Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2020, 09:04 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Mice the Little Vermin...and Dutch Star

I have had 4 motorhomes and 9 houses and never had a mouse (or a cockroach) in the house until I purchased the 2020 Dutch Star. Coincidence, maybe, but while looking for those dime size holes the little buggers fit their head into, I found a 5" X 4" hole behind each of my macerator toilets. Yes you can look down into the dark abyss behind each commode. My friend with a 2016 Dutch Star has tile and grout and no holes. How is it that Newmar has now improved the 2020 model with an unfinished floor in two areas. In fact, (and I digress) I also noticed a leak at the emergency door that had been going on for some time. The water was running down the door into the basement somewhere as the water never ran out on to the floor where it could be noticed. Yes, the wood that you can easily see is water stained.

So, my question is do you have a late model Dutch Star with giant (to the mice) holes big enough to fit a healthy squirrel through behind your commodes? Possibly mine should be reported to the Newmar Service Team. Youbetcha!

BTW it took 3 bags of 0000 steel wool to just fill the gap for now.

I have a service appointment in August at Camp Newmar. Should I add this to my list, along with the 5 windows that are splitting apart, but I digress...again?

Thanks for the help?

BobbyJ
2020 Dutch $tar 4369
Bobbyj56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2020, 09:22 PM   #2

I am holding off buying another Newmar (moving up to a DutchStar) until I hear about your service visit. Hoping to hear what others have to say. Hope its not the new norm.
Old 06-27-2020, 12:26 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mice the Little Vermin...and Dutch Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbyj56 View Post
.....I found a 5" X 4" hole behind each of my macerator toilets......improved the 2020 model with an unfinished floor in two areas.......
.......Should I add this to my list, along with the 5 windows that are splitting apart...
Yes, I think you should add these holes to your list. I presume this will all be warranty work.
You might also want to speak to whichever attentive person it was who missed these discrepancies on your PDI.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 09:23 AM   #4

I had a mouse problem and couldn't figure out how they were getting into the house (upstairs inside the coach).
I had to pull my washer out and noticed that the water lines came through this cabinet and traveled forward to the kitchen. The hole that was cut into the cabinet was huge compared to what was needed and there was nothing to block anything coming through the hole. On the other side of the cabinet toward the aft, was the pedestal that the toilet sits on. So if a rodent could get in the basement and could find the black tank, the could climb up and into the house.
I found and used this product

First off, know that it is slow rising so it may take 3-4 hours to rise, so don't spray like you would a quick rising foam. Don't use it on any vertical space that you can't build it up from the bottom. I sprayed and filled about a 1/4 of the hole and came back later and it had risen almost all the way to fill the hole, so I filled a little more with the stuff. I did not add wool of any kind, just this foam. I foamed the hole on the side that the pipes went forward also. Not one rodent in the house since then, been over a year now.
When I went to the factory last year I paid them to raise the coach up and hunt and foam places that rodents could get in. I see a couple places they tried to foam but they didn't realize how slow it rises, so a lot of it dripped out. They also made a plexiglas filler that fills the open spaces in the slide tubes (I only have 1 slide). So they know how to do this and have used the foam above - they went out to purchase this to use in my coach after I showed them the can I had.

So anyway, use this foam, I think it is so dense a mouse can't smell through it, as shown in the video, so they don't try to get through it. Check in the washer dryer cabinet, and anywhere pipes come up into the house.
Also, I started using bronze wool where my electric cord and water hose enter the bays. I push the cord/hose into the notch out and then add bronze wool (won't rust) to fill any remaining gap so a rodent can't climb the cord/hose and right into the basement.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 06:14 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mices

We had mice in our 2015 DS. Search for mouse doors yielded a couple holes, grommeted for wiring that a Rat could have got thru. Behind the stationary sofa, passenger side, was a hole about 4" square that went right to wherever it opened into below.
Basement search also offered possible access points, but don't know where they opened to inside, under dresser I think. Steel wooled again. Didn't know about the aforementioned anti-mouse foam. Haven't had any more of the little bastards since. Have to reach under the sofa to back wall to screw the plywood cover over it. Also in two overhead cabinets there were wiring holes, steel wooled now.
Also added the little electronic devices that are supposed to deter them. May not need them but for $14 it won't hurt. Also made an insert that sits on top of the kitchen drawers to keep them out of those drawers, used 3/16 plyboard but anything rigid would probably work. We insert them pre-storage and remove when ready to head out.
Good luck!

Tags
dutch star, mice