Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2022, 04:59 PM   #1

MIL Lamp

Took delivery of my 22 DS4311 from North Trail about 2 weeks ago. Embarked on our 600 mile trip home to AL. About 100 miles into the trip I noticed the MIL lamp was lit. Contacted Newmar and they brought Freightliner into the conversation. The rep thought it was probably nothing and advised we could continue the trip home but to go to Freightliner service center when possible. Did that and got the bad news today. Cummins agreed it is a turbo and/or actuator problem, but would only approve the replacement of the turbo. FL would then retest and if the problem continued they would then approve the actuator. Well as expected both are on back order.

This is ridiculous - 2000 miles and no trips I could be facing 2-3 months of shut down. Someone at Newmar needs to get Cummins to take care of this and send us the parts from the production line. FL has agreed to install the turbo, then test and if needed install the actuator. If not needed they will send it back to Cummins.

Can anyone tell me who to call at Newmar to get some relief.

Ron
Eighthc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2022, 06:25 PM   #2

You aren't going to get Newmar to take the turbo off a chassis to put on your coach. What would suggest is to go to a independent shop and get them to get you back on the road. Then would work with Newmar, Cummins and FL to pay for the repairs. This problem with shortage of parts is nation wide.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 06:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom chelbana View Post
You aren't going to get Newmar to take the turbo off a chassis to put on your coach. What would suggest is to go to a independent shop and get them to get you back on the road. Then would work with Newmar, Cummins and FL to pay for the repairs. This problem with shortage of parts is nation wide.
Newmar Man
I wasn’t suggesting that Newmar solve the problem just asking them to pressure Cummins to correct the problem.
Old 02-01-2022, 06:56 PM   #4

MIL lamp?
outlawten5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 07:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawten5 View Post
MIL lamp?
Me too, I thought it was a dash light for when the MIL was on board. I usually know when that is going on and I like my MIL. Sorry eighthc just trying to add a little levity to your problem. As to your issue I think it is just a sign of the times we are living in, but it still sucks.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 07:07 PM   #6

Quote:
MIL lamp?
Looks like a check engine lamp but does not have an exclamation point. Apparently it monitors the exhaust system.
Old 02-01-2022, 07:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcaguy View Post
Me too, I thought it was a dash light for when the MIL was on board. I usually know when that is going on and I like my MIL. Sorry eighthc just trying to add a little levity to your problem. As to your issue I think it is just a sign of the times we are living in, but it still sucks.
I get it!
Old 02-01-2022, 10:30 PM   #8

I dont have a MIL. What does it mean?
Old 02-01-2022, 10:34 PM   #9

Not dissing you Eighthc. Just not sure.
Old 02-01-2022, 10:57 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Malfunction Information Lamp (MIL)
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 04:45 AM   #11

North Trail is a certified FL repair shop. Mike Phillips is the DSDP service manager there and has helped us many times getting things fixed. Also, Newmar has a rep there who assists in expediting decision making. Might be worth a try to give them a call to discuss your predicament.
Old 02-02-2022, 06:00 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eighthc View Post
Took delivery of my 22 DS4311 from North Trail about 2 weeks ago. Embarked on our 600 mile trip home to AL. About 100 miles into the trip I noticed the MIL lamp was lit. Contacted Newmar and they brought Freightliner into the conversation. The rep thought it was probably nothing and advised we could continue the trip home but to go to Freightliner service center when possible. Did that and got the bad news today. Cummins agreed it is a turbo and/or actuator problem, but would only approve the replacement of the turbo. FL would then retest and if the problem continued they would then approve the actuator. Well as expected both are on back order.

This is ridiculous - 2000 miles and no trips I could be facing 2-3 months of shut down. Someone at Newmar needs to get Cummins to take care of this and send us the parts from the production line. FL has agreed to install the turbo, then test and if needed install the actuator. If not needed they will send it back to Cummins.

Can anyone tell me who to call at Newmar to get some relief.

Ron
I would be on North Trail like flies on cow manure……typical of them…you pay your money then nothing…..like crickets
Clemson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 07:03 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemson View Post
I would be on North Trail like flies on cow manure……typical of them…you pay your money then nothing…..like crickets

Having bought three coaches from North Trail and considering a 4th, you couldn’t be farther from the truth. First…North Trail didn’t manufacture the engine. Cummins did. The OP had driven away from North Trail a few hundred miles and then the issues presented. Now the issue as I see it is the lack of parts to correct the problem. Once again not North Trail’s doing. Now a better solution is for the OP to contact Newmar and have them facilitate a call between Cummins, Freightliner and see what can be done. If at that time it’s best for the OP, have Cummins pick up the cost of towing it back to North Trail for the work to be done. Since the parts are unavailable doubt that’s going to happen.
PaulTNaples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 07:37 AM   #14

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
I dont have a MIL. What does it mean?
Malfunction Indicator Lamp Lamp
It's like a VIN number or PIN number...
A Vehicle Identification Number Number or Personal Information Number Number.
Injuneer is offline   Reply With Quote