amp service. You can stay their and watch the whole thing happen or drop off and stay with family / friends. They are very busy so plan ahead.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:33 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
I had my house day/night shades replaced last April and the cockpit pleated curtains, power visors and manual side shades replaced three weeks ago at the MCD factory in McKinney. Pardon the pun, but the resulting coverings are like "day and night". I'm very high on their product. The initial installation was done poorly, but they stood behind their work and properly reinstalled all of the house shades at no charge. They are indeed busy this time of year, so be sure to make an appointment well in advance. I personally would hang around and watch the install. They got rid of the guys that did my coach initially, and the guys that are now doing it are top notch. Each install is custom, with the type of adjustments you have to make in construction. They have modified their installation methods for Dutch Stars (at least) to deal with the thin cabinet material and for stand alone valances. I introduced them to Molly bolts and plastic wing anchors, which they used for a couple of windows. I had hoped that since I just replaced my old 2005 vintage Sony TV and had the cabinet modified to not stick out so far, that the windshield shades would be a piece of cake. Turns out that because of the rounded hump of the instrument panel of my 2005 DSDP we had to go with 3 separate shade sections, all powered separately, but synchronized in operation. I'm looking forward to giving them a real try out, since once the installation was complete, I drove back home the next day. I plan to use some scrap night shade material to make a cover for the skylight, so next summer I am not awakened at 5:30 am like I was this summer.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:35 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcolivier View Post
I had my house day/night shades replaced last April and the cockpit pleated curtains, power visors and manual side shades replaced three weeks ago at the MCD factory in McKinney. Pardon the pun, but the resulting coverings are like "day and night". I'm very high on their product. The initial installation was done poorly, but they stood behind their work and properly reinstalled all of the house shades at no charge. They are indeed busy this time of year, so be sure to make an appointment well in advance. I personally would hang around and watch the install. They got rid of the guys that did my coach initially, and the guys that are now doing it are top notch. Each install is custom, with the type of adjustments you have to make in construction. They have modified their installation methods for Dutch Stars (at least) to deal with the thin cabinet material and for stand alone valances. I introduced them to Molly bolts and plastic wing anchors, which they used for a couple of windows. I had hoped that since I just replaced my old 2005 vintage Sony TV and had the cabinet modified to not stick out so far, that the windshield shades would be a piece of cake. Turns out that because of the rounded hump of the instrument panel of my 2005 DSDP we had to go with 3 separate shade sections, all powered separately, but synchronized in operation. I'm looking forward to giving them a real try out, since once the installation was complete, I drove back home the next day. I plan to use some scrap night shade material to make a cover for the skylight, so next summer I am not awakened at 5:30 am like I was this summer.
Kcoliver, this is the type info I need. My 2005 MADP also has the rounded hump over the instrument and for that reason Brad & Hall out of Elkart In. wouldn't even take measurements for the install of the day/ night shades. (they are authorized dealers for MCD and were at the Louisville show this past summer) From pictures i believe our dash is very similar. Would there be a chance you could take photos of the install of the final product? I really want to have this done but don't want to travel the 700 plus miles to be disappointed. Thanks Dave, by the way i'm just having the cockpit shades done.

Tags
newmar