Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2016, 04:58 PM   #1

Mirror Cameras

When we recently test drove a Dutch Star, I was surprised & a little disappointed that Newmar are still using body mounted cameras on the unit, whilst they use mirror mounted cameras on the more expensive units. I asked if they would fit the mirror cameras on our order as a special but we were declined. Our first MH had the body cameras, but our current Itasca has the mirror cameras which I personally prefer.
Has anybody ever switched the mirrors to the camera fittings? How complicated was the wiring change?
Do people have strong opinions about the camera location- one or the other- that might persuade me?
Nick
Tillster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2016, 07:12 PM   #2

I never use the side cameras. It means taking your eyes off the road to look at the monitor and the angle is so wide on the camera I can barely see a car when it is right on my rear bumper. I use the side mirrors exclusively and don't see that mounting the cameras there would be any better.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 09:21 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I had mirror mounted cameras on my 2008 DS and body mounted ones on the 2015. I have found no difference in the usability. From a service standpoint the body mounted ones are much more reasonable, because replacement does not require removal (and the usual breakage) of the wide angle mirror.

2015 DSDP 4369, 2014 Grand Cherokee, SMI AF1, VMSpc. Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum

2015 DSDP 4369 with HWH Active Air, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Roadmaster tow bar, SMI AirForce One, Silverleaf VMSPc
andyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 05:57 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Tillster,
In the unlikely event, though it happened to us, that your driver's side mirror gets whacked off, body-mounted cameras leave you a view you can use, as opposed to virtually no view at all. We're glad to have them off the mirror.
Linda and Keith, 2016 Newmar Ventana 3436 (Wrigley), Cummins ISB 360hp, Allison 3000, Silverleaf VMSpc, Freightliner XCR, Cummins 8kW diesel, Roadmaster All-Terrain, Roadmaster Invisibrake, Toyota 2014 Honda CRV AWD (Go Cubs)
wiiltn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 11:43 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiiltn View Post
Tillster,
In the unlikely event, though it happened to us, that your driver's side mirror gets whacked off, body-mounted cameras leave you a view you can use, as opposed to virtually no view at all. We're glad to have them off the mirror.
Not that unlikely to loose a mirror, happened to us first time out in new coach. I will not bore everyone with details, just suffice it to say novice, night, tight backup and tree limbs that were not soft. How ever was able to get home using side view cameras to the point where I really didn't miss the side view (passenger side).
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 01:28 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
using camera when don't have a side mirror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Not that unlikely to loose a mirror, happened to us first time out in new coach. I will not bore everyone with details, just suffice it to say novice, night, tight backup and tree limbs that were not soft. How ever was able to get home using side view cameras to the point where I really didn't miss the side view (passenger side).
There was recently a thread about someone losing a side mirror at a toll booth and I wondered about using the side camera instead so you could still drive. I guess you had to leave your turn signal on the whole time? Is that right?
lucyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 02:27 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyh View Post
There was recently a thread about someone losing a side mirror at a toll booth and I wondered about using the side camera instead so you could still drive. I guess you had to leave your turn signal on the whole time? Is that right?
you select the SOURCE on the monitor to toggle between the three cameras.
2012 DSDP 3734
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 03:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillster View Post
When we recently test drove a Dutch Star, I was surprised & a little disappointed that Newmar are still using body mounted cameras on the unit, whilst they use mirror mounted cameras on the more expensive units. I asked if they would fit the mirror cameras on our order as a special but we were declined. Our first MH had the body cameras, but our current Itasca has the mirror cameras which I personally prefer.
Has anybody ever switched the mirrors to the camera fittings? How complicated was the wiring change?
Do people have strong opinions about the camera location- one or the other- that might persuade me?
Nick
Be careful what you wish for. We have the mirror mounted cameras on our 2013 Winnebago Adventurer. As long as the drivers are similar height there is no problem with using the mirrors or the cameras.

In our case however I am 5' 9" and my wife is 5' 2". When the mirror heads (I'm referring to the coarse adjustment of the heads not the power adjustment of the glass) are positioned so I get full view with both the cameras and mirrors she has trouble getting full view with the mirrors. When the mirror heads are adjusted so they are in the right position for her the cameras give a great view of the sides of the motorhome, but very little view of the traffic in the lanes on either side of us.

