Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2022, 02:06 AM   #1

Mountain Aire

Hello:

I'm interested in buying a distance 2005 Newmar Mountain Aire 4304 and have several questions. Hoping to hear what you guys think.

1. The current seller said the previous owner (before him) told him that Newmar reskinned and painted the RV due to delamination in 2015. We all know to run fast from delamination, but the current seller tells me there is NO evidence of delamination to this date. Would this be a bad buy even though it looks good?

2. It has a ISL 400HP Cummins Turbo diesel, was the turbo an option or standard on the ISL 400? And any issues with the turbo?

Thank you all in advance,
Dale
1996 34'J Fleetwood Bounder, Chevy 454 TBI P-32, Bank PowerPack, Ultra Power Chip, BellCranks, Rear Trac Bar, Silver Safe-T-Plus and 04 CR-V Toad, Roadmaster Base Plate and All Terain Tow Bar, SMI Stay-In-Play DUO.
leesdx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2022, 07:00 AM   #2

I have a 2005 MADP 4032. The smaller brother to the coach you are looking at.

1. It probably was not true delamination. Some of the fiberglass panels used in the industry around that year would craze under the dark paint colors due to heat buildup. This would result in a purely cosmetic crazing in the paint. It is not structural and is not really delamination. Mine has this problem under some of the dark brown paint on the passenger side. The only way to fix it permanently is to re-skin and repaint. It is a long shot, but based on the coach number or VIN, Newmar may have information about what was done and why.

2. All Cummins ISL were turbo diesels. It is a great pre-emissions engine. Depending on when it was built, it could be a CAPS engine or a common rail VGT turbo engine. That was Cummins transitioning to ultra low sulfur diesel. The common rail VGT turbo is considered by some to be the preferred engine. My ISL was built 04/17/2004 and is a common rail VGT engine. Cummins can tell you what you have based on the engine serial number.
bentjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 07:07 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Spartan Chassis
Have the 06 4032 and I have had the engine belt installed as well as the rear plate along with some of the other stuff associated. Also had leaks in exhaust manifold, so new gasket. My mechanic and I speculate that because it sit so much (40k), the gaskets may have dried out too much.

Otherwise with any older coach, expect to have to work on it.

No real issues with paint that bothers me.

Although as I type NIRVC in ATL is reinstalling the cap with the fiberglass rebuilt\supported to help with my cracked windshield issues.
Old 11-14-2022, 10:59 AM   #4

Newmar did indeed have some issues in 2005 & 2006 with sidewall delamination. They repaired at their expense 2 coaches of friends of mine @ N/C to the owners. The repair held up good after completion.

I previously owned a 2005 MADP & had no issues with it. The Cummins 400 Hp was turbo charged as were all in that model year. Great Non-Def engine & it ran well. If its on a Spartan chassis- check the neoprene tie-rod covers for deterioration. Also drain a sample of differential oil & check for metal shavings. Some of the Spartan 2005's & 2006's had defective pinion gears in then.

Happy Trails
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 07:57 PM   #5

Delamination? Are we talking about the glue letting loose between the aluminum studs and fiberglass outer wall?

I don't think of Newmar's walls as laminated as the term is used in the industry. I consider them as "stick built."

Did they do actual full wall vacuum or pinch rolled walls at some point in time?
2016 Chevy Silverado 4x4
NCC-1701A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 10:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentjm View Post
I have a 2005 MADP 4032. The smaller brother to the coach you are looking at.

1. It probably was not true delamination. Some of the fiberglass panels used in the industry around that year would craze under the dark paint colors due to heat buildup. This would result in a purely cosmetic crazing in the paint. It is not structural and is not really delamination. Mine has this problem under some of the dark brown paint on the passenger side. The only way to fix it permanently is to re-skin and repaint. It is a long shot, but based on the coach number or VIN, Newmar may have information about what was done and why.

The long shot sound like a good idea. i will contact them to see.

2. All Cummins ISL were turbo diesels. It is a great pre-emissions engine. Depending on when it was built, it could be a CAPS engine or a common rail VGT turbo engine. That was Cummins transitioning to ultra low sulfur diesel. The common rail VGT turbo is considered by some to be the preferred engine. My ISL was built 04/17/2004 and is a common rail VGT engine. Cummins can tell you what you have based on the engine serial number.
Also good to know. Thanks!!
1996 34'J Fleetwood Bounder, Chevy 454 TBI P-32, Bank PowerPack, Ultra Power Chip, BellCranks, Rear Trac Bar, Silver Safe-T-Plus and 04 CR-V Toad, Roadmaster Base Plate and All Terain Tow Bar, SMI Stay-In-Play DUO.
Old 11-14-2022, 10:50 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Newmar uses a hung wall construction method. No lamination, thus no delamination. It was reskinned due to the issues stated above. Paint would check mostly on the darker areas. It was a known issue in that time period.
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 05:36 AM   #8

Search for 'filon".

Some bad batches of this material from the manufacturer caused the crazing. This was across the industry- not just Newmar. Again, this is purely cosmetic.

There was a time around the mid-2010s where Newmar was absorbing some of the cost of having this fixed.

It is actually a plus that this was fixed.
bentjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 06:02 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The absolutely best thing you can do is hire a certified RV inspector to look at the coach before you buy the coach.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 08:52 PM   #10

Thank you all for your input.
Old 11-23-2022, 12:56 AM   #11

I have a 2005 4304 Newmar Mountain Air, I am the only owner, it has 99,000 miles on it.
The only major problems are/were: The side fiberglass got the dreaded checking in the jel cost (all over), the clear coat is pealing off (all over), the GPS/rear camera system is no longer supported, the map updates have long ago been discontinued. Mine quit working and would not read the disks, any disk. I did solve the rear camera problem, but that is another subject for another time. Had problems with the 3 gages on the A pillar, replaced all 3 for a shocking amount of $ from Spartan. Had the Hydro Hot system rebuilt/replaced.
Would I purchase this coach again? You bet.
mtnpush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 12:51 AM   #12

Did you go for the 2005 MADP?
mtnpush is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, mountain aire