RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2016, 10:18 AM   #1

Minor Annoyances

I have owned my 2014 4037 Ventana for three years on December 16 of this year. We have been very pleased with the coach. We have had several problems, some big and some small. We are currently spending the winter in Arizona and will live in the coach for 4 months. I have a couple of things which are a recurring headache.

Number one. The latches on the drawers. The plastic ones that keep the drawers from sliding out while traveling. I am 6'3" tall, 225 pounds and the latches on the bottom row of drawers in the bedroom are mighty difficult for me to get at. I pray the latch on drawer below the wardrobe in the bathroom doesn't fail. That will be a tough corner to get to.

Number two. The upper flipper cabinet doors. The hinges release from the doors requiring removal of the doors, resetting the expansion plugs which allow the door to be attached to the hinge. I always add wood glue to the hole for the plug and allow it to dry with the plug in place before reinstalling the door hopefully eliminating another occurrence. Gee whiz. Can't this be done at the factory?

I just finished a drawer latch replacement and have had two flipper door repairs since we have been in Arizona. I imagine cheap Chinese junk is the culprit and wonder how much more, if any, a coach would cost to use quality, durable and non annoying hardware that would stand a better chance of consistent performance.

Merry Christmas

dane63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2016, 10:55 AM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
You didn't say if any of the latches have broken. Does that mean you are just worried they might? I'm 6'2" and almost 100 pounds heavier than you, I don't understand how that affects changing a latch, just sit down or bend over.

If you're discussing this latch...... https://accessories.lazydays.com/rv-...Heated%20Hoses There is a reason why they break. The part mounted to the frame has an arm that moves when you close the cabinet or drawer. Often, people knock that arm into the closed position while placing items in the drawer and then try to close the drawer, when it doesn't close, they slam it a little harder, breaking the arm off. If a drawer doesn't feel right, check the latch and make sure the arm hasn't closed. If it has, take a screwdriver or a butter knife and pry it back open.

I'm lost on what you're describing on the upper doors. Are you talking about the ones that lift up and are supported by pistons? Can you provide a photo, yours must be different than mine. I don't understand what you're calling an expansion plug, unless you added some type of plug to where the OEM holes were. Maybe with a picture, we can give you some ideas.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 12:15 PM   #3

I agree that the drawer latches are very stiff. My wife has trouble opening them but they won't fly open traveling down the road at least. Never had a problem with the upper cabinet hinges so I am wondering if you have the vinyl wrapped cabinets rather than the optional hardwood ones which I have. That could make a difference and maybe why hardwood is now standard on the Ventana.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 09:13 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I'm lost on what you're describing on the upper doors. Are you talking about the ones that lift up and are supported by pistons? Can you provide a photo, yours must be different than mine. I don't understand what you're calling an expansion plug, unless you added some type of plug to where the OEM holes were. Maybe with a picture, we can give you some ideas.
I have had the same problem with the upper cabinet doors, which lift up and are supported by pistons. The metal hinge is not screwed directly into the wood of the door. Rather there is a pre-drilled hole in the door with a plastic expansion plug pressed into it. The hinge is screwed into the plastic plug. After some use these plastic plugs pull out of the pre-drilled hole and of course the screw comes out with it. I had Newmar fix some under warranty. The fix was to squirt some glue into the pre-drilled hole, press the plastic plug back into the hole and then screw the hinge into the plastic plug. The tech gave me the remaining glue (SIKAFLEX) in the tube to use on (two) future repairs, which I did myself.
Old 12-24-2016, 09:56 AM   #5

Can't upload from my phone but Here's another solution. Just search for: Plastic Dowels and Dowel Screws for Blum Hinges. They are exact replacement and I keep spares in the RV.

Plastic Dowels and Dowel Screws for Blum Hinges
Plastic dowel and dowel screw for European hinge push-in type installations.
Used on manufactured wood products where wood screws do not hold well.
Plastic dowel and dowel screw are sold separately.
Dowel measures 21/64" diameter by 27/64" long (or 8mm by 11mm).
Dowel screw is a #6 flat head screw and is 1/2" in length.
Old 12-24-2016, 09:15 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
With a little thought, time, and effort and it would fit in many places, mine is in the upper left of picture and fairly easy to service if need be. Trying to stuff as much as possible into the small bay.

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 01:21 PM   #7

JohnRR What are you replying to?
allynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 01:56 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by allynne View Post
JohnRR What are you replying to?
How about a different thread after I found the picture I wanted

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/lock...-321003-3.html
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 09:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
With a little thought, time, and effort and it would fit in many places, mine is in the upper left of picture and fairly easy to service if need be. Trying to stuff as much as possible into the small bay.

what the hell is that thing? looks like a 50 amp sewer turbo ejector thing a ma jig