Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2015, 04:02 AM   #1

More Canyon Star 3612???

I am sure most of the posters have seen my many posts about the CS 3612. I knew North Trail was not going to have this model at the Tampa show, but I was hoping to look at the other 36?? models they had anyway. But NT did not bring any of them. If fact they only brought 4 of the 39?? models where I was told by a NT salesman that they would be bringing all of them.

So yesterday was a huge disappointment to us and we have already decided to wait until the 2016 models came out instead. We did not want to buy something without seeing one.

While we was walking Sophie (Yorkie that likes to run) I saw a Canyon Star way in the back that looked familiar. So I got close enough to see the model number and it was a 3612. It was the one in Atlanta that we was thinking about going to look at, but it was sold a few weeks ago. I knocked on the door and asked the owner if by chance we could look at it. Even though his wife was in bed nursing a sore back they agreed. I apologize to them to not remembering their names.

The DW feel in love with it. So we may be ordering a Newmar after all. We plan to go back to the NT display to look at the color schemes more today.
The total length inside is not much different from what we have now. But the two additional slides plus the extra closet space is great. Then add the residential refrigerator and the washer/dryer which was two of the main items we wanted. The pantry beside the frig was huge and the DW loved that also.

Now to the questions!

1) Is the laminate flooring more durable than the vinyl flooring? We are hoping Sophie will not scratch them.

2) Has anyone been able to get Newmar to install a sofa with recliners (Lambright)? I was told we could submit a special request for two of the Lambright recliners, but we would prefer a sofa/recliner instead.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2015, 01:29 PM   #2

If you connect with Mike and Cha, you can get some valuable assistance. They optioned their 3610 with the larger 26,000 lb GVWR chassis vs the 24,000 standard chassis. For a cost of about $1,750 with added weight of less than 500 lbs as I recall, it greatly expands the weight of your cargo carrying capacity when you consider all the weight factors that are relevant, at no loss of performance or anything else as I understand it.

Normally won't find option on the on the lot models...probably a key factor in buying new and ordering your rig.

You have to grab the 2014 Ford F-53 brochure on the super duty Class A motorhome chassis to get into the details. In particular, you can inform yourself as to the upgraded suspension that comes with your chassis that results in the greatly improved ride characteristics that have narrowed the gas vs diesel gap.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 01:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodgerS View Post
If you connect with Mike and Cha, you can get some valuable assistance. They optioned their 3610 with the larger 26,000 lb GVWR chassis vs the 24,000 standard chassis. For a cost of about $1,750 with added weight of less than 500 lbs as I recall, it greatly expands the weight of your cargo carrying capacity when you consider all the weight factors that are relevant, at no loss of performance or anything else as I understand it.

Normally won't find option on the on the lot models...probably a key factor in buying new and ordering your rig.

You have to grab the 2014 Ford F-53 brochure on the super duty Class A motorhome chassis to get into the details. In particular, you can inform yourself as to the upgraded suspension that comes with your chassis that results in the greatly improved ride characteristics that have narrowed the gas vs diesel gap.
The 24k chassis has a max trailer capacity of 6k and the 26K chassis has a 4K trailer capacity. That's why I don't understand why you would want to pay extra for the heavier springs when all Canyon Stars have a GCWR of 30,000 lbs regardless of rear springs.
Old 01-15-2015, 01:56 PM   #4

I did find out talking to someone that has the laminate planking that it will get scratched with the doggy toenails. So the DW agreed to drop this option.

We also decided to go with the Ventana wall hugger swivel recliner option instead of a sofa with recliners. This would simplify everything to have it set up that way at the factory.

The reason we want the upgraded chassis is this model with our options only has a CCC of around 1399 pounds. Our toad is less than the 4,000 pounds trailer capacity anyway.

Now comes the hard part of getting the deal that we want!!!!!!!

Here is another question.

Is the option for the Directv Traveler SKM-3 this option 5J232?
Old 01-15-2015, 08:09 PM   #5

“The 24k chassis has a max trailer capacity of 6k and the 26K chassis has a 4K trailer capacity. That's why I don't understand why you would want to pay extra for the heavier springs when all Canyon Stars have a GCWR of 30,000 lbs regardless of rear springs.”
===================
You are correct, quite confusing. However,

On the 24,000 chassis the Rear GVWR is 15,500 lbs. An owner of a 3434 reported than despite weight shifting, he had to leave some of his gear behind to stay within that weight limit on the rear axle. Going to the 26K chassis increases the rear axle capacity to 17,500 lbs. = 2,000 lbs more. Basically making it easier to carry a full load and with less need to have to weight shift to keep from overweighting the rear axle.

And:
“The Canyon Star is capable of handling 5,000 lbs. with its tow hitch.” Per Independence RV.

That, despite the chassis trailering capacity specifications as provided by Ford.

Mike and Charlotte: your magic trick has been discovered.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:50 AM   #6

I thought about the following question lying in bed last night. How many of the exterior compartment actually go all the way from one side to the other? I understand it is not very deep. In the pictures I am looking at this space appears to be blocked by pipes or tanks. This space is where I lay my chairs, mats, tables, ladder and other flat items in.
Old 01-16-2015, 05:40 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
In a gas coach there is storage above the chassis rails that can be accessed from either side compartments, if any do not go directly across the rails.
You have to remember where you placed stuff because you may forget the storage space above rails and what you placed there.
With 22.5 tires the compartments are higher for storage space above rails.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 05:58 AM   #8

Quote:
“The 24k chassis has a max trailer capacity of 6k and the 26K chassis has a 4K trailer capacity. That's why I don't understand why you would want to pay extra for the heavier springs when all Canyon Stars have a GCWR of 30,000 lbs regardless of rear springs.”
===================
You are correct, quite confusing. However,

On the 24,000 chassis the Rear GVWR is 15,500 lbs. An owner of a 3434 reported than despite weight shifting, he had to leave some of his gear behind to stay within that weight limit on the rear axle. Going to the 26K chassis increases the rear axle capacity to 17,500 lbs. = 2,000 lbs more. Basically making it easier to carry a full load and with less need to have to weight shift to keep from overweighting the rear axle.

And:
“The Canyon Star is capable of handling 5,000 lbs. with its tow hitch.” Per Independence RV.

That, despite the chassis trailering capacity specifications as provided by Ford.

Mike and Charlotte: your magic trick has been discovered.
Not sure why they're rated the way they are. In 1995 I bought a new Coachman Santara. I had the hitch replaced with one rated at 10K and I pulled a 32' enclosed race car trailer that was close to 10,000 lbs loaded. I towed it all over the country for several years without issue. At any race track there were hundreds of others doing the same thing and I can't recall of anyone having problems. I can't imagine what gear you could put in one that would over load it to where it would be a problem. Just my opinion but I think if an independent engineer looked at one he would conclude that a lot was left on the table.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:09 AM   #9

rodz
Isn't the engine part of the issue? Your Santara was a Ford 460? Would not the 362 V10 be significantly different than the Ford 460? But, I suspect you are right regardless.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
I thought about the following question lying in bed last night. How many of the exterior compartment actually go all the way from one side to the other? I understand it is not very deep. In the pictures I am looking at this space appears to be blocked by pipes or tanks. This space is where I lay my chairs, mats, tables, ladder and other flat items in.
I was able to look at the exterior compartments and there is one compartment in the rear that goes all the way through. If I do not take the exterior TV options there would be another one there. This will be our only option to have room for the table, chairs, mats, ladder, etc.
Old 01-16-2015, 02:53 PM   #11

Quote:
rodz
Isn't the engine part of the issue? Your Santara was a Ford 460? Would not the 362 V10 be significantly different than the Ford 460? But, I suspect you are right regardless.
The V10 has more power. The 460 actually pulled the load very good and I suspect the V10 would pull even better. The Canyon Star's chassis is built way better and stronger than the 1995 chassis and has a much better trans for towing compared to the old 3 speed with OD. If I needed to do it again I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to upgrade my hitch and go.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:27 PM   #12

It's all how you do the math weight is weight, I can pull up to a 5000lb Toad if I want. All the 26k does, other than some other things Newmar added, is change the NCC, but if you don't carry the max NCC, which we don't, that can be added back into the towing capacity. All the hitches are rated at 5000 lbs. I think it would be crazier to pull a 6000 lb trailer/toad on a 5000lb rated hitch. The actual difference is in the rear springs and front axel, and the two don't wiegh 2000lbs difference. This has all been verified by Newmar and Ford, they just have to rate it based on what the MH NCC is.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 09:55 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
It's all how you do the math weight is weight, I can pull up to a 5000lb Toad if I want. All the 26k does, other than some other things Newmar added, is change the NCC, but if you don't carry the max NCC, which we don't, that can be added back into the towing capacity. All the hitches are rated at 5000 lbs. I think it would be crazier to pull a 6000 lb trailer/toad on a 5000lb rated hitch. The actual difference is in the rear springs and front axel, and the two don't wiegh 2000lbs difference. This has all been verified by Newmar and Ford, they just have to rate it based on what the MH NCC is.
You're right, weight is weight and they all have a GCWR of 30,000 lbs. We've been through this before. They are the exact same chassis other than the rear springs right down to every part number being the same, even the complete driveline. The front on both have the same 9,000 lb front axle, brakes, wheels, tires, springs and shocks. The 26K gives you a stiffer rear spring. What could you carry with you that would max out either one? Is it really necessary to take all your possessions with you on a trip? Even if I were to full time, I can't see where I would need to pack all this "stuff" that I know would never get used. Your springs are only 12lbs heavier than mine so that gives you the ability to carry 1988 lbs. more. I sure wouldn't be concerned if I were a few hundred over weight. Engineering always leaves some padding in their numbers. Always. When a bridge is designed to hold 200,000 lbs. It will easily hold more than twice that number. It will not fail at 200,001 lbs
Old 01-17-2015, 10:13 AM   #14

Interest point rodz about chassis similarities. They do make several different chassis with different GCWR, but yes the 24 and 26k have the same GCWR. I'm printing out the specs on those two so I can compare them.