RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2018, 04:37 PM   #1
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Mods for our new 2019 DS

Okay, the boards are slow, my coach is still 10 days out and I've been trying to prep some items, so they'll be ready for install when the coach arrives.

The first two photos is a power block for under the dash. I know a lot of people added 12 volt plugs, USB's and 110 volt outlets to the dash as "specials", but I like to hide everything under the dash.

I run 12 volt power to my laptop, power to my TST tire monitor, dash cam and 12 volt power to a dash light that indicates when my toad brakes are engaged. The power for the dash cam and TST tire monitor need to be ignition powered and only have power when the key is on. The other two items need power all the time. I know there may be more sophisticated systems, but I'm not a big electronics guy and try to keep things simple.

The power block is two matching (Amazon) power plugs. One is a plug and USB and the other is two plugs. I screwed them together and then added a bolt on relay. I'll run one large 12 volt line, with fuse, from the run bay, bay under the driver's window, to the dash. It will connect to the relay, which will leave the two plugs hot all the time and the other plug and USB will be powered from the relay. I'll find an ignition wire under the dash to trigger the relay. Since the dash lifts off on the new 2019's, I can mount this block under the dash for easy access.

For those who aren't use to using relays, like me, they're pretty simple and often solve wiring issues. The 4 pin and 5 pin relays all wire up the same. For those who know how to wire relays, please skip this part and don't take it as an insult. The relay pins are typically all labeled the same, pin 85 is the ground (-), pin 30 is 12 volt power in, larger power source (+), pin 86 is the trigger, connect this to whatever you want to cause the relay to power up, the last pin 87, sends power to whatever you're trying to power with the relay.

On my previous coach, the laptop, TST monitor and dash cam, were all mounted to the left side of the dash and will also be mounted there on the 2019. On the my current DS, I drilled a 1/2" hole on the driver's window side of the dash, where it cant be seen. I ran all my cables through that hole and powered everything under the dash and out of sight.

The second set of photos are the brackets I made to hold the square tubing for the collapsible ladder. They allow me to bolt the ladder tube to the side wall of the pass thru bay, up high. I did this in my last coach, but not so nicely mounted.

The third set of photos is a mount for my engine fire extinguisher. There is nothing substantial in the engine compartment to bolt the fire extinguisher, in the correct position, to the engine compartment roof. The large plate gives me some surface area, so the plate is strong enough to support the extinguisher.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181028_145534.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	250.0 KB
ID:	224179

Name:	20181028_145529.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	259.8 KB
ID:	224180

Name:	20181028_145701.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	235.9 KB
ID:	224181

Name:	20181028_145740.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	207.5 KB
ID:	224182

Name:	20181028_145810.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	275.1 KB
ID:	224183

Name:	20181028_145634.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	193.8 KB
ID:	224184

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2018, 05:26 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here we go again, new MOD's for 2019 coach will be added to your other MOD's in QT's #3 second section, keep them coming Iam sure many will be using them Don.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 06:41 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Okay, the boards are slow, my coach is still 10 days out and I've been trying to prep some items, so they'll be ready for install when the coach arrives.

The first two photos is a power block for under the dash. I know a lot of people added 12 volt plugs, USB's and 110 volt outlets to the dash as "specials", but I like to hide everything under the dash.

I run 12 volt power to my laptop, power to my TST tire monitor, dash cam and 12 volt power to a dash light that indicates when my toad brakes are engaged. The power for the dash cam and TST tire monitor need to be ignition powered and only have power when the key is on. The other two items need power all the time. I know there may be more sophisticated systems, but I'm not a big electronics guy and try to keep things simple.

The power block is two matching (Amazon) power plugs. One is a plug and USB and the other is two plugs. I screwed them together and then added a bolt on relay. I'll run one large 12 volt line, with fuse, from the run bay, bay under the driver's window, to the dash. It will connect to the relay, which will leave the two plugs hot all the time and the other plug and USB will be powered from the relay. I'll find an ignition wire under the dash to trigger the relay. Since the dash lifts off on the new 2019's, I can mount this block under the dash for easy access.

For those who aren't use to using relays, like me, they're pretty simple and often solve wiring issues. The 4 pin and 5 pin relays all wire up the same. For those who know how to wire relays, please skip this part and don't take it as an insult. The relay pins are typically all labeled the same, pin 85 is the ground (-), pin 30 is 12 volt power in, larger power source (+), pin 86 is the trigger, connect this to whatever you want to cause the relay to power up, the last pin 87, sends power to whatever you're trying to power with the relay.

On my previous coach, the laptop, TST monitor and dash cam, were all mounted to the left side of the dash and will also be mounted there on the 2019. On the my current DS, I drilled a 1/2" hole on the driver's window side of the dash, where it cant be seen. I ran all my cables through that hole and powered everything under the dash and out of sight.

The second set of photos are the brackets I made to hold the square tubing for the collapsible ladder. They allow me to bolt the ladder tube to the side wall of the pass thru bay, up high. I did this in my last coach, but not so nicely mounted.

The third set of photos is a mount for my engine fire extinguisher. There is nothing substantial in the engine compartment to bolt the fire extinguisher, in the correct position, to the engine compartment roof. The large plate gives me some surface area, so the plate is strong enough to support the extinguisher.

Attachment 224179

Attachment 224180

Attachment 224181

Attachment 224182

Attachment 224183

Attachment 224184

Great job Don
Buly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 10:04 PM   #4

Like the engine compartment fire extinguisher. I did not see it on the website for the listed company in the picture. Would you provide details please? Thanks
Breezy2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 01:19 AM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Here you go. I'm pretty sure this what Mac the Fire Guy was selling, just rebranded.

Fire Fight Products
Old 10-29-2018, 04:02 AM   #6

Don, which model extinguisher did you choose?

David
kdnash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 05:24 AM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I bought the SS200 Foam (3 liter) with the right angle head.
Old 10-29-2018, 01:20 PM   #8

I have a collapsable ladder up on the basement rails but I just secured it with a rubber flex tie thing. Iím sure itís nice to have a little more secure, but why the fence post?
kpecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 04:46 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"kpecks"....I think we're talking about different ladders.The fence post is for this ladder.

https://www.campingworld.com/7-doubl...dder?rrec=true

I still want an "A" frame ladder for working on the sides of the coach or washing the windshield. The fence post mounts high in the bay and keeps the ladder off the floor and out of the way. It's very easy to slide the ladder in and out of the fence post. I will also be buying the 16' collapsible ladder for the coach.
Old 10-29-2018, 06:25 PM   #10
Rd1

Quote:
"kpecks"....I think we're talking about different ladders.The fence post is for this ladder.

duno if you may have seen this ladder, they can fold down to save space, it is light. can turn to A frame or mutiple forms.

https://www.amazon.com/ARKSEN-Platfo...SIN=B00COUY42Y
Rd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 06:34 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Rd1"....Thanks......Yes, I looked at those. I'm 6'2", 320, and don't trust those. I'm fine with the two different ladders.
Old 10-29-2018, 06:44 PM   #12

Mods for our new 2019 DS

Quote:

I still want an "A" frame ladder for working on the sides of the coach or washing the windshield. The fence post mounts high in the bay and keeps the ladder off the floor and out of the way. It's very easy to slide the ladder in and out of the fence post. I will also be buying the 16' collapsible ladder for the coach.

Nope. Thatís the same one i have. I just have it store on top of the rails in the basement. I also have a 16í collapsable one that I store in front of the genny. Iíll be using it for the first time on Wednesday to blow the leaves off the roof!
Old 10-29-2018, 06:55 PM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I'm confused, I don't see how you store a 7' ladder on top of the rails. The only way a 7' ladder can store in the coach is side to side. Can you provide a photo of your ladder above the frame rails?
Old 10-29-2018, 07:07 PM   #14

Quote:
I'm confused, I don't see how you store a 7' ladder on top of the rails. The only way a 7' ladder can store in the coach is side to side. Can you provide a photo of your ladder above the frame rails?

Iíll shoot a pic in the am. And yes I have it side to side on top of the rails along w paddlebaord paddles and some other things.