Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2012, 01:12 PM   #1

Motorcycle carrier

Does anyone have or use a blue ox motorcycle carrier. I'm looking at getting one due to the one person operation
Towboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2012, 10:59 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here is a post about one there are others if you do a search top of forum there are others.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:31 PM   #3

We had a homemade electric one that was easily operated by one person. Not that hard to make but 3 receiver connections are recommended.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:05 AM   #4

If you are near Seattle Jim Lewis @Infinity Coach in Sumner,Wa has designed and installed several powered motorcyle and ATV carriers. The last one I drooled over held a huge 4X4 ATV or a couple of Harleys with ease. Drive on, drive off. Infinity Coach | Company Profile
teamwally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 04:18 PM   #5

another alternative..hydralift.. I had 1 on my 5th wheel and now have 1 on my 40ft DSDP. It is 1 person loadable....but feels a lot safer with my wife backing me up!
litespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 04:48 PM   #6

I have an Overbilt lift, which was the genesis for the Blue Ox. They licensed it from Overbilt. It's a great lift. I used one for several years and liked it.
Road Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:43 PM   #7

Thanks for the options everyone. I like the high ones. Couldn't believe there was one for a razor wow !! Lot of over hang. Someone showed me a tandem tow dolly that can hold razor and bike plus dolly a car. ??? Looks feasible ???
Old 08-17-2012, 12:24 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Oh yes! Dolly's are very flexible, safe and affordable!
And, these "Tandem" Dolly's look very very versatile
Motorcycle/Car Tow Dollies For Sale : Tandem Tow
or
Landgrebe Manufacturing: Specifications TD 40 101 with Motorcycle Carrier

Towboat; Are you gonna lose the Honda Pilot for a dolly towable car?
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088
Oh yes! Dolly's are very flexible, safe and affordable!
And, these "Tandem" Dolly's look very very versatile
Motorcycle/Car Tow Dollies For Sale : Tandem Tow
or
Landgrebe Manufacturing: Specifications TD 40 101 with Motorcycle Carrier

Towboat; Are you gonna lose the Honda Pilot for a dolly towable car?
The pilot would have be completely off the ground. I'm thinking of using my civic or getting a wrangler. I want to bring all my toys with me at once !!
Old 08-17-2012, 01:57 AM   #10

I want to bring all toys. Side by side and motorcycle plus car
Old 08-17-2012, 02:26 AM   #11

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Here is what I use... Love it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer1.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	198.6 KB
ID:	24938   Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer2.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	173.2 KB
ID:	24939  

Attached Images

windydaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:59 AM   #12

That's perfect Windydabo. Tandem axle !!! Where can I find one ????
Old 08-17-2012, 03:30 PM   #13

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towboater View Post
That's perfect Windydabo. Tandem axle !!! Where can I find one ????
I actually found this on Craigslist from a custom trailer shop that went out of business in Lake City, Fl. It was brand spanking new and comes with brakes and battery powered break-away box. I did have to replace my hitch to handle the tongue weight though. I got a 16,000lb/2500lb TW HD Draw-tite utility truck hitch and brackets from Etrailer.com for $225 or so and had it welded by a professional fabricator and added cross bracing to eliminate any side to side movement. It is welded to the frame and the rear motor support braces. With the bikes loaded the tongue weight is heavy, but the RV handles it without blinking an eye and we just finished a 7000 mile trip with it cross country without any issues. It tows great.
The guy who built it has gone into the trailer supply business but told me he would still build custom units by order. He went broke pre-building the units and waiting for them to sell and had to downsize from his very large shop to a smaller one. I have his info somewhere, but can't find it at the moment, I will keep looking and pass it on to you if interested. I don't know what he would charge to build one, and I got this one for a steal, less than it cost to build it, but I looked at other single axles for 5k and this one is much better. It's 8x8 platform can hold just about anything and we drive the bikes on and off. It is very versitile and can be used as a utility trailer when not camping. The ramps for the platform are 2 ft wide and can be locked together with a twist. They are mounted in the front. The dolly ramps are stored in channels under the trailer. It has a Master-tow dolly set up mounted over the rear axle.
I have received so much interest about this trailer/dolly that I have considered building them to order myself. We even had people taking pictures of it while driving down the road!
As for road grime, we just squirt some Harley liquid cleaner on them and hose them off after a few minutes, dry with a towel, and they shine. The DW and I can load both bikes and the Jeep in less than 15 mins. The tool box I added myself. It's a side rail pu truck box and hold all straps, lights, tools and gear. It is 16ft long. We had to weigh the trailer to register it, since it was brand new, and it weighed 1620lbs. It may sound like a lot, but it is very well built and very strong. We then stamped the trailer with the VIN that the DMV gave us when we titled it.

Sorry for being so long winded, just trying to explain it the best I can. If you want more info or want me to keep digging for the original builder, just PM me anytime.
Good luck... Jason
windydaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:13 PM   #14

Yes windydaboo I'm very interested. I would send you my number on a pm but I'm new here and don't know how to send a pm. I've looked at the 8x8 single axle and even spoke with them. They said I could fit my razor and motorcycle on there at the same time. $7800 seemed pricey but it's about the only thing I found that would carry both and a toad. Looked at the blue ox carrier but then I couldn't trailer or dolly anything else unless 4 down then I'd have to triple tow. The single axle seem to me a little under built. Then I saw your double now that looks stout. I'm interested.
Thanks for your time. If u could pm me I'll respond