The body mounted cameras give the same view regardless of the mirror adjustment. The only downside is that a friend of ours had his cameras stolen when the motorhome was in storage. Apparently they're held in place by 2 visible screws.
Old 10-26-2016, 03:43 PM   #9

Nor'easters Club
I put a switch to turn the side cams off or on. I leave 'em off. I feel like just as I need to check the progress of the toad in a corner or completing a pass, I flipped on the turn signal and instead saw the side of my coach. I prefer mirrors mostly.
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 08:03 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
Be careful what you wish for. We have the mirror mounted cameras on our 2013 Winnebago Adventurer. As long as the drivers are similar height there is no problem with using the mirrors or the cameras.

In our case however I am 5' 9" and my wife is 5' 2". When the mirror heads (I'm referring to the coarse adjustment of the heads not the power adjustment of the glass) are positioned so I get full view with both the cameras and mirrors she has trouble getting full view with the mirrors. When the mirror heads are adjusted so they are in the right position for her the cameras give a great view of the sides of the motorhome, but very little view of the traffic in the lanes on either side of us.

The body mounted cameras give the same view regardless of the mirror adjustment. The only downside is that a friend of ours had his cameras stolen when the motorhome was in storage. Apparently they're held in place by 2 visible screws.
That's a good point. Height differences never crossed my mind.
RV_Fan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 10:16 AM   #11

Can you share how and where to mount the switch to selectively disable the side view when the signal light is activated. I too would like to be able to view the toad area at times instead of the side camera view, which frequently is unclear due to headlight glare, sunlight, reflections, etc. I much prefer the rear view mirror for clartity. As you stated, the mirrors allow us to better keep our eyes on the road than somewhere on a little glare affected screen on the dashboard.

What would be quite useful would be a pair of cameras on the front corner that showed what obstructions below eye level ahead of and/or beside the coach (like decorative rocks, kerbs, retaining walls site marker posts, etc.) posed a manouvering hazard to the area ahead of either front wheel when navigating in tight quarters.
Old 10-27-2016, 10:27 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinMan Trvlr View Post
Can you share how and where to mount the switch to selectively disable the side view when the signal light is activated. I too would like to be able to view the toad area at times instead of the side camera view, which frequently is unclear due to headlight glare, sunlight, reflections, etc. I much prefer the rear view mirror for clartity. As you stated, the mirrors allow us to better keep our eyes on the road than somewhere on a little glare affected screen on the dashboard.

What would be quite useful would be a pair of cameras on the front corner that showed what obstructions below eye level ahead of and/or beside the coach (like decorative rocks, kerbs, retaining walls site marker posts, etc.) posed a manouvering hazard to the area ahead of either front wheel when navigating in tight quarters.
I like that idea of low mounted cameras.

The drivers side camera is worthless. Like I'm going to look right to see the screen when turning left.

pointrow
Old 10-27-2016, 07:48 PM   #13

Our Ventana LE had the body mounted side cameras., which I prefer. I like the fact that they are mounted lower than the mirror mounted cameras. I prefer my side cameras closer to the ground level.

I guess my question would be, why would someone prefer the mirror mounted cameras? I am not being facetious, I am seriously curious what the advantage of the mirror mounted cameras is.
Ed Headington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 05:48 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Headingto View Post
Our Ventana LE had the body mounted side cameras., which I prefer. I like the fact that they are mounted lower than the mirror mounted cameras. I prefer my side cameras closer to the ground level.

I guess my question would be, why would someone prefer the mirror mounted cameras? I am not being facetious, I am seriously curious what the advantage of the mirror mounted cameras is.
The 2 main advantages of the mirror mounted cameras are the fact that they can be adjusted (by adjusting the mirror head) to give the driver a different field of vision. The adjustments are somewhat limited as I mentioned in my previous post, but they can be adjusted.

The second advantage is that they are considerably harder to steal when the motorhome is in storage. I'm not sure why anyone would want to steal them, but it did happen to some friends of ours. Someone removed the side mounted cameras on several coaches at their storage facility.

Other than that I believe it's cost saving measure on the part of the manufacturers. Since the cameras are already mounted in the mirror heads there's less labor involved installing and wiring them.

Tags
camera