RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2014, 10:56 PM   #1

More factory pick-up questions

After you have made a deal for a new Newmar with a dealer and decide to pick up the new coach at the factory, when/how/where do you turn loose of your trade-in?
Will the dealer want your trade-in immediately as soon as you are notified your new coach is ready at the factory?
If you turn in your old coach at the dealer how do you empty all your belongings/furnishings and still take enough with you to live in for a week or two at the factory along with enough items to get back home considering you may be 2-3 days travel from the factory?
Does it ever happen that your dealer is one direction from your home base while the factory is in the other direction? We live in the central part of the U.S. so this could be a reality for us.
Sorry for all the questions, hope they are not too unrealistic.
Thanks

wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2014, 11:22 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here is a thread with what you need to know and how Ken did his.
Here is another thread.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 05:00 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
wagonmaster2 ... here is how we did it.

We live in south Florida (a good 2 day drive to Nappanee) and had to turn in our trade a month before the new one was ready.

We unloaded the old coach at our house and stored all "the stuff" until time to go get the new one.

Then we rented a U-Haul trailer one-way to Nappanee and hauled it all up there with us. Had the trailer and Jeep filled to the brim.

Newmar let us unload it in the building right next to the new one during the factory pick-up ... and then we were able to have "all of it" as we loaded the new one. We wanted it all there so we could figure out were everything needed to go as we loaded things in and could put it away in an orderly fashion.

Then we turned in the U-Haul, hooked up the Jeep and took a trip on the way home.

Worked good for us ... even in the snow!

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2346.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	216.6 KB
ID:	76495   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2349.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	164.5 KB
ID:	76496  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2339.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	178.6 KB
ID:	76497  
FLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 05:50 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi wagonmaster2,
The details of how the trade is to be turned over to the selling dealer need to be negotiated and written into the sales contract. For me, the sooner the dealer gets the trade the higher price for the trade. A dealer only wants what they can sell. Many times a dealer has a waiting list for pre-owned Newmar coaches.

When/where the trade coach is to be delivered will determine the method used to remove/store personal items. Consider this, if the logistics of delivering the trade coach to the dealer are too much; have it written into the sales contract the dealer will provide a professional driver (of their choice and contracted with the selling dealer) to pick up the coach at an agreed to location/date and deliver it to the selling dealer. Take pictures of the coach inside and outside. When the dealer's professional driver picks up the coach, it is now the selling dealer's responsibility.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 05:58 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Would it be safe to say the quality control is better on a factory pickup vs a dealer pickup? I would hope every model would have the same amount of quality control.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 03:17 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
The quality control is the same. The difference is that after production is done and the unit is ready for shipping, the Newmar service techs spend 2 weeks on PDI, operating every appliance and every system vs the dealer who is paid for a max of 2 hours and just checks if the appliances turn on. with the factory delivery some of the "infant mortality" is found and repaired.

2015 DSDP 4369 with HWH Active Air, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Roadmaster tow bar, SMI AirForce One, Silverleaf VMSPc
andyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 06:31 PM   #7

While having my coach worked on at the factory I watched a team of three techs begin the PDI process, I was amazed at the level of detail that the team exercised on the customers coach and I only got to see the first three days.

Factory delivery is well worth the money and effort in my view.

Bill
OC Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:22 PM   #8

Thanks for all that information. Sounds like it could get very complicated making all connections work out in the right order. I guess turning loose of my old coach before actually seeing the new one seems a little scary.

On a little different angle, what percentage of the sales price do most dealers require as a down payment before the new one is ordered? I've heard as much as 20% but I've never paid over $2,000 even on my last Winnebago with a MSRP of $190,000. Does it differ from dealer to dealer?

Trading for a new coach is very exciting, but also can get complicated especially for an old coot like me.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 04:30 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
I have seen where Newmar owner's get a discount at a certain hotel while their coach is being worked on. Do the new owner's get this same discount? I am trying to figure out what the additional costs will be besides the $2800 charge of Newmar's. I am a little less than a 1,000 miles from there.

Also will getting the factory delivery relieve the dealer the coach is purchased from of any warranty/service issues? I don't want to have to make a trip way back up there for any work that could be done at my local dealer.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 05:09 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Hi reubenray,
You are the customer of the selling dealer. There should be no difference in treatment based on where one takes delivery. During the sales process consider having the sales person show you the service area and introduce you to the service manager.

There are several local lodging establishments that partner with Newmar. They provide different types of lodging. The establishment will not know if you are a new owner or a current owner. Contact Newmar for a list to choose from and if you need any proof from Newmar you are eligible for the discount. There should be no problem receiving the discount when picking up a coach.
Old 10-15-2014, 05:17 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Hi wagonmaster2,
Deposits and the T/Cs that go along with the deposit are unique to each dealer. It should be part of the sales negotiation before signing the contract. The dealer and the customer both have concerns about a deposit.

You are correct and not alone with the feelings of anxiety about being without a coach.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:42 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
At the Nappanee Inn which is closest to Newmar, you just have to say that you are there for Newmar service and you will get the discounted rate. Unless you will have a very unusual issue during delivery, you will only spend Sunday night at the hotel.
The only other expense to count on, at least in my case, the dealer would deliver the coach with a full tank of gas, but Newmar, from what I heard, will not. I will find out more in mid November during my PDI.

2015 DSDP 4369 with HWH Active Air, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Roadmaster tow bar, SMI AirForce One, Silverleaf VMSPc
andyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 07:00 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
You can stay next door at the Nappanee Inn. When you make the reservation just tell them you are a Newmar customer and they will give you a rate of $59.00 or at least that was the rate in April of this year when I picked up my new coach. Also as the other poster noted, for factory delivery you would only need to stay one night at the hotel. During the week long customer delivery process your coach is returned to you by the end of the day,each day. While at Newmar we upgraded our convection oven which required the tech to take the coach back inside. We found things to do while the work was being done. Another day the paint group wanted to do something so once more, took the coach back inside. Again, you will be back in your coach by the end of the day.

There is really no consistent process in place anywhere that I know of regarding the amount for placing an order. This is pretty much a deal by deal situation. The same dealer could offer two different approaches towards the coach order to two different buyers at the same location. Your trade, amount of down payment for the new coach, credit etc all come into play for each deal. I have even heard of folks placing an order for nothing and others paying 5k to place the order. Just really depends on your dealer and situation.

In terms of the fuel tank. Correct, our coach was half full of fuel and the DEF tank was 100% full. I am not really sure why they do not fill the tank.

Having personally been through the factory pickup process, I would do it again.
KenNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 05:37 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Does anyone know if destination charges are deleted from final invoice if factory pickup option is used? I assume ther are destination charges? At least they are not paying for drivers, fuel, insurance, to move the coach hundreds, if not thousands of miles in the wrong direction.

Slydog is offline   Reply With Quote