Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2016, 09:07 PM   #1

Microwave door opens while traveling on bumpy road.

Does anyone have a solution to keep the microwave door from flying open while traveling on bumpy roads? This is on a 2015 Ventana 3635 with the Whirlpool convection/microwave oven.
Thanks

ORescape
ORescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2016, 09:14 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Never had a problem in any of our two Newmars nor in the present rig. I don't remember what the '00 DSDP had but the '02 DSDP and present CC have the Advantium 120's.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 06:26 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Adhesive Hook & Loop tape would work, but not the most esthetic fix. Call the MW manufacturer and see if the hooks can be adjusted.

Mark

Doc Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 06:26 AM   #4

We have a '15 VTDP 3636 with the same microwave unit. We haven't experienced that yet...thankfully. It sounds like your latch is not fully engaging. I just looked at mine. There are two tabs mounted on the door that when closed go into two slots. Inside the slots are white plastic/nylon catches. One or more of these catches may be broken.

Also in that area is a white label that says among other things, that you shouldn't use the microwave if the door does not close securely.

I would quit using the microwave until you at least call a Newmar CSA and explain that the door is not closing securely and the manufacturer defines this as a safety hazard.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 06:27 AM   #5
dms

Don't know if our MA has the same oven, but we had the same problem. We were in Napannee for some warranty issues last month and I asked our tech about a fix. He said they have seen this on other units and the door has no tension adjustment. He recommended he install a latch like on the closet doors, and showed me another unit in for service that he had installed the latch.

I passed, as the latch was too stiff and you had to"Yank" the door open.

When I got home I made a short 1" strap with a snap (like on convertible tops) and fixed it to the screw on the bottom right side of the door. Used the screw already in place for the underside metal plate under the oven. Then mounted the male snap to the bottom of the RH side of the door. The inside of the door is hollow, so I had to drill a starter hole for the screw snap. Works perfectly and is not visible unless you look under the oven.

I had a snap kit, but you find them them at Lowes or HD....cheap. I used a black nylon web strap 1" wide. Cut and burn the ends.
Old 06-03-2016, 02:57 PM   #6

You might look at the baby safety products aisle at your local big box hardware store or best selection at Babies are Us. However, I am surprised to hear this is an issue. Are there any adjustments that can be made to the door hardware to make it a tighter fit?
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 03:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dms View Post
Don't know if our MA has the same oven, but we had the same problem. We were in Napannee for some warranty issues last month and I asked our tech about a fix. He said they have seen this on other units and the door has no tension adjustment. He recommended he install a latch like on the closet doors, and showed me another unit in for service that he had installed the latch.

I passed, as the latch was too stiff and you had to"Yank" the door open.

When I got home I made a short 1" strap with a snap (like on convertible tops) and fixed it to the screw on the bottom right side of the door. Used the screw already in place for the underside metal plate under the oven. Then mounted the male snap to the bottom of the RH side of the door. The inside of the door is hollow, so I had to drill a starter hole for the screw snap. Works perfectly and is not visible unless you look under the oven.

I had a snap kit, but you find them them at Lowes or HD....cheap. I used a black nylon web strap 1" wide. Cut and burn the ends.

Thanks. This sounds like the best solution so far.

ORescape
Old 06-03-2016, 03:43 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Ours does the same thing.

I just cut off a length of double sided Velcro (will stick to its self) and loop it around the microwave handle as well as the handle for the cupboard next to it when prepping for travel.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 05:38 PM   #9

Ours just did this today as we were driving on I-70 through Indiana. I think our glass tray hit it on a big bump and pushed it open. I put the glass tray ( which fortunately stayed in the microwave), in a drawer and had no more problems with it opening.
CherGib70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 07:03 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CherGib70 View Post
Ours just did this today as we were driving on I-70 through Indiana. I think our glass tray hit it on a big bump and pushed it open. I put the glass tray ( which fortunately stayed in the microwave), in a drawer and had no more problems with it opening.
Yup! That sounds like the problem and the fix.

Thanks!
FMCA F451520 - Texas Boomers - RVM#128
Daveht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 04:23 PM   #11

Quote:

Our glass tray frequently jumps out of the spindle, but we never had the door pop open. Since others are reporting a correlation between the glass tray jumping and the door opening, I will now stow my glass tray in a drawer..
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 10:18 PM   #12

Quote:

We will give this a try on our next trip. Thanks for the tip!

ORescape

Tags
door, travel