Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2018, 02:01 PM   #43

“Mistakes and solutions made by new owners”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
...unless you consider smashed lipstick as major[emoji51]
Pretty sure that my DW wouldn’t let that one go for a long LONG time [emoji35]

Quote:
In my 16 CS it was the drivers seat that was a victim once, once is all it took to make me look every time after.

I am guilty of this too, ONCE. Now we both verify the chairs proximity to the walls before moving the slides. You are so correct, it only takes once for that to be a burned in corrective procedure.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2018, 02:32 PM   #44

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster52 View Post
I actually do that now...but in my 2 other Newmars (DSDP AND MADP).I did it level first...then slides....but believe me,it takes a concerted effort to remember the new sequence....lol...you know,Old Dog-New Tricks...but thanks for posting the procedure...C
How true! Owned a gasser for 11 years where it was level first then slides and it has been hard to remember the new process.

The other thing I tend to forget is when leaving a spot and we air up prior to pulling in the slides and i forget to press the All Retract button on the jacks....so within a few minutes I begin to hear the hiss of air escaping from the suspension.

Again, it has to do with the change of order of tasks and the old dog/new tricks thing....
richpatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 05:43 PM   #45

Location: Dan & Pam Nachel RVM #175 & 175a, three Doberman traveling companions
Quote:
Originally Posted by richpatty View Post
How true! Owned a gasser for 11 years where it was level first then slides and it has been hard to remember the new process.

The other thing I tend to forget is when leaving a spot and we air up prior to pulling in the slides and i forget to press the All Retract button on the jacks....so within a few minutes I begin to hear the hiss of air escaping from the suspension.

Again, it has to do with the change of order of tasks and the old dog/new tricks thing....

I made a flag pole holder out of tubing attached to the rear ladder. The flag pole is a 3/4” pipe I had and the flag flies two feet above my mh. Five miles down the road after our first camp I got “flagged” by another motorist. The flag was flying straight back behind us. The pole is a little shorter now as I had to cut off the part that got bent
DobeBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 06:13 PM   #46

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by HavingABlast View Post
Pretty sure that my DW wouldn’t let that one go for a long LONG time [emoji35]

I am guilty of this too, ONCE. Now we both verify the chairs proximity to the walls before moving the slides. You are so correct, it only takes once for that to be a burned in corrective procedure.

I almost did this at Camp Newmar. I don’t think so clearly at 5:30AM. Good thing in the Bay Star you have to hold the slideout button.

Bill
FMCA: F482061 | NKK: 22422
We_B_Tripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 07:47 PM   #47
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
A lot of the things I pass on to other people comes from 40 years of RVing, but most of it comes from reading a LOT of threads on several forums. I was never the type to sit and just read a book, but I do enjoy reading posts. It's my way of fighting Alzheimers. Even reading innocuous threads can have one item that you didn't know and will go into the old memory banks.

"Stuart W" and I met the other day and I learned that there is someone else who is more into his motor home than I am. I may do a lot of mechanical stuff and fabricating, but he has me hands down with technical stuff. I'm guessing he could do just about anything if he had time. There are several other people on here that when they write, I read, as they're really sharp, especially with electronics, my downfall.

So.....read all the threads, if you can, and pick up unexpected tidbits!

If everything goes as planned, we'll pick up our new coach in November. Since I'm getting older, the upgrades will come a little slower, but I intend to make some changes that will make it my own.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:30 PM   #48

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
In my 16 CS it was the drivers seat that was a victim once, once is all it took to make me look every time after.
I guess we are thicker than most, we did this so many times the third time the leather repairman came he didn't have the heart to charge us.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:52 PM   #49

Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Thank you Don for the kind words, You are very modest, the name Dutch Star Don is synonymous with the Newmar Owners forum and some of your mods are legendary. As far as who loves their motorhome more, I think we may be twins separated at birth[emoji4]. What’s the saying? It takes one to know one. We both agree that there is an amazing wealth of talent here. When I have an issue I have more confidence in the experts on this form then I do Newmar at times. Not because Newmar is bad, it’s just there is a lot of real world experience here, without the politically correct constraints the CS reps often have to work under. As Don said, read everything you can, it’s surprising what you can learn. I started this thread, and have really enjoyed everyone’s honest exchange of their mishaps so we can all learn from them. Stuart W
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 07:44 AM   #50

Someone already mentioned a checklist for either setting up or getting ready to hit the road. I have used one for years and with the new VT it now includes 36 items for "breaking camp". I keep the list on my phone so it is easy to check through it.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 09:02 AM   #51

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLJOE View Post
Someone already mentioned a checklist for either setting up or getting ready to hit the road. I have used one for years and with the new VT it now includes 36 items for "breaking camp". I keep the list on my phone so it is easy to check through it.

