Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2022, 06:29 PM   #1

Mountain Aire Mystery - Phantom alarm/buzzer

Here is one head scratcher for all of you.
We are storing our 2006 Mountain Aire 4306 over winter. My house batteries are removed from the coach and sitting in my garage in storage. I came outside a week ago to find an audible alarm going inside the coach. I went inside to check where it was coming from without any luck. I checked and disconnected the 2 smoke and co2 detectors, still ringing. It appears to be coming from the slide out areas in the bedroom. It is so loud it will leave your ears ringing after only a few minutes and this has been going on for a week.!? For kicks I removed all of the leads from the chassis batteries for 1 hour and the alarm is still going as strong as ever. I checked the basement for anything I may have stored inside but nothing there and the alarm is definitely coming from inside near the bedroom. I called Newmar CS and talked them. They could'nt tell me what to check so they went to the tech dept and inquired, rec'd the same shoulder shrug? My only other thought was to install the house batteries and see if the alarm goes away. I do have 1 or 2 locking mechanisms for the bedroom slides that are not 100% closed in the locking position. I don't think that should matter but who knows??If anyone has some suggestions I would be grateful.
ToddnRhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2022, 06:35 PM   #2

Co2 sensor maybe. Did you removal all external power ? If yes the darn thing has to die sometime lol.
Iceclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 07:07 PM   #3

That sounds similar to a situation we had in a Canyon Star a few years ago. Turned out to be a propane detector. It was down low, a few inches above the floor by the passenger chair.
Eric R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 08:27 AM   #4

Yes, all battery power has been disconnected from the coach. I will look for other sensors again, but I did look several times already, every closet every cupboard and every drawer etc. Very odd to me.?
As I said it seems to be coming from the bedroom area. There is a small half circle grill coming off the wall beside the right side headboard of the bed ( the slides are in) that could be a speaker grill? I can reach it but I can't feel any vibration from the alarm coming from it. That area is where the audible warning comes from where it tells you to keep objects clear while opening bedroom slides. This thing has been screaming for a almost a week now and it's not dead yet? What the bjeebers can it be?
Old 03-09-2022, 09:04 AM   #5

That little grill on the wall next to the bed is the temperature sensor for the rear HVAC zone. My thought would be a propane alarm but all I have seen are powered by the coach batteries and those have been removed. I am thinking it is some after market alarm that a previous owner installed.
Old 03-09-2022, 09:18 AM   #6

Your batteries are outgassing and setting off the propane gas detector. Air it out good. And do something about possibly dried out, old batteries.
Old 03-09-2022, 06:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddnRhonda View Post
Here is one head scratcher for all of you.
We are storing our 2006 Mountain Aire 4306 over winter. My house batteries are removed from the coach and sitting in my garage in storage. I came outside a week ago to find an audible alarm going inside the coach. I went inside to check where it was coming from without any luck. I checked and disconnected the 2 smoke and co2 detectors, still ringing. It appears to be coming from the slide out areas in the bedroom. It is so loud it will leave your ears ringing after only a few minutes and this has been going on for a week.!? For kicks I removed all of the leads from the chassis batteries for 1 hour and the alarm is still going as strong as ever. I checked the basement for anything I may have stored inside but nothing there and the alarm is definitely coming from inside near the bedroom. I called Newmar CS and talked them. They could'nt tell me what to check so they went to the tech dept and inquired, rec'd the same shoulder shrug? My only other thought was to install the house batteries and see if the alarm goes away. I do have 1 or 2 locking mechanisms for the bedroom slides that are not 100% closed in the locking position. I don't think that should matter but who knows??If anyone has some suggestions I would be grateful.
Ok. I’m going to tell you a short story. Last weekend, we were leaving Rockport, Tx and as we were getting on the highway, my wife said she heard a ringing or an alarm going off. I pulled over and checked everything but to no avail. About 20 miles up the road, she said that she and the dogs couldn’t stand it any more.

What was it? It was a water alarm that I had put in the basement to let me know of a leak. The water softener had started dripping into the pan and had set off the alarm. Problem solved.

Do you know if there are any aftermarket alarms that have been installed. My Bulldog water alarms work on AA batteries.
Country Road is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 10:37 PM   #8

Get some foam earplugs. They will attenuate the noise level enough for you to locate the offending device directionally.
Suburbazine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 06:21 PM   #9

Do you know if there are any aftermarket alarms that have been installed. My Bulldog water alarms work on AA batteries.

The alarm finally died! I am at the same conclusion that there must be an aftermarket alarm installed for something. Perhaps a water leak or propane detector but perplexed that it would blast full on LOUD for 7 days on a 9v or AA batteries. Strange indeed, If I find out what the heck it is/was I will post it

Thank you all for your suggestions to the matter.
Old 03-11-2022, 09:44 PM   #10

Loud piercing alarm Finally died after one week. The mystery will continue until we find out what that was.

Tags
air, mountain aire