Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2021, 03:46 PM   #43

Newmar Owners Club
We just came back from a 5 day stay at Ft Wilderness and we're very happy with the changes we made to the AC ducts. Normally my separate but highly accurate temperature sensors are about 4 degrees off of what shows on the Dometic Controller. This time it was only off by 1 - 1.5 degrees and the coach cooled very evenly and maintained the same temps front and rear. So I can say that at least our project turned out extremely well.
Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2021, 11:17 PM   #44

Will be testing out the added vent this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	blythe temp.png
Views:	26
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	333517  
Sukutto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 11:22 PM   #45

A much appreciated thread!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	vent2.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	333518   Click image for larger version

Name:	vent4.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	333519  

Name:	vent5.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	312.7 KB
ID:	333520   Click image for larger version

Name:	vent6.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	333521  

Old 06-25-2021, 07:53 AM   #46

I also am looking at portable AC with heat pump. Amazon has a Whynter ARC-14S and other models. Whynter with dual hose is a very highly rated product. Hope this helps.
ChasL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 07:58 AM   #47

That should Read: Whynter: ARC-14SH.
ChasL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 08:07 AM   #48

Portable heat pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHaley View Post
I'll probable get booed for this post but I have never counted on an RV AC system here in Texas. Colorado? Kansas? maybe.
I have a portable heat pump that I roll out and use.
It discharges the condenser air through the floor and straight out to the below RV.

It can get the RV so cold you would think you can hang been in it.

It's a heat pump so it works just fine for heating also but I only use it in the spring and early fall for heat. I put it away for the colder months and use the heater in the RV or a Vornado for heat. It's too is unbelievable for it's quietness heating ability and size.

Anyway the only HVAC system I have ever had that I raved about was a basement unit which is rare these days in most RV's.

Doc
Same issue here, was wondering which model DocHaley is referencing??
scotttkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 09:08 AM   #49

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasL View Post
I also am looking at portable AC with heat pump. Amazon has a Whynter ARC-14S and other models. Whynter with dual hose is a very highly rated product. Hope this helps.
You can also do what I did for around $1100 complete and never have to worry about carrying along a portable AC unit with hoses going out one of your RV windows, taking up space. See the thread below:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/jus...dp-540051.html
Old 06-26-2021, 05:24 AM   #50

Newmar Owners Club
Amazon

https://smile.amazon.com/Conditioner.../dp/B07RJ33WF1

To the poster that asked where I got the foam strip from.
Old 06-27-2021, 08:22 PM   #51

Did mine today and I do notice a difference in air flow. I have a London Aire that has recessed supply and return registers 3” above the decretive grill. I found 3” foam at Home Depot. Time will tell if it really make a difference.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5A8BF5B8-6C40-4F67-AD41-0FE4C35AFEF5.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	333892   Click image for larger version

Name:	D2A6370E-3356-43FF-AF1B-FBC78B3FA379.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	333893  

sramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 03:55 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeAnt View Post
To those folks that converted there AC covers to white. Can you tell me if it really helped. I have thought about doing this but I admit I am skeptical that it will help.
Thanks
Joe, since the AC's work by REMOVING heat from the incoming air and then sending it back into the coach, anything you can do to have cooler air going into the condenser is going to help as that process is only going to drop the temp just so much.

Dark colors (not just black) make tremendous differences in heat absorption. Last year, with the sun beating on the side of my coach, I took used my temp gun to measure the temps on different colors within inches of each other on the side. My darkest color is a metallic maroon...the lightest is a cream. The ambient temp was in the low 90's. The maroon avg temp on the gun was 181.8 degrees F. The cream, just inches away, was 143.6 Average. So, nearly 40 degrees difference in temp. Imagine black with direct sun on your AC cover vs white and what that does to the temps under that cover affecting what the condenser is trying to remove heat from.

Everything on my roof is now white. I installed white vent covers over the vent fans, my AC covers are white, and I had to replace my Winegard powered antenna head, so got the white vs the old one which was black (heat can greatly affect life of electronics.)

A lighter colored coach will be easier to keep cool as it's not absorbing all that heat and transferring it into the coach. Something to contemplate when purchasing a coach.

I have enjoyed this thread and am going to work on the foam mod. Great tips!
Old 06-28-2021, 06:00 PM   #53
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-1701A View Post
Joe, since the AC's work by REMOVING heat from the incoming air and then sending it back into the coach, anything you can do to have cooler air going into the condenser is going to help as that process is only going to drop the temp just so much.

Dark colors (not just black) make tremendous differences in heat absorption. Last year, with the sun beating on the side of my coach, I took used my temp gun to measure the temps on different colors within inches of each other on the side. My darkest color is a metallic maroon...the lightest is a cream. The ambient temp was in the low 90's. The maroon avg temp on the gun was 181.8 degrees F. The cream, just inches away, was 143.6 Average. So, nearly 40 degrees difference in temp. Imagine black with direct sun on your AC cover vs white and what that does to the temps under that cover affecting what the condenser is trying to remove heat from.

Everything on my roof is now white. I installed white vent covers over the vent fans, my AC covers are white, and I had to replace my Winegard powered antenna head, so got the white vs the old one which was black (heat can greatly affect life of electronics.)

A lighter colored coach will be easier to keep cool as it's not absorbing all that heat and transferring it into the coach. Something to contemplate when purchasing a coach.

I have enjoyed this thread and am going to work on the foam mod. Great tips!
When we ordered our 2019 DS, we ordered the 2019 Mountain Aire colors. They're almost exactly like yours. The cream along the roof is soooo much cooler. I also changed everything on the roof to white. We bought a Magna Shade, but really haven't put it to the test yet.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 07:21 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukutto View Post
A much appreciated thread!!
Well I bought to registers, the exact ones used by Newmar with the deep collar to install one in the front and then one in the master closet.

My bad for not measuring the duct before hand, both ducts only go about 6” past the last register drop. The front one does not even make it past the decorative ceiling drop down. :(
sramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 06:15 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-1701A View Post
J
Did you replace the AC covers with white ones or can you just paint the black covers white and accomplish the same goal?
Old 07-05-2021, 08:10 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by sramer View Post
Well I bought to registers, the exact ones used by Newmar with the deep collar to install one in the front and then one in the master closet.
I also bought the register with the deep collar. There was still 3/4in. to the ducting. I used ducting tape, front and backfilled with expanding insulating foam and shaped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sramer View Post
My bad for not measuring the duct before hand, both ducts only go about 6” past the last register drop. The front one does not even make it past the decorative ceiling drop down. :(
Wow...Our front ducting continued all the way to the front cabinets! This weekends plan was to add one in the master closet.

Tags
air