Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2019, 10:04 PM   #1
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Mod: Powered Bed Lift

This is a project I've wanted to tackle on my last coach but never did. The hardest part was determining the actuator length and where to place them. I tried a bunch of actuator locations inside the bed frame, but there is just not enough space (length) to extend the actuator. I finally realized that the actuators needed to be placed on the outside of the bed frame. Because they're placed so far back on the frame, near the nightstands, they can only be seen when the bed is up.

I bought the actuators as a kit (12" actuators) from Windy Nation, a solar company. They make pretty decent actuators and they make them all flat black. I added the 110 volt power supply to my kit, rather than try to run them on 12 volts. The kit also came with a wireless remote which eliminates the need to place a switch somewhere. Since I mounted the actuators on the outside of the bed frame, I can simply pull two pins if there is a failure. The wiring was all plug and play. Here is a link to the kit, $165.00.

https://www.windynation.com/Linear-A...463?p=YzE9Mjg=

Now....attaching the actuators was the next challenge. Attaching the brackets to the underside of the bed platform was a no brainer, but attaching the lower bracket to the side of the bed frame was the challenge. I basically needed an "L" bracket that securely attached to the side of the bed frame and could handle the stress. The first two photos are of the brackets. They were made from 3" wide by 3/16" flat stock that I bought at Home Depot. My design is pretty beefy, but it attaches in two places on the frame where the wood is thick. It's really a basic design, but needs to be welded. I can provide dimensions to make the same brackets. They were designed to go up and under the frame so two bolts would go through the front of the bracket, through the wood and into a bracket on the back side for strength. The third photo is the bracket and actuator attached.

Next, I needed to wire it. I new there was 110 volt power under the bed and at the nightstands. The wiring under the bed would have required wires moving in and out with the slide, something I wanted to avoid. I was able to simply remove the outlet at the nightstand, attach an additional piece of Romex to the outlet and phished the Romex down, inside the front edge of the cabinet, and out the bottom, by drilling a hole in the floor of the cabinet. From there it was easy to hide the Romex under the carpet and run it inside the bedframe. If someone wanted to eliminate this step, the 100volt cord is long enough to run it out from under the bed frame and plug it into the nightstand. Photos four and five show adding the Romex. Since the nightstand moves with the bed, no issues with the wiring. I ran the Romex to the center of the bed frame and added a box and outlet. In photo six, you can see the wiring all secured to the bed frame, under the removable cover. So....the only challenge for someone to copy this is to make the bracket. You could probably even design something simpler. The pin hole on the actuator needs to be level with the base of the bed frame and 33.5" back from the front edge of the bed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190708_135636.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	411.1 KB
ID:	252644

Name:	20190708_135642.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	432.5 KB
ID:	252645

Name:	20190708_171718.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	269.5 KB
ID:	252646

Name:	20190708_161018.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	291.9 KB
ID:	252647

Name:	20190708_162952.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	330.6 KB
ID:	252648

Name:	20190708_171702.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	314.6 KB
ID:	252649

Lastly, I've never attached a video and hope this works. I added a third strut to the underside of the bed a few months ago when we changed the mattress, I'll probably remove it. The actuators are rated at 225 pounds each.

https://s.amsu.ng/EcgvZ683kVWN
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2019, 10:31 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Don, Very nice mod. I’ll have to add this to my list. BTW video worked fine.
Boilervol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 03:28 AM   #3

Don - This is cool, but not what I expected. I was hoping that the lift was for tilting the head of the bed up for comfortable TV viewing. Next???
Old 07-09-2019, 05:47 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Looks great Don, nice job!
Question is there 3 gas struts under the bed?
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 10:11 AM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I had installed an extra gas strut when we changed the mattress out to a heavier mattress a few months back. I will probably remove it today, since it's not needed.

We both dreaded trying to lift that bed because the initial lift is so heavy. The new actuators allow you to stop at any point. Will probably only lift it 18" to get small things out.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:36 AM   #6

Hi Don, Great work. Will you be offering this bracket?

There should be an outlet at the head of the bed. It’s mounted to the frame of the bed, no wires moving. I used it as a source to add an outlet to each side of the bed located in the unused space.

Name:	IMG_3402.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	165.9 KB
ID:	252687Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3403.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	324.9 KB
ID:	252688
Old 07-09-2019, 10:57 AM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Winepress.....no outlet on the 2019, my 2014 had one. The only non moving outlets were the nightstands.

Once I determined how to route the wiring and access the back of the nightstand outlet, it was a pretty easy job to add the romex. Like any mod, once you figure it out, it's usually simple to do.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:03 AM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Don - This is cool, but not what I expected. I was hoping that the lift was for tilting the head of the bed up for comfortable TV viewing. Next???
Actually, making the head lift wouldn't be that difficult. Remove the mattress and expose the plywood that doesn't lift between the piano hinge and the headboard. About 6" from the piano hinge, cut the plywood from side to side and add a second piano hinge. They make these actuators in 2", 4" and 6" lifts. Add a short pair of lifts to the piece between the new hinge and headboard. They're short enough to fit inside the bed frame in the slide motor area.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:12 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Very cool MOD. I was thinking of this just the other day when lifting that heavy bugger up. It would be a nice thing to add. And all electric to boot. Nicely done.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:05 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Did anyone notice the toilet seat went up at the same time??
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 01:46 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Don,
Great modification! This will help my old and tired back but DAMN... We will be ordering our new coach next week and I now have added yet another mod to my list.
Thanks a lot....
ShelbyTom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 02:20 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Wow, great work Don!
We removed our original Sleep Number bed and installed a Tuft and Needle adaptive foam mattress. The problem is the foam mattress is much heavier and now it's tough to lift the bed platform. Thanks for posting.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 02:34 PM   #13

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
See my posts # 1417 & 1418 here,,

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/mods-...10686-102.html
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 03:32 PM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
Did anyone notice the toilet seat went up at the same time??
Worse part....wife was sitting on it!

I would describe further, but "Stuart W" is easily grossed out. I think he was sheltered as a child.

Tags
power