Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2015, 08:06 AM   #1

Mirror Arm Adjustment

My mirror arm needs to be adjusted and I know there is a cap under the arm and a bolt that needs to be loosened. The cap is painted the color of the coach. The instructions say to pry out with a small screwdriver. Has anyone done this? I am looking for any tricks or tips that will prevent scratching the paint.

Thanks
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2015, 08:21 AM   #2

Plastic pry bars, masking tape and duct tape.

Put down the masking tape first, then cover it with the duct tape. Then use the plastic pry bar to pop out the cover.

The reason for the masking tape first is: duct tape glue is a pain to get off painted surface, but masking tape doesn't offer as much protection. By putting down masking tape first it all peels right off.
Old 04-12-2015, 08:09 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Note the cap may be painted in, i.e. the paint was sprayed on after the cap was put in place. If that's true you will want to score the paint around the joint to minimize the chance of the cap taking some of the arm's paint with it.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 07:46 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've taken the cap off. I just used a small pocket knife. I removed the bolt and the problem I have is corrosion is preventing me from moving or removing the arm. I put in a longer bolt and used a hammer to try and break it loose. I soaked it in PB Blaster everyday for a week. I finally gave up because I didn't want to break it. Good luck.
Floridakamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:39 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridakamper View Post
I've taken the cap off. I just used a small pocket knife. I removed the bolt and the problem I have is corrosion is preventing me from moving or removing the arm. I put in a longer bolt and used a hammer to try and break it loose. I soaked it in PB Blaster everyday for a week. I finally gave up because I didn't want to break it. Good luck.

Had the same issue. Soaked mine with WD-40 for a couple days and hammered away until it came loose.
TexasTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 05:55 AM   #6

Mine will actually move, but I want to adjust it.
Old 04-14-2015, 02:09 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
It's no big deal, just take a small screwdriver and you will be able to pry out the cap at the bottom of the mount. It just snaps in place. You will then be able to see the bolt that you can use to adjust/tighten the mirror arm.
TexasTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
My mirror arm needs to be adjusted and I know there is a cap under the arm and a bolt that needs to be loosened. The cap is painted the color of the coach. The instructions say to pry out with a small screwdriver. Has anyone done this? I am looking for any tricks or tips that will prevent scratching the paint.

Thanks
WE bought our KSDP new in 2004 and did not get nut covers....damn
Old 04-14-2015, 11:03 PM   #9
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Hmmm, brand new 2015 Ventana with chrome mirrors and there are no covers over the three Allen screws on each mirror arm.

That was one of the first things I did in the dealer parking lot, adjust both mirror heads so as to get the proper adjustment on the power flat sections and non power convex sections.

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 08:01 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Tried to adjust mirror angle on 2008 Essex, removed bolt but mirror housing will not budge, don't want to break it, any suggestions?
gkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 07:06 AM   #11

Try leaving the plug out and hitting it with PB Blaster for a few days. Then gently tap it to see if it will move. With the bolt loose, the PB Blaster should penetrate into the joint.
Old 05-09-2015, 10:39 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
The bolt on the bottom of the mirror arm draws a cone shaped piece down . Tightening the bolt pulls them together and makes it tight. I loosened the bolts on mine and the marm was still tight. I grabbed the arm out by the mirror head and moved the mirror arm up and down . It took a little bit but it loosened up so I could adjust.
imgoin4it is offline   Reply With Quote