RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2014, 01:37 PM   #1

Mineral oil in batteries

How much oil do you put in each cell? I would like to stop the gas corrosion.

Thanks for any info

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2014, 01:42 PM   #2

Couple oz per cell--idea is to cover the water with a film. Mineral oil is not conductive so not a major issue if it ever touches the plates. Probably wont use MO for new bats but after 3-4 years, it really helps with the gassing/evap.....

Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 01:53 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
There are many good threads available on this site, simply use the iRV2 search engine near the top of the page. I am including one that I read recently. Remember to protect your eyes! Good luck!

Bruce

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/miner...ow-220607.html
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 03:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrypair View Post
How much oil do you put in each cell? I would like to stop the gas corrosion.
Thanks for any info
countrypair
If your charging systems are working correctly, (and if your batteries are GOOD), batteries WILL NOT gas.

Putting mineral oil in batteries is like putting a band-aid on a broken leg...(it may cover up the problem.... but does not FIX it).

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 03:20 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
countrypair
If your charging systems are working correctly, (and if your batteries are GOOD), batteries WILL NOT gas.

Putting mineral oil in batteries is like putting a band-aid on a broken leg...(it may cover up the problem.... but does not FIX it).

Mel
'96 Safari
Hello, Mel. I thought one of the reasons to use the mineral oil was to keep the water from evaporating. Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks!

Bruce
Old 10-10-2014, 03:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebug5 View Post
Hello, Mel. I thought one of the reasons to use the mineral oil was to keep the water from evaporating. Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks!
Bruce
Bruce
I suspect the "charge settings" of your your battery charger, (or of your inverter/charger), are incorrectly set.....read the battery charger, (or inverter/charger), "owners manual".

Either that or 1 or more of your batteries have gone bad...
have the batteries "load tested".

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 03:53 PM   #7

Minneral oil in batteries

Quote:
countrypair

Mel
'96 Safari

You are soooo correct.
If your battery and charge system are good, and the terminals clean, tight, and sealed, there is no gassing or boiling. I have properly cared for batteries since 1965.
I had to add a small amount of distilled water 9 months ago while here in AZ, and there is no corrosion anywhere!
Maybe adding MO would not hurt, but my batteries simply do not need it.

https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 04:10 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I fought for years to keep the acid down in my Monaco Diplomat. I added the mineral oil and the battery caps that were suppose to recover the gas and return it back to the battery. I slowed it down, but never solved it. One day, I was looking at a friend's Diplomat and found that his battery bay was bone dry and dusty. This is when I realized that my charger was improperly set.

I called the maker of my inverter (Magnum) and they walked me through the correct settings. That was it, no matter gas issues. I later installed new batteries and the ProFill battery watering system. My Diplomat was now clean and dry.

With that said, not all battery chargers work as well as others. In some cases the mineral oil can slow down the off gassing. For me, I would add the ProFill Watering system before doing anything else. It seals off the battery and prevents off gassing.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 04:10 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Bruce
I suspect the "charge settings" of your your battery charger, (or of your inverter/charger), are incorrectly set.....read the battery charger, (or inverter/charger), "owners manual".

Either that or 1 or more of your batteries have gone bad...
have the batteries "load tested".

Mel
'96 Safari
Our son accidentally snagged the 50-amp power cord with his monster truck mirror, ripping the receptacle from the side of the coach, pulling the wiring out with it! We are working with a certified RV electrician, along with Progressive Industries, to move the receptacle into the electrical compartment along with the PI EMS. So, I currently run the genny for an hour every week or so to keep the batteries charged, and may have to simply remove them and place them on a charger. Once everything is repaired and I can plug into power again, I will check the Xantrax unit as you have recommended. I will also test the batteries. I will let you know how it turns out, and thank you for all the advice!

Bruce
Old 10-10-2014, 04:11 PM   #10

Whoa there

Batteries lose water mostly by dis-association, overcharging electric current breaks down the H2O into H2 and O. Not boiling= too hot. If your battery is so hot it is boiling, you have a serious problem. Batteries charge up to about 80% without to much gassing. more gassing at 80 to 90% and over 90% they can gas a lot. If the charging current is reduced at 90% charge, the H2 +O recombine in the cells and while the battery is brought up to 100% you lose almost no water. H2 and O will just bubble up through that mineral oil.
If you have a conventional battery (not sealed) they even sell battery caps that contain a catalyst that will promote this recombining for the very small amount of gas given off in a proper charge curve.
There are lots of threads here about overcharging and how to measure your charge current. Dedicated 100 Amp shunts (resistors) to put in the charger to battery circuit so you can measure the charge current are less than $20 on eBay.
Starsekr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 04:49 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to mike.t Send a message via MSN to mike.t Send a message via Yahoo to mike.t
Mineral oil in batteries? Is this more to do with RVs due to the charging system? Distilled water? Is this because of the yuk you find in well water.Seem's if it is ok to drink there is not a lot of salt ect..Just asking.
Thanks
Mike
Old 10-10-2014, 05:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
Mineral oil in batteries? Is this more to do with RVs due to the charging system? Distilled water? Is this because of the yuk you find in well water.Seem's if it is ok to drink there is not a lot of salt ect..Just asking.
Thanks
Mike

It is both.
A defective charger can cook a battery.
Anything but distilled water contains minerals that will deposit on the cell plates and short out the cells.

Old 10-10-2014, 05:17 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our OEM Interstate U-2200 batteries lasted one month short of 10 years. I put 4 oz of mineral oil in each cell at about 2 years old.
Here are pictures of them after about 8 years. I still have the original tie downs and, after some 12 years there is still very little corrosion. In fact the battery compartment is cleaner and has less corrosion after 12 years than our previous DSDP did after 2.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery1.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	338.9 KB
ID:	76245   Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery2.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	370.2 KB
ID:	76246  

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 05:42 PM   #14

Minneral oil in batteries

I had a 96 class A. Replaced coach batts in 2001, were still great when I traded in 2011. No MO. Just proper charging and a bit of dist water about once per year.
Some folks get behind the 8-ball when they ignore their batts and they get low in water, fry the batts, fry the charger, etc.
Last Fall, a big boom. Batt blew up on the neighbors MH. Was gassing. Took out the other 3. Acid everywhere! No, he never checked them. Charger was toasted too.
Keep-full systems are okay, and may prevent some problems. But I prefer to actually look at mine and fill as required. A couple minutes a month, and full peace of mind.

Tags
batteries