I use the “Notes” app on my phone for checklist. After only 12 yrs RVing, I still find a step forgotten here or there when we setup or prepare to leave when I run through the list.
My MH has manual slide locks. It sucks when you try to extend a slide with the locks in place. I’ve broken the rollers off two different slides doing this before I started the checklist. It ain’t no fun reattaching these with the slide still in the coach. I once had to use a mirror to see where I was bolting the roller to the backside of the cabinet trim because you couldn’t get your head back there to watch what you were doing. [emoji31]🤬🤬
Old 08-04-2018, 05:32 PM   #52

Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
“Mistakes and solutions made by new owners”

Here is one from my 2016 CS 3710, we only camped every couple of months or so the MH would sit in the garage, clean and ready to go. On this particular trip my wife tells me that the kitchen sink stinks, I made the assumption that the gray tank must have bacteria, so we stop at CW and I purchase some Thetford gray tank treatment and proceed to put two times the amount in. Back on the road, next stop my wife’s points out the smell again. After carful inspection we determined that it was coming from the faucet. We are now in Albuquerque New Mexico and it’s 10 degrees outside. I call Newmar CS and Bruce tells me it’s the water heater, he instructs me; from the outside with city and pump water off remove the water heater drain plug and drain the water, reinstall the plug, remove the filter housing, leave the filter out and fill housing with bleach, then reinstall, turn the water on with heat off and when water starts to come out all faucets leave them run until you can smell bleach shut all faucets, and let stand for at least 1 hour, after one hour drain water heater, reinstall filter and run water from all faucets until bleach smell is gone. No more smell! From that time on, part of my storage procedure was to drain the water heater and leave the plug out until next trip. Never had a smell again
Hopefully if this happens to you, you will remember this story.
Stuart W
Old 08-05-2018, 05:52 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
A lot of the things I pass on to other people comes from 40 years of RVing, but most of it comes from reading a LOT of threads on several forums. I was never the type to sit and just read a book, but I do enjoy reading posts. It's my way of fighting Alzheimers. Even reading innocuous threads can have one item that you didn't know and will go into the old memory banks.

"Stuart W" and I met the other day and I learned that there is someone else who is more into his motor home than I am. I may do a lot of mechanical stuff and fabricating, but he has me hands down with technical stuff. I'm guessing he could do just about anything if he had time. There are several other people on here that when they write, I read, as they're really sharp, especially with electronics, my downfall.

So.....read all the threads, if you can, and pick up unexpected tidbits!

If everything goes as planned, we'll pick up our new coach in November. Since I'm getting older, the upgrades will come a little slower, but I intend to make some changes that will make it my own.

You are too modest Don, you and many others have been a tremendous help to so many of us over the years!
HWH Active Air Suspension 2014 Wrangler
DRL1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 07:00 AM   #54

Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Maserator toilet mishap. I have two fury babies that we RV with. It was a cold morning at the desert so I had a jacket on when and I took the babies for their morning walk, being a responsible owner I had a pocket full of poop bags. They did their business and we headed back to the MH. Now it was time for Dad to take care of some business himself. Here comes my mistake: I left my jacket on and one of the all white poop bags feel out of my pocket and landed in the toilet without me noticing[emoji51] when flushing the Maserator made this horrible vibration and noise. Long story longer, I disassembled the toilet grinding unit to find the plastic bag covering the fan looking blade, causing it to be out of balance. Moral to this crappy story, be very careful what goes into a Maserator toilet. Stuart
Old 08-09-2018, 07:02 AM   #55

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Maserator toilet mishap. I have two fury babies that we RV with. It was a cold morning at the desert so I had a jacket on when and I took the babies for their morning walk, being a responsible owner I had a pocket full of poop bags. They did their business and we headed back to the MH. Now it was time for Dad to take care of some business himself. Here comes my mistake: I left my jacket on and one of the all white poop bags feel out of my pocket and landed in the toilet without me noticing[emoji51] when flushing the Maserator made this horrible vibration and noise. Long story longer, I disassembled the toilet grinding unit to find the plastic bag covering the fan looking blade, causing it to be out of balance. Moral to this crappy story, be very careful what goes into a Maserator toilet. Stuart
Good Lord Stuart
Old 08-09-2018, 08:07 AM   #56

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Sounds like the &#$@ hit the fan, eh?

Sorry...couldn’t resist.
richpatty is offline   Reply With Quote