RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2020, 05:40 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Messed up a HDMI cable connector

Well, the wife and I decided we wanted to put a Roku stick on the bedroom TV. I took out the 5 screws that held the TV to the woodwork over the bedroom window while the wife held the TV. As things go I unhooked the HDMI on the side of the TV and reached around to undo the coax on the bottom along with the power cord. I noticed at this point the HDMI cable that was attached to the port on the back of the TV was bent down. I unhooked it and tried to push it back into the cable and thought all was well. The story gets better. Now I noticed the TV only had two HDMI ports and of course we needed three. I ordered a HDMI switch from good 'ole Amazon and waited for delivery. I got the switch today and went out to put everything together and button the TV job up. I picked up the cable that I thought was OK and the connector came off in my hand. The broken connector was attached to HDMI 1 on the back of the TV and the other HDMI cable has a red band around it and was connected to HDMI 2. I believe the one with the red band is the satellite feed and the other one which is broken is for the DVD player. I tried pulling the cable from the cabinet where the DVD player is located in the bedroom, but it isn't moving.
I am assuming it is not a direct connection between the DVD player and the bedroom TV, but I don't know for sure. Any ideas on how to possibly fix this mess? There is also a wall plate in the cabinet that says rooftop with a RG59 connector. I'm guessing this is a feed from the rooftop satellite dish like in the front living area over the televator TV. There is also a CAT 6 cable coming out of the wall in the bedroom cabinet that goes into a converter to HDMI that is plugged into a HDMI outlet in the wall. Any idea what that feeds? Thanks for any help or information.
Gnewmarvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2020, 06:12 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
On both of our Dutch Stars, the DVD player was in the cabinet just under and to the right of the TV. I'm pretty sure that was a direct connect. I don't see any reason to run the cable anywhere else since the front DVD player operates the TV's up front and outside.

If you don't already know, HDMI cables are NOT repairable.....I've tried. I even tried to hire someone.

If the DVD is close by, I would just fish over a new cable. I'm guessing you can't get the old one to move because they secured it somewhere. If it's not close and you use it a lot, they make a wireless HDMI system, where you attach to boxes that speak to each other. I did that on my first DS where a cable broke.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 06:45 PM   #3

I found that the HDMI connections use a 90 degree elbow that is connected to the HDMI cable connection. If you look at the cable and it has this elbow, just pull the elbow off and use the HDMI connector from the cable itself. They use a very sticky electrical tape to secure the elbow to the HDMI connection from the cable. FYI..I found this on my outdoor tv when I was installing a new articulating arm mount.
PaulTNaples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 10:48 PM   #4

Hate to disagree with DSD, but I just completed the repair of the HDMI cable that plugs into the televator tv on our 2017 DS4369. It was the cable that is fed by the DVD player, and like you the connector got bent hooking up a Roku device and when I tried to straighten it the end of the connector came off.
I bought an hdmi connector repair kit and an hdmi continuity tester from Amazon then cut the bad connector off and rewired it to the repair kit connector. There are 19 wires plus a ground that all have to be rewired exactly as the original connector, but the wiring follows an industry standard pattern. Used the continuity tester to check after every three or four wires that I terminated at the new connector, until the job was done.
It is a tedious job that you canít rush, but can be done. I found a couple of really helpful videos on U Tube.
DEC0717 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 06:52 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for replies.
Paul: My HDMI cable just has a normal straight connector. The connector has separated from the cable leaving the wiring exposed.

DSD: My setup seems to be similar to yours. The DVD player is in an Audio/Video cabinet just below and to the right of the TV. The cable goes thru a hole in the back of the cabinet and probably as you said up to the TV. I'm going to try again today to see if I can get any movement from the cable when trying to pull. If not, then I will probably see if I can get a fish tape to go from one hole to the other. If I'm unable to do this do you have any other suggestion to get the cable from the DVD player to the TV. I thought about just forgetting about it as we don't watch that many DVD's, but the anal side of me can't stand things not being correct. Also, do you happen to know or have any idea what the CAT6/HDMI converted cable plugging into a HDMI on a faceplate may be?

DEC0717: I don't think my skills or patience would let me repair the connector end. I'm pretty much a car guy, but low on the electrical side of things. Glad you got yours repaired.
Gnewmarvt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable