Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2019, 03:03 PM   #1
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
MOD: Drivers Side Shade

When driving early in the morning or late in the afternoon, I often get baked through the lower driver's side window. On my Diplomat, the mirrors were both viewed through the windshield and I could pull the driver's shade down, but that doesn't work with a side mounted mirror like the DS. Last week I had to use a pillow to block the heat.

I found these Tesla shades on Amazon. They're designed to be pulled up, not down. They're overall casing length is 24" with a 21.5" screen shade.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I ordered the shades (2 pack) hoping they would sit/fit atop the black plastic window cover at the base of the driver's window. They were about a 1/4" too long for a perfect fit. On both ends of the shade, there is a hole that is not used for anything. It's on the side of the shade, closest to the window. I took a Dremel and cut the plastic around this hole out (basically notching the corner). It now fit perfectly into the window frame and squarely and flush on the plastic base at the bottom of the window.

The only complaint people had about this shade was the 3M Velcro did not stay put in the heat. Many used two sided tape instead. I removed the Velcro and foam on the bottom of the shade and put on two sided tape the length of the shade. You can see the difference in the two photos.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190622_121537.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	192.0 KB
ID:	250779

I removed the clip that comes with the shade, (designed to be attached to the top of the window and lifts the shade up and down with the window). You can use this clip and operate the shade as designed. Instead, I wanted to only put the shade up when needed. I added a suction cup using a cable hold down and screw. Now I could lift the shade up and attach, high enough, so there was no light between the pull down MCD shade and the one I added. If I needed to quickly lower the shade, I just released the suction cup.

Sorry the pictures are a little dark, but the shade melds into the plastic base so well, that it's hard to photograph. I may try some additional photos this evening.

Name:	20190622_124353.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	264.8 KB
ID:	250780

Name:	20190622_124420.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	339.4 KB
ID:	250781

Name:	20190622_124414.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	336.6 KB
ID:	250782

Name:	20190622_124437.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	337.7 KB
ID:	250784

Name:	20190622_124813.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	262.4 KB
ID:	250785
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2019, 03:22 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
When driving early in the morning or late in the afternoon, I often get baked through the lower driver's side window. On my Diplomat, the mirrors were both viewed through the windshield and I could pull the driver's shade down, but that doesn't work with a side mounted mirror like the DS. Last week I had to use a pillow to block the heat.

I found these Tesla shades on Amazon. They're designed to be pulled up, not down. They're overall casing length is 24" with a 21.5" screen shade.

I ordered the shades (2 pack) hoping they would sit/fit atop the black plastic window cover at the base of the driver's window. They were about a 1/4" too long for a perfect fit. On both ends of the shade, there is a hole that is not used for anything. It's on the side of the shade, closest to the window. I took a Dremel and cut the plastic around this hole out (basically notching the corner). It now fit perfectly into the window frame and squarely and flush on the plastic base at the bottom of the window.

The only complaint people had about this shade was the 3M Velcro did not stay put in the heat. Many used two sided tape instead. I removed the Velcro and foam on the bottom of the shade and put on two sided tape the length of the shade. You can see the difference in the two photos.

Attachment 250779

I removed the clip that comes with the shade, (designed to be attached to the top of the window and lifts the shade up and down with the window). You can use this clip and operate the shade as designed. Instead, I wanted to only put the shade up when needed. I added a suction cup using a cable hold down and screw. Now I could lift the shade up and attach, high enough, so there was no light between the pull down MCD shade and the one I added. If I needed to quickly lower the shade, I just released the suction cup.

Sorry the pictures are a little dark, but the shade melds into the plastic base so well, that it's hard to photograph. I may try some additional photos this evening.

Attachment 250780

Attachment 250781

Attachment 250782

Attachment 250784

Attachment 250785
Wow! Great idea. Just ordered it. Thanks Don.
DutchStar JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 05:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post

Attachment 250779

Attachment 250780

Attachment 250781

Attachment 250782

Attachment 250784

Attachment 250785
Hi Don,
I know first hand what your are talking about since I live in South FL. On all my vehicles including my DS I had ALL the windows tinted regardless if there was factory tint or not. Tinting the front windshield has the most effect and also blocks most of the glare as well. The tint on the front window is the least tinted and has no negative night driving effect.

The entire coach stays cooler and I have protection against the harmful UV rays. I also have and use Magma Shades for the drivers, front, door and passenger window for added protection.

The tinting cost me around $650.00 for the entire coach and worth every penny.

Good luck and stay cool
Old 06-22-2019, 06:05 PM   #4

I've had good luck using these cheap window shades from Walmart. They can be twisted around to leave a hole in the DR side window and tuck the shade edge under the window rubber seal to keep it in place.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Shade.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	250805  
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 08:29 PM   #5

Nice, looks like it's factory installed.
Time to spend more money.
Old 06-22-2019, 10:50 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Here is a better photo (at night) of the shade. It melds in pretty well with the window base.

Name:	20190622_212658.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	231.6 KB
ID:	250830
Old 06-23-2019, 10:29 AM   #7

Looks perfect, Don...as expected.

Kinda curious, though, hasn’t anyone been able to bypass the lockout that stops the factory shade halfway; such as just using the MCS remote to lower the DS Day shade?
CaptainGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 10:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainGizmo View Post

Kinda curious, though, hasn’t anyone been able to bypass the lockout that stops the factory shade halfway; such as just using the MCS remote to lower the DS Day shade?
I don't think I would want to bypass because doesn't the factory shade also cover the forward window which would interfere with the side mirror view?
DutchStar JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 12:00 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I wish my DS had both mirrors mounted on the front of the coach so you could see them through the windshield. Like I said earlier, my Monaco Diplomat had the mirrors mounted on the front and when driving on the freeway, I could close the driver's shade and see what I needed to see through the windshield.

I have manual shades on my DS, but I don't want it down so that I'm looking through a shade at the mirror. I think that would be dangerous. With the windshield shades set low, the driver's night shade pulled down to the top of the mirror and the added sunshade, it really helps to keep the temps down.

I understand the tinting of windows, but as I get older, I don't want them tinted, especially at night. The oval collapsible screens are good to, but you still have to figure a way to make them stay up in place.
Old 06-23-2019, 04:58 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Dutch Star Don, has Newmar crippled the power MCD shades so you cannot lower the sun screen to cover the driver side window and the night shade to the top of the mirror when driving?

Has the ability to adjust the screens and shades been removed?
After Redlands Truck and RV installed powered cockpit MCD Platinum shades they were adjusted by small switches plugged into the wires projecting from the motor end of the shades and a procedure enabled the amount of shading when driving. I guess I am spoiled by getting the retail MCDs vs Newmar's lowest priced bargain shades.
Since the 2012 powered MCD install, I can drive N/B I-15 without the Western Sun BBQing my arm.
LASD Class 99.
2012 Bay Star 2901, 2 ACs, 5.5KW Onan, 765W solar & Outback FM-60, 800 AH Lifeline AGMs & Magnum MS2812 + AGS + BMK, Koni FSDs, Safe-T-Plus, Super Steer Rear Track Bar, MCD Duo shades w/powered cockpit, remodeled galley, Sumo springs and 2008 Tacoma 4x4 toad.
joes2901 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 05:43 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:

Yes I have, ordered manual shades[emoji6]
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 05:49 PM   #12

MOD: Drivers Side Shade

Joes2901,

While driving, the Dash Switches will only lower half way for:
- the DS and PS Day Shades.
- the Front Day and Night shades.

The DS and PS Night Shades can ONLY be lowered half way via the remote while driving; and can be lowered all the way when stopped.
CaptainGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 10:41 PM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I didn't order my coach with the power MCD shades, so I can lower my side (driver's shade to wherever I want. When hot, I lower the day and night shade to the top of the mirror, but I still get baked through the power driver's window, hence the installation of the shade.
Old 06-23-2019, 11:01 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Quote:

I don’t mind the day shade stopping halfway down. But when driving with the sun coming directly in through the ds window I really wanted to be able to lower the night shade as low as possible and still have some usable mirror space. I had a tech at Guaranty RV disable the relay that stopped the night shade from lowering. I now travel with the MCD control in the ds cup holder so I can control the shade as needed. Absolutely necessary in my book.
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote