Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2012, 09:01 AM   #1

monitor panel...line 1 vs line 2 etc....

I have a typical setup in my 2010 DS..magnum me-rc inverter and a power control system central monitor mounted right next to the Magnum remote control panel. I don't have a manual for the monitor.

When I run a fairly high load, while plugged into 50 amp service..I trip the reset switch on the inverter. This has happened 3-4 times.(high load ...means approaching 50 amps in total....2 space heaters, coffee maker..and then the microwave)

So i started to look at the monitor panel and realized I don't understand what it reads....

1. it has a line 1 and line 2..showing amps being pulled..
are certain plugs/ appliances hooked to 1 line or the other..or does it vary?

2. should each line be able to support 50amps..each..or is it a total of 50 for both lines?

OR better yet...does anyone know of a manual or thread in this forum that explains how this monior works?
litespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2012, 10:48 AM   #2

It as a precision circuits monitoring sytem. Iy will shead loads on certain circuits if you are over drawing usually on a 30 amp plug in. I am not sure why it would trip your inverter if your plugged in to 50 amp. You should easily pull 40 amps per leg after that you may pop the breaker at the plug in if its weaker. You can go to there web site and the manual is there
newmar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:26 PM   #3

I think the problem is that even if your inverter is off, you are likely passing through the inverter to the appliances on certain or all recepticles....I think the inverter has a 30 amp breaker...if that is exceeded by recepticle draw it will flip....I understand that if you trip the breaker too many times, you will need an new one and they are not cheap! Try to determine which recepticles are not inverted and use them...if they ALL pass through the inverter, you may need to either rewire some to bypass the inverter or use a seperately wired one that bypasses the inverter and goes directly to a 20 amp pedestal outlet....just reduce your load through the inverter
footdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:16 AM   #4

am now talking to Precision tech support

Am now e-mailing Tech..etc. But just in case you guys can help....let me bring you up to speed on what I have tried.

1. By turning stuff on selectively...I can see that a lot of my load is on Line 2...very easy for me to exceed 50 amps on that line if I am not careful.

2. question....is the reset button on the inverter really a circuit breaker? Is that the piece that will wear out if I have to use it too many times? Is it hard to replace as well as expensive?

3. Is there any consistency to how these units are wired..or do I have to create my own Map of what outlets/appliances are on which line..line1 or lin2 ?

Thanks.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:13 AM   #5

If it wired correctly you should not be able to pull more than 50 amps on each line. Even if you have extra heaters plugged in it would probably blow a breaker in your panel if you exceeded to much on 1 circuit. On 2010 DS 4086 the lines are fairly even most of the time
newmar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:13 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
There was a time that some coach's had to much wired to one side of the load center you need to identify where your AC's are wired and divide them between each side of the load center.
The AC's should not be off the inverter I believe.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:00 AM   #7

Inverter pass through

Quote:
Originally Posted by footdoc View Post
I think the problem is that even if your inverter is off, you are likely passing through the inverter to the appliances on certain or all recepticles....I think the inverter has a 30 amp breaker...if that is exceeded by recepticle draw it will flip....I understand that if you trip the breaker too many times, you will need an new one and they are not cheap! Try to determine which recepticles are not inverted and use them...if they ALL pass through the inverter, you may need to either rewire some to bypass the inverter or use a seperately wired one that bypasses the inverter and goes directly to a 20 amp pedestal outlet....just reduce your load through the inverter
The Magnum inverter has a 30 amp breaker that acts only as a pass through when hooked to shore power -- this is backed up in line by an additional 30 amp breaker (at least in my 2009 Dutch Aire) in the bath breaker panel. I replaced the 30 amp breaker in the bath panel with a 25 amp breaker to be sure it trips BEFORE the breaker in the inverter. Resetting the inverter breaker is a pain because of it's location. Yes, I do lose some capacity by going to the 25 amp breaker, but it's a lot better than going out in the rain and contorting myself to reach the inverter breaker.
dougburi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:05 AM   #8

The system is designed to shed load. Normally they are set for AC, water heater, washer/dryer. They shed load so that the system does not exceed 50 amp. The microwave is the greatest load next to your space heaters. I would suggest turning off one heater prior to using the microwave and that might solve the problem. The don't leave much spare wire for a rewire.
CHCam42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:33 AM   #9

getting worse.....

