Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2020, 04:56 PM   #1

Mini green Egg

Hi All,

Does anyone travel with a mini green egg or a mini max green egg? I love mine and want to take it on the coach but its 80 lbs and not the easiest thing to take out and setup. I usually spend only 3 or 4 days at a time before moving on. Thoughts?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2020, 06:44 PM   #2

Hey we all have our priorities & interests.
Do you really care if others do or dont do what you do?
Do what interests you and if it's a great meal from a green egg do it, enjoy it and dont be concerned if other cook their steak, chicken hot dogs etc in their microwave!
If I ordered take out when RVing would you be compelled to do the same? I hope not.
I love oysters on the grill but could care less whether others feel the same or NOT!
Seriously figure out what YOU like any do it.
Different story if you are looking for ways to make it easier or doable.
Sorry if that comes across improperly but I really support anyone doing what they like, value and willing to spend time and effort on.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 09:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
Hey we all have our priorities & interests.
Do you really care if others do or dont do what you do?
Do what interests you and if it's a great meal from a green egg do it, enjoy it and dont be concerned if other cook their steak, chicken hot dogs etc in their microwave!
If I ordered take out when RVing would you be compelled to do the same? I hope not.
I love oysters on the grill but could care less whether others feel the same or NOT!
Seriously figure out what YOU like any do it.
Different story if you are looking for ways to make it easier or doable.
Sorry if that comes across improperly but I really support anyone doing what they like, value and willing to spend time and effort on.
Wow. Somebody sounds like they could use a glass of wine. Or twist up a doobie there Don. Perhaps I was not clear with my question. For that I am sorry.I was trying to ask if anyone currently travels with the mini max size Green Egg to see if they had any tips/tricks with regard to storing in the bays or easy setup.
Old 06-07-2020, 05:07 AM   #4

Our Mini Max. It sits on a 3/4” piece of plywood. And yes, it takes both of us to lift it in / out and move it around. On the other hand, while we are retired we are younger than most retirees and in pretty good shape.

I have thought about making a small platform with rollers to move it around on once we get it out, but just doesn’t seem very practical for most “campsites”, and don’t really want something else to haul around.

Other than just an overnight stay, we use it all the time, probably 5 nights a week and we travel quite a bit; 42,000 miles in 5 years, about 5 months each year.

Didn’t think the really small Mini was big enough to cook more than a couple burgers.....

Regards
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	383672E9-A13D-4DB1-B90F-2D3DF70F6F47.jpeg
Views:	34
Size:	189.6 KB
ID:	288560  
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 05:39 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
I carry a Kamado Joe JR which is similar to the mini egg. It weighs 80 lbs and it is heavy. I am very careful when I get it out and I only do it for week long or more. When I take it out it only goes far enough to clear the bay door opening.

David Bott of Outside Our Bubble also carries a Kamado Jr. I am sure there are more.
2000 CC Magna #5840 2017 Chevrolet Equinox
Air Force One braking
Griffin379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 06:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponserv View Post
Wow. Somebody sounds like they could use a glass of wine. Or twist up a doobie there Don. Perhaps I was not clear with my question. For that I am sorry.I was trying to ask if anyone currently travels with the mini max size Green Egg to see if they had any tips/tricks with regard to storing in the bays or easy setup.
My apologies if my comments came across wrong.
I guess I missed the fact that you were really looking for tips, tricks, techniques on how to store it.
I read it more of a survey of who carries / uses one.
I would guess it's a fairly small % of RVers but my point was you should not worry about what a majority do. If you value something do it regardless of whether anyone else is in the same camp.
I have a good friend with 2 different size eggs and he loves them.
Enjoy yours and again my apologies!
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 09:22 AM   #7

We have a Mini Max Green Egg and would not travel without it. I agree it is not the easiest to move in and out of the bay by myself but it can be done. I normally ask the wife to help. I have even asked a neighbor camper to help move it.
I like the idea on the plywood base from Betr2Trvl.
Old 06-07-2020, 05:02 PM   #8

We also travel with a Kamado Joe Jr. We liked the size better than the real mini BGE and the price better than the MiniMax.

We've done small pork butts, entire racks of ribs (cut in half to fit), whole chickens, and plenty of burgers, sausage, ABTs, etc.

We put the Joe in the site's fire ring (if it has one).

If we only stayed 3-4 days in a place I'm not sure we would travel with it (we also have a Napoleon TravelQ gas grill we travel with. But for week or longer stays (especially month or summer-long ones) we love it.
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 05:32 PM   #9

We had and large BGE at our house and when we started full timing I went to the Eggfest in Atlanta and got the biggest one that I could pickup and would fit in one of the storage bays. It is a medium size.

I wife got me a mini-max. It is OK, and easier to move around but I still like the medium to cook on. I have not found a good way to get it in or out of the RV. I have thought or wondered if there would be a way to put it on a small pull out slide or something like that. So I guess I will still use it as long as I can pick it up and move it.

Cheers,
superiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 07:51 PM   #10

Years ago, lived in an apartment on the 2nd floor and an Air Force friend bought me a small Kamado (Egg predecessor )and I made a small plywood platform with wheels and a ramp to get over the step and would push it in and out of the hall closet.
coachmanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 09:14 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We have an extra large BGE at home. I found all of the ceramic grills too heavy to load and unload in our motorhome. We have been using the Char-Griller Akorn JR and it has worked great. I've done long cooks - no problem. It puts out the charcoal when closed up same as BGE. Its only 40 lbs.
12Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 09:29 AM   #12

I use a large Egg at home a few times a week but do not travel with one -- I wish I could. My Egg is bigger than my trailer!

I have seen an Egg inside a stout steel hoop, attached to a drawbar, inserted into the hitch receiver on the back of a trailer. The owner then cooked on the Egg while it was still in its hoop. The whole setup was very heavy and strong. No fear of the Egg falling off in transit.

The owner said that they left the Egg on the back of the trailer all the time -- did not ever take it out of the hoop.
profdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 09:59 AM   #13
FCO

We have been traveling with our Mini-Max for 4 1/2 years. Will not leave home without. We also carry a small Weber Q for quick dinners or when parks won’t allow us to burn wood.

Enjoy!
Old 06-16-2020, 12:25 PM   #14

Similar FCO in a previous post, my wife and I travel with a Mini Green Egg and a propane Weber Q 100. While the Mini-Max was not available when we purchased our mini, I still think I would purchase a Mini over the Mini-Max because of its weigh.

The Mini handles our chicken, burgers, individual pizzas, etc. enough for 2 people.

If I routinely had to cook for more than 2 people, I probably would move up to the next larger sizes of Egg and Q.