Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2018, 02:49 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
On another thread, it was brought up by (lands) that it would be great to have a list of the common issues that come up with new Newmar’s.

1) on a DS if the drivers foot rest doesn’t completely stow, an alarm sounds when the key is on that sounds like the jacks down alarm. I know this because it happened on my first outing in my 18 DS. Not knowing I was sure it was the jacks not retracting all of the way. Over the next 15 minutes I raised and lowered the jacks several times, nothing. Called Newmar and they knew exactly what it was, told me to raise the footrest then stow it again, noise gone[emoji4]
Please add your “mistakes” here
If you fill the water tank too much and water starts dumping out of the overflow tube, it acts like a siphon and you will end up with less than 7/8 full tank.
elees is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2018, 02:53 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by elees View Post
If you fill the water tank too much and water starts dumping out of the overflow tube, it acts like a siphon and you will end up with less than 7/8 full tank.

I did not know this, thanks
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 03:20 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Last week when we were on a very wet vacation to the beach on the OBX I decided to put out the patio awnings. There was a breeze but was confident that they would retract if the wind picked up as they always have.(this was our 3rd trip) Almost immediately they began to retract and the wind increase. They were bouncing abit and the pucker factor was 8. As they retracted the front awing whip down and got under the door awning. As it retracted more it got tighter. I had a broom as was trying to dislodge it, but no dice. Had to hit the extend button to loosen but the sensor kept retracting. I couldn’t retract the door awning either-too tight and hung on the big awning. The the broom broke. Pucker fact now at 10. After what seemed like an eternity a gust of wind cause the big awning to lift free of the door awning. Free at last.

Thinking all was good i I opened the awning at home to dry out. It opened fine. However later when I saw the coach fro a distance I could it was drooping on the front end. Closer exam revealed a broken joint or knuckle in one of the three arms.
It has rained the past two days so exam from a ladder has not be possible. Not sure if I can replace or factory job. But I do know this sucks!
Old 07-31-2018, 04:34 PM   #18

Bummer Twincamsam. That does suck! An expensive lesson (as they mostly are) learned. Thanks for sharing.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 04:35 PM   #19

Quote:
I did not know this, thanks

There is a separate thread on this issue with a fix.
Old 07-31-2018, 06:16 PM   #20

Quote:
Here’s another one from my first trip, I was pushing the button to extend my kitchen slide, put my position was bad causing me to let go of the switch in the middle of its travel, to make matters worse, when I regained position I momentarily pushed the slide in the in direction then corrected it to the out position and the slide would not move. It was if the switch was disconnected. I remembered reading about resetting the slide controller, by unplugging it, so I found the controller and unplugged all of the connections then re plugged them and it worked. Wow I’m pretty smart I thought, until talking with another DS owner that told me when this happens, he just hits the battery disconnect switch off then on, he said it’s like rebooting your computer [emoji848]This is the real solution.

So I am guessing that it is the chassis battery disconnect that you toggle. Not the house battery disconnect. Correct?
Old 07-31-2018, 06:27 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winepress View Post
There is a separate thread on this issue with a fix.
And that thread is?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 07:09 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HavingABlast View Post
So I am guessing that it is the chassis battery disconnect that you toggle. Not the house battery disconnect. Correct?

No the house battery disconnect, on mine it’s on the passenger side armrest
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 08:30 PM   #23

Quote:
No the house battery disconnect, on mine it’s on the passenger side armrest

Cool. I learned something new.

Thank you Stuart,

Jerry
Old 08-01-2018, 05:22 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
If you have basement doors hinged on the top rather then the side, don't rely on the gas struts to keep the doors open, always use a secondary support - ESPECIALLY if you crawl into the basement.

My old HR Imperial had such doors and the water filter and low point drain valves were inside rather than on the outside like newer coaches. So there I was inside the basement winterizing our coach for the first time and bam, basement door slams shut. Was stuck in there for a good hour before my neighbor finally heard me calling for him to open the door and let me out.
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 05:30 AM   #25
GKU

On our first Trip with the DS, it was also our first time with the Traveler Sat. We were in a back up site (which saved us). When we got ready to leave, we stowed everything and pulled up about 100 yards to hook up the Jeep, a man ran over to tell me that the Sat. was still up. If we were in a pull through I might have hooked up the Jeep there and went down the road with it up. Very close call!!

We how have a check list that we go through on every trip...It has saved us many times!!
GKU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 07:08 AM   #26

I have a clothes pin painted red with a tag saying "satellite up" that I clip to the parking brake to prevent that.
Ernie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 05:03 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie. View Post
I have a clothes pin painted red with a tag saying "satellite up" that I clip to the parking brake to prevent that.
Shame they don't have an auto stow when parking brake is released, or warning beeps like when jacks are down or as I've recently seen on here, when the footrest isn't fully stowed.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 10:39 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie. View Post
I must no learn as fast as the rest, drove off 4 times with antenna up, just lucky I didn't go under anything low. All 4 times some nice motorist honked and pointed up...I think the red cloths pin a great idea.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote