Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2012, 06:06 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Mcd windshield curtains

We've got a 2005 DSDP and have been thinking of replacing the windshield curtain. Has anyone changed the curtain out and put in MCD shades? If so how did they handle the curve of the windshield?

Thanks!
NHSO
harleychief is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2012, 09:08 PM   #2

We have a 2004 DSDP. Just had MCD in Texas replace all the shades in the coach, including the front windshield. I remove the TV cabinet section behind the front overhead cabinets (previously install a 32" flat screen TV). MCD was able to put in a single one piece electric shade in the windshield. They did have to add a small vertical piece on each side bar to make it seal. We are very pleased with the MCD shades.

The only issue was the installation on the MCD shades for Drivers window, passenger door and window. The shades hung down below the cornice. MCD took care of the issue by installing on each cornice and piece of cherry wood which match the wood inside the coach.

Jim Elliott
2004 DSDP 4011
84 911 Carrera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:43 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Jim, thanks for the info! Did you have to remove the cabinet? I'd love to see the pictures of it. Also the much better half wanted to know if it was expensive.
NHSO
Old 07-01-2012, 08:40 AM   #4

I recently had the MCD Shades installed in the cockpit of my 2007 Mountain Air. I love them. The existing windshield cover used a track system to guide it down. The MCD Shade used that same track so it was an easy installation. I installed both the day and night shade and they are motorized. I left the existing visors in place. I installed 2 new switches on the dash to operate the shades.

In addition, I replaced the night shades on the passenger and driver sides with MCD non-motorized shades. I also replaced the existing motorized day shades with full length motorized day shades, using the existing "shade" switches. All work well and very pleased.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:52 PM   #5

The only cabinet removed was the TV cabinet. It was easy to remove, just lots of screws. Measured the length so the cabinet would be flush with the back side of the cabinets on each side. Took it to a friend that performs wood work and he cut the back side of the TV cabinet off and re fitted the vinyl on the cabinet. Re-installed before we went to MCD.

I do not have any pictures, but will get the wife to take some with her phone and send to you. How would you like the pictures sent to you?

The front dual shade electric was around $700.00, that did not include labor for the install. Total labor for the installation for the coach was just under $ 400.00 dollars, which I thought was very reaonable.

Jim Elliott
2004 DSDP 4011
84 911 Carrera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:39 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Jim - Thanks for the info. I think I can handle the cabinet modification (with a little luck). She can send any pictures to my email, harleychief@bellsouth.net The price does sound reasonable. BTW, yesterday I was putting the outside windshield/side covers back on and noticed that MCD made them, I think that's all it took to convince the wife.
Thanks again - Charlie
NHSO
Old 07-02-2012, 03:43 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here is some added info for you.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote