Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2008, 03:48 PM   #1

I'm going back to my closest Newmar dealer tomorrow. They claim they really want to sell the Ventana I looked at last week. Well, they'll have to come down a lot more if they want me to sign.

So far, they've only come down 10% from MSRP. There's another Ventana 3942 in PA. That dealer offered 25% off MSRP with just 1 email. If my dealer can't come down at least that amount, I'll walk out and head to PA next weekend.

I'm not sure if this is a good idea, but I'll also try to get about 27% off of ordering a 2009 Allstar 4154 with the exact options I want.

The Ventana would save me a lot of money, and has everything I need. Stuff the I want that it doesn't have can be added later (Kingdome).
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2008, 03:48 PM   #2

I'm going back to my closest Newmar dealer tomorrow. They claim they really want to sell the Ventana I looked at last week. Well, they'll have to come down a lot more if they want me to sign.

So far, they've only come down 10% from MSRP. There's another Ventana 3942 in PA. That dealer offered 25% off MSRP with just 1 email. If my dealer can't come down at least that amount, I'll walk out and head to PA next weekend.

I'm not sure if this is a good idea, but I'll also try to get about 27% off of ordering a 2009 Allstar 4154 with the exact options I want.

The Ventana would save me a lot of money, and has everything I need. Stuff the I want that it doesn't have can be added later (Kingdome).
Old 04-05-2008, 07:06 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm on the brink of ordering a coach myself, if you don't mind, I'd love to know where you're finding the best price. I'm terrible at bargaining with people, but simply can't afford a new coach unless I can find it in the 25 -28% off MSRP range. so far the best that I've found has been 22% of, which isn't bad, and the salesman tells me at that price they're only making $2k profit, but the additional $9-15K could keep me out of a used coach
Old 04-05-2008, 10:22 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I don't believe that $2k profit to be accurate. Generally the markup in the RV industry is about 40%, which equates to about 28.5% off MSRP. I'm pretty sure Newmar is in this range as well, I've heard 28%. Anyway, at only 22% off MSRP, the dealer is making quite a bit more than $2k, unless the MSRP of whatever you're buying is only $33,333. If you're talking about a DP at around say $250k, they'd be making about $15k. General consensus is that 25% is a fair deal, better can be done if you work hard, but I would recommend to walk away unless you can get 25%. Good luck.
Alan
Old 04-05-2008, 10:51 AM   #5

There is a MSRP off poll floating around, search for it.

Don't settle for less than 25% and you can get a little more as well if you shop and play your cards right.

2008 Saturn Vue
Old 04-05-2008, 11:07 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Yeah, here is a link to the poll Percentage Off Poll, hopefully that worked, first time posting a link. We managed about 26.5%, but even at that, looks like we could have done better. According to the poll, a good number of people manage to get around 27% to 28% off. On the other hand, you have to way things like having a local or good service dealer in to how much those percentages are worth.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:36 AM   #7
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">having a local or good service dealer in to how much those percentages are worth. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with this. We didn't get as much of a discount as we would have liked, but I took into account the dealer was local, close to where we store our MH, easy to get to & they had 3 master certified techs on staff. To us, the few extra % we paid was worth the dealer's convenience/service factor.

As many other members have stated before, a good price deal is nothing without the service after the sale to back it up.

L-
There is great need for a sarcasm font.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:47 AM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NLOVNIT:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">having a local or good service dealer in to how much those percentages are worth. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As many other members have stated before, a good price deal is nothing without the service after the sale to back it up.
L- </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unless your are handy, have time and enjoy fixing your problems which in this industry, just like boating, is happening quite often.

Our previous coach was boought from a local dealer(who had an excellent service department) at a competitive price similiar to others-but-they were out of business six months later.

Our current coach has had the normal 50-60 issues, but other than going to Cummins service reps twice the only problem in fixing the issues ourselves has been getting the parts from Newmar(either direct or thru our dealer).
Old 04-05-2008, 12:17 PM   #9

OK, for those of you who are getting 28-30% off of MSRP, are you REALLY sure you were get that much off the real MSRP?

