Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2020, 07:59 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Spartan Chassis
Microwave Outside Vent

Sitting in Little Rock with this big storm blowing thru and we noticed that the wind is coming in around the microwave pretty strong. Is this as designed, or is something broke that should prevent air coming in. Thanks!

OK city is next stop, and will be colder and higher winds, so fixing this would help!

Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2020, 08:46 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
If yours is like ours it’s not actually ducted to the vent with a sealed duct so lots of air infiltration.

Some vents have latches to solve the problem, although ours is so high I need a ladder to reach it.

Regards,

Randy
groswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 10:02 PM   #3

Go outside and LOOK at you microwave Vent Cover

Some have a 'damper' that can be closed/locked......some close due to exterior pressure (wind) and some are open design
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 10:32 AM   #4

Ours also allows a draft from the outside vent to the filters under the microwave when the wind blows. If it is cold and we're parked for a while, I cut a piece of reflectix a little larger than the outside vent and tape it down with some 2" blue painters tape. It makes a noticeable difference.
Old 01-02-2021, 02:36 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfg9585 View Post
Sitting in Little Rock with this big storm blowing thru and we noticed that the wind is coming in around the microwave pretty strong. Is this as designed, or is something broke that should prevent air coming in. Thanks!

OK city is next stop, and will be colder and higher winds, so fixing this would help!

Thanks!
When we installed a new Microwave in our previous 2002 DSDP the vent flap was not there. Newmar requests that it not be put in place, at lease back then because of pressure build up with the dryer, I believe.(?) So we also left it off when installing the new one. The vent duct flaps are usually generic and could be put on over the fan motor of the microwave once removed. Or you can look at a roof top vent cover that has it's own duct flap to prevent backflow into the coach.
Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 04:04 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
We were outside St. Louis in early Nov. wind gusts to 50+mph. We delayed a day due to the winds. I noticed the major draft from the microwave. The wind was broadside into the microwave vent. I took a towel and stuffed it all around the microwave. It would billow out from the force of the wind. I was thinking, must be some problem to fix when ai get home.
The next day, normal day, normal winds, no draft. I think the wind velocity (which was certainly above normal) must have over powered the flapper.
Old 01-03-2021, 08:24 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Spartan Chassis
Thanks all! Will check it out asap, right now trying to get a windshield fixed that has tried to pop out, and on the road is not easy.
Old 01-04-2021, 08:12 PM   #8

I had a Triple E Motorhome and it had a powered vent cover on the exterior for the hood fan. I am very surprised that Newmar does not use the same thing.
Redram99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
microwave, vent