Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2014, 06:19 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Mountain Aire rooftop drains

There are drains on the four corners on the roof of the coach however a few of them are clogged. I was told to use an air compressor to shoot air up to clear the clog. Where are the drain lines under the coach. What should I be looking for?

Thanks,

T
troyrice76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2014, 08:42 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
On mine there's a grate (or a cover with lots of holes) that covers the roof drains at each corner of the roof under the awnings. Unless you are able to remove this grate compressed air wouldn't help. I would suggest something like a long (maybe 12") pipe cleaner to run thru the holes in the grate and hopefully into the drain tube as well.

At the bottom of the MH you should find a black painted pipe that has a flat rubber attachment similar to the one used for the Fresh Water Tank Overflow.

Clean the upper grate and run water in it. Then squeeze the lower rubber part, causing it to open and see if water begins to flow. I've had the rubber drain get plugged.

If all this fails...remove the rubber piece that's held on by a zip tie and hold a wet vac hose on the pipe to "suck" the junk out.

Good luck!!!!
Old 07-05-2014, 09:31 AM   #3

I have a 11 model MA. There are two drains on the front. One on each side. The rear has both drains on the pass side. I found out the factory used a long screw to hold the rubber duck bill on the drain pipe. I was always having problems with the drains clