Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2005, 03:04 AM   #1

Here's one. I had to store our Kountry Star fiver in Florida for over eight months. When I picked it up, the vinyl, in places had grown mildew stains. I can not get them off, and have tried everything short of dynomite. I am considering, rather than replacing all the damaged vinyl, having them painted white again. The basement storage doors have the same vynl trim and its painted to match the color scheme of the rig. Any ideas?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2005, 03:04 AM   #2

Here's one. I had to store our Kountry Star fiver in Florida for over eight months. When I picked it up, the vinyl, in places had grown mildew stains. I can not get them off, and have tried everything short of dynomite. I am considering, rather than replacing all the damaged vinyl, having them painted white again. The basement storage doors have the same vynl trim and its painted to match the color scheme of the rig. Any ideas?
Old 06-12-2005, 07:16 PM   #3

.....If Streak-X doesn't get them off try swimming pool shock 10% Clorox ingredent and water....if that doens't work try paint....use a sealer like Kilz under the paint....geofkaye
Old 06-13-2005, 02:15 AM   #4

Thanks Kaye, I'll try the "shock" treatment. Funny, I was watching TV last night and saw a commercial for denture cleaning. If a string of pearls is soaked in cherrys and a denture cleaner is used, why not the vinyl? Worth a try.

Thanks again.
Old 06-13-2005, 06:53 AM   #5

Try Clorox pencil. This allows you to put the bleach on a very narrow spot. Rinse immediately. Mr. Clean Erasre by itself (do NOT mixed with the bleach) may also remove. It may also remove the shine on the vinyl strip.
jojolima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 09:24 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
I had the same problem on the vinyl stripping around the belt-line and around the door on a Carri-Lite 5er that I had. Tried everything but could not keep them looking good. Finally decided to replace the stripping. Did not cost as much as I thought and it looked good. Had planned to paint the stripping but ended up getting a new unit before I got it done.
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 09:00 PM   #7

Terry, did you have it done or did you do it your self? I thought about doing it myself when the rv guy said it would cost about $2.00 a foot if he did it. Is that about right?
Old 06-14-2005, 01:34 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Yes sir, I did it myself. I think I paid about 38 cents per foot(I think). But I want to make sure we are talking about the exact same thing, so I have included a photo of the left-over vinyl that I have. It is 3/4 inch wide. Take a look and let me know if this is what you need.

Old 06-15-2005, 03:29 AM   #9

Sure looks like it. I have to replace glazing material also. The rig really took a hit from this mildew. We are on the road right now (NW Wisconsin), but as soon as we return to port, I have some time to pull a piece off just to be sure and take it to the Newmar folks up the road. Thanks for takin the time with this. I'll post my results as soon as I accomplish this. I gotta try that denture stuff though!
Old 06-15-2005, 06:44 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
rhandley,

When you get a chance send me an email about this, maybe I can help you out with this.
Old 06-15-2005, 07:23 AM   #11

I will. Thank you!
Old 08-08-2005, 05:57 AM   #12

I also had this problem on my 5er. was given an old solution by a fellow camper. Use mineral spirits on either a rough sponge or a old rag. Cleans up real nice and it's cheap to do. Just rememer to wash off right away with soap & water.
Old 08-08-2005, 07:02 AM   #13

To fix the rubber molding that is black and stained use this.

Remove old molding, it is very easy, mix up in a 5 gal bucket a mixture of soap and very strong bleach. Let molding soak over night. It comes out of the bucket looking like brand new.

For you that have white rubber molding in your windows, use the Clorex Bleach pin. Before using it, wash the rig or windows to get all surface durt off. Them rub the bleach pin on the rubber. It has a scrubby tip and works great. Let the bleach stay on there overnight. It will dry to a hard substance. It is wasy to remove the next morning with a wet wash rag and easy rubbing. Some stains may remain. Re-apply and let sit till the next day. Usually the second application will have your window moldings looking like you put new windows in.

Note, when trying bleach or anything strong do not let it run down over the decals. It will take the color out of the vynal. Been there, done that.

Jim