Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2019, 12:33 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Moaning back flow preventer

We have an '05 Northern Star. Lately I have noticed a low moaning noise which occurs with water inflow to the coach. I am assuming it is the back flow preventer/check valve at the city water hook up. First is this normal? If so, I've never heard before now.

Is this the only one or is there one at the hot water heater as well? I have had the front of the wet bay off before but don't recall seeing the back flow preventer at the time. I would also assume that the back flow preventer would be subject to calcification from extremely hard water. Is this the correct assumption?

Thanks in advance.
Charlie and Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2019, 12:53 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie and Martha View Post
We have an '05 Northern Star. Lately I have noticed a low moaning noise which occurs with water inflow to the coach. I am assuming it is the back flow preventer/check valve at the city water hook up. First is this normal? If so, I've never heard before now.

Is this the only one or is there one at the hot water heater as well? I have had the front of the wet bay off before but don't recall seeing the back flow preventer at the time. I would also assume that the back flow preventer would be subject to calcification from extremely hard water. Is this the correct assumption?

Thanks in advance.

I have noticed a moaning sound at some parks, and it was related to their pump making noise when filling. It went away after leaving the park. Maybe your case is the same?
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 03:27 PM   #3

City Water Inlet Assembly has an internal check valve to prevent backflow when using on-board pump
Pump has an internal check valve to prevent backflow when on city water

Water heater will have a check valve on hot out if no individual shutoff valve is installed.
Check valve prevents backflow into WH Tank when 'bypassed'

Check valve is just a cheap plastic plunger/spring/o-ring assembly inside a 'nipple' screwed into WH Tank Hot out.
Same type used in City Water Inlet Assembly

When they start hummming they are beginning to clog ----when they start chattering they are close to failure. When water flow decreases or stops they have failed
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 03:39 PM   #4

One other backflow some coaches have. If you have a black gray tank flush system built into it there will be a backflow and check valve on that as well. Not connected to the fresh water systems but they are there. Found mine when I noticed water leaking down on the top of my tanks while flushing then. Problem is they are located inside the coach behind the panel that is the back of the spice rack. With a camera I could see water running down the wall. Was a split plastic check valve that was there from early n. Luckily the wasn’t any interior damage
kenwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 04:44 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
City Water Inlet Assembly has an internal check valve to prevent backflow when using on-board pump
Pump has an internal check valve to prevent backflow when on city water

Water heater will have a check valve on hot out if no individual shutoff valve is installed.
Check valve prevents backflow into WH Tank when 'bypassed'

Check valve is just a cheap plastic plunger/spring/o-ring assembly inside a 'nipple' screwed into WH Tank Hot out.
Same type used in City Water Inlet Assembly

When they start hummming they are beginning to clog ----when they start chattering they are close to failure. When water flow decreases or stops they have failed
Thanks for quick answer. I am assuming that this is a common replacement item. Do you happen to know if the back side of the water inlet/backflow valve is threaded or barbed?
Charlie and Martha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent