Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2022, 11:59 AM   #1

Michelin RV Tires

I am attempting to purchase new tires for our 2017 Dutch Star 4369. The steer tires (365/70R 22.5) are available. The drive and tag tires (315/80R 22.5) in the Michelin X® LINE ENERGY Z COACH are not available. I called Michelin and was told they are experiencing a nationwide shortage due to supply chain issues.

A local truck tire shop suggested I use the Line Haul X MEZ tire. This is a tire for a passenger bus. Michelin told me the only approved tire for RVs is the X® LINE ENERGY Z COACH.

Questions:

1. Anyone know a source for the Michelin X® LINE ENERGY Z COACH?

2. How can I determine if the Line Haul X MEZ is a good alternative?

Thanks,

Rex
and: The Aviators: Stories of Helicopter Combat in Vietnam 1971-72
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2022, 07:45 PM   #2

If in the Southern California area Pete's Tires is good at getting Michelin tires. We just put the same tires on our 18 LA with a total cost of 8.300 dollars. Did take our take off tires and sold them for 100$ each plus didn't have to pay the 125$ disposal fee. Used FMCA program.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 08:25 PM   #3

Tom,

Thanks for the reply.

We are in south, central Texas - Kerrville. The only Michelin Advantage dealers are on the far side of San Antonio. I talked to both and they didn't seem anxious to have my business. We have a truck tire store in Kerrville that sells Michelin but not an Advantage dealer.

When discussing this with Michelin, they told me that the X® LINE ENERGY Z COACH tire is on national backorder.

Rex
and: The Aviators: Stories of Helicopter Combat in Vietnam 1971-72
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 09:38 PM   #4

The difference between the Max Energy Z and the Line Energy Z Coach tires is their maximum weight rating. The strongest MEZ tire can only carry 6k per tire in a duals configuration where the LEZ tires are rated up to 8k per tire in a duals configuration. There's a lot more leeway with loading on the coach tires which is likely why Michelin says no.

The information I looked up may not be entirely accurate because I couldn't find a MEZ tire in 315.
Suburbazine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 10:09 PM   #5

Personally I'd look for other brands. When you are talking about tires for a heavy vehicle there are only a couple considerations in order of importance:

Carrying capacity for each tire. More is better. LOTS more is even better.

Speed limit of the tires - while no, you aren't going to be drag racing, a higher speed rating will often mean a stronger casing and better glue, so the tire doesn't heat up as much while running. Heat is the worst thing in a tire, it leads to failures.

Service type - "regional" or "urban" service are to be avoided, b/c these are tires that will NOT put up with the heat gain of running at highway speeds for hours on end in the summer. "Long Haul" are perfect.

Position - All Position are fine, most steer tires are also all position (but may not say it) where "drive" and "trailer" tires should be avoided unless there are special circumstances.

Beyond that..... Look for tires that are made in the USA or Japan, avoid tires from China. These are truck tires, you will NEVER wear out the tread on them, so that's not even a consideration. I'm partial to Toyo, Yokohama, Cooper, Continental, BFG.... But I also tend to buy used truck tires for my RV, so I'm looking at each tire as an individual for my needs, rather than as a brand representative. If you know what you are looking for / at.... There's a lot of savings to be found.
Old 05-19-2022, 05:28 AM   #6

I contacted NTCS to get 315/80R 22.5 Michelin X® LINE ENERGY Z tires. They had the best price and had them shipped to a shop near me . Date codes on all the tires were within 3 months of the install date. Link below
(Seems like your tires should have more life left in them as they are only 5 years old. )

https://nationaltireconciergeservices.com/
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 05:49 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Michelin RV Tires

Unless you have some wear / cracking issues, changing the fronts and continued use of the 5 year old rear tires might be a good choice. Considering the current shortage and exorbitant pricing 5 years is the earliest tire replacement schedule with 6-7or 8 being used by my some.
Michelin are the highest cost tires you can buy, sometimes double Toyo or other generally acceptable top
Line brands. I would consider others unless Michelin is your only personal choice.
Many have happily chosen others. If ride is a concern , Michelin on the front should satisfy that concern as I would think the rear wouldn’t be as critical to “ride”. My neighbor put Michelin on the front and Hercules on the rear of his Newmar and is thrilled with its ride.
Motorhome tires online had a selection of Michelin a few months ago when I was shopping . you might try them as they use a local mobile installer come to you to install.
Old 05-19-2022, 12:16 PM   #8

Spartan Chassis
Are you married to the Michelin brand? I know that they're hard to get in certain sizes. Are you a member of FMCA? If so, you can get the Continental tires through them as well and the people I've talked to say they're great. I personally wouldn't be concerned about changing out 5 yr. old tires unless they are worn or cracking. Michelin recommends having the tires professionally inspected starting at age 5 and every year after up to age 10 then replace them.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 01:57 PM   #9

I just had Michelin 315/80's installed a few weeks ago ( Apr 13 ) on my front steer positions by Motorhometire.com. They might have the size you need. They contract with tire installers from all over the US and come to you for the install (No high speed balance though). Tires were manufactured 0322. Might be an alternative source to consider
Old 05-22-2022, 05:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by geordi View Post
Personally I'd look for other brands. When you are talking about tires for a heavy vehicle there are only a couple considerations in order of importance:

Carrying capacity for each tire. More is better. LOTS more is even better.

Speed limit of the tires - while no, you aren't going to be drag racing, a higher speed rating will often mean a stronger casing and better glue, so the tire doesn't heat up as much while running. Heat is the worst thing in a tire, it leads to failures.

Service type - "regional" or "urban" service are to be avoided, b/c these are tires that will NOT put up with the heat gain of running at highway speeds for hours on end in the summer. "Long Haul" are perfect.

Position - All Position are fine, most steer tires are also all position (but may not say it) where "drive" and "trailer" tires should be avoided unless there are special circumstances.

Beyond that..... Look for tires that are made in the USA or Japan, avoid tires from China. These are truck tires, you will NEVER wear out the tread on them, so that's not even a consideration. I'm partial to Toyo, Yokohama, Cooper, Continental, BFG.... But I also tend to buy used truck tires for my RV, so I'm looking at each tire as an individual for my needs, rather than as a brand representative. If you know what you are looking for / at.... There's a lot of savings to be found.
Funny how you can get different info when you do a search. I was searching info a while back on Toyo’s and one web site for the M144’s said steer tires and another website said the exact tire could be used all positions.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 07:11 PM   #11

I never run a tire on my coaches over 7 years old based on the DOT date. It's just too risky & a blow out or tread or sidewall delamination can cause $$$$$ in damage and or an accident.

I also add 10% to each actual wheel weights for safety.

Happy Trails
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 06:29 PM   #12

Hi Tom,

How did you go about selling your take off tires?
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 09:09 PM   #13

I posted the tires on Craig's list. Called with 3 hours and pick up the next day. Owns a fleet of dump trucks and says he buys these RV tires often to use the other then steer tires. Worked great for us because we could load them up and take them home. Well worth the time for almost a thousand dollars.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 05:05 PM   #14

contact Jeff at motorhome Tires great company and they come to you and install.

motorhometires.com
bonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
michelin, tire, tires