I learned some new math today. First, there's a Ventana with bunks at Ansley RV in PA. It looks to have fewer options that the one I test drove today (more on that in another post). But, the MSRP of the one at Ansley is listed as $7000 higher. Hmmmmm.

Well, my salesman said they really want to get rid of the on they have on the lot with an MSRP of $220,468. So, I took that, multiplied it by .7 (30% off) and got $154,327. I offered $155,000.

He came back and said I was waaaay too low. Okle Dokle. You see, here's how we calculate 30% off. We take a markup by multiplying the MSRP by 1.2. Then we take 30% off.

He came back with $169,500. Let's see, $220,468 - $169,500 = $50,958.

$50,968/$220,468 = 23%

That's not too bad, I guess. But we left saying we'd think about it.

25% would be $165,351. Considering this is a 2008, and the 2009s are coming, I would think they could do better than 25%.

Am I nuts? Well, if you knew me you'd say yes, but on this particular issue, am I nuts?

Again, are those of you getting massive amounts off of MSRP looking at the real MSRP?
Old 04-05-2008, 12:21 PM   #10

To make things easier to read, here's my driving report.

I've never driven a motorhome before. I have driven a Uhaul once, and my U.S.S. 2006 Dodge Ram Mega Cab CTD with a 20' trailer.

There are certain things that are instictive after driving cars for years that have to change.

One is the fact that there's no nose to this thing. I was amazed when the salesman backed the beast back into it's cramped parking spot with little maneauvering room.

On the highway, the thing is a breeze. I just kept checking the convex mirrors to be sure I was still in my lane.

I really like the exhaust brake, too.

The backup camera that puts the dots over the picture is really cool too. I can see using that a lot.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:28 PM   #11

Don't get bamboozled.

We just got done buying the coach in my sig.

MSRP (not an inflated BS price but the number on the Newmar sheet)

Add your options. Not specials but options. Get the total.

Multiply that by .75 for 25% off

You have to add sales tax to that, title fees and any specials (prior to the tax).

You can do better than 25%, don't sweat it if you don't sometimes its worth paying a little more for a local dealer. You shouldn't have to give up very much for a local guy, we didn't. Don't forget your warranty is one year. After that you are paying for it regardless so how much is it worth to you having a local guy for 1 year?

If a dealer was trying to screw around and add 20% before taking the discount I'd tell him to kiss my rear end and walk. Don't bother with BS artists like that. If thats the kind of corporate culture there then don't support it by buying from them.

Let me add, Newmar sheets clearly have the MSRP marked on the tops. Many dealers have them listed and available for download from their websites. DO NOT deal with dealers that want to play games with the numbers. They are readily available.

2008 Saturn Vue
Old 04-05-2008, 12:54 PM   #12
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">OK, for those of you who are getting 28-30% off of MSRP, are you REALLY sure you were get that much off the real MSRP? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Many Newmar buyers pay 28% off list with no problems.

Newmar publishes MSRPs, so it is very easy to determine your discount.

Remember markup percentage is not the same as discount percentage.

Old 04-05-2008, 03:42 PM   #13

Well, I have some time to think about it. I don't think 25% off should be a problem, but apparently it was today.

Except for the price negotiation, I like this dealership.

I'll keep looking at the options available, including dealers further away.
Old 04-05-2008, 04:21 PM   #14

RoadRunner, you will need to try a few unles you get lucky the first dealer. When I was searching I was told my a dealer in Boulder CO that 20% was at his cost and that he was breaking even. 30 minutes later I found Aloha RV and got the same coach at just below 28%. Leisure Tyme in FL swore that he was at cost at 22% and Midway in MI swore he was losing money if he gave me 23%. I think they are just trying to get all they can. You just have to be patient and polite until you find the right deal.

Also, I do not agree with the buy local theory. The dealers get paid to perform your service work and will collect money from Newmar no matter where you are from. You might get to the head of the line buying local but they will still do the work. Plus, most dealers have the sales and service on two different budgets so profit is the key.

Wife, 3 kids, and mother-in-law
Closed Thread