I spent 30 minutes on the phone with a Magnum tech....verified what I have heard on the forum with this exception. He said I should try not to exceed 30 amps on either line ... which wouldn't allow me to run very much. All my interior outlets and the microwave are on line 2.

Also..amp level when the breaker trips seems to be getting lower...am concluding the breaker is getting ready to fail?

Anyone know how hard it is to change a breaker on the inverter...something I can do..or does it take 2 people( awkward location on mine) or a RV shop?
Old 08-30-2012, 02:09 PM   #10

update..sorta ...

Magnum tech support has not really answered my last note..at least not completely. So here goes again...

1. I have a precision power control monitor...it is right next to the magnum remote control panel.

2. I remember..in the past seeing line 2 readings as high as 48 amps...with no weird effects. Line 1 at this time was very low...

3. Now it appears that I trip the breaker if I go over 30 amps on line 2.

4. Does this mean something is degrading or am I remembering incorrectly?

5. If 30 amp is max for an individual line....I am not getting much benefit from 50 amp service....since all my interior outlets , the microwave, 1 leg of the water heater ..and 1 of my 2 air conditioners are on line 2???

Comments....please!!!
Old 08-30-2012, 02:18 PM   #11

Not sure of your present location but here we don't need heaters this time of year. The load shedding devise is there to allow the microwave to run with out tripping if there is a heavy load. The fact that your inverter is tripping I'm not sure on. To work on mine you would have to lay on your back in a bay. I'm sure there is some one with experience that will jump in. Something that might help is to know what unit you have and year. I'll continue to monitor for results. Good luck.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:10 PM   #12

cold here in the am

We are in Buena Vista, Colo..8000 feet..so cold in the am. Have 2 small space heaters that i use when plugged in so I don't waste Diesel. I have a 2010 unit with a ME series Magnum Inverter with corresponding Magnum remote control. I am getting my amperage readings from the Precision Circuits Central Monitor panel insatlled on the same panel.

I just got off the phone with the Magnum tech..he says the 30 amp circuit breaker doesn't degrade..it either works or it doesn't. He thinks I am just running too high a load..which may be true. I am going to try and avoid going over 30 amps on either line and see what happens.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:55 PM   #13

and in conclusion

I spent 20 minutes on the phone this am with the techie behind Precison controls ..makers of the monitor in my rig. He has 4 patents and the patience of a saint. Finally...the light ( no pun intended ) went on.

1. Not all circuits go thru the inverter..but in my case...all of the plug in outlets ( except for the block heater in the basement) plus the microwave do pass the thru the inverter. If the total amperage on these exceed 30 amps...as shown on the monitor for line 2...the inverter 30 amp circuit breaker pops.

2. However...current consumed by items not on the inverter ALSO show on the energy monitor....so if my water heater is on high..it pulls around 25 amps by itself...1/2 of which is on line 2. If I have appliances on(line 2) pulling 25 amps...the line 2 amps on the monitor will show the total...12+25 = 37 amps...and everything will be fine.

If I turn enough stuff on..ie.. 2 space heaters(24 amps), the coffee maker(12amps) and the microwave(12amps)....all items running thru the inverter..i could easily exceed 30 amps ( depending upon whether the coffee maker is active or resting..the amps on these appliances seems to vary)..and the breaker pops.

All of the above is obvious to some of you..but I thought I would summarize so the next newbie doesn't have to scratch his head as much as I have.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:36 PM   #14

Trust me we all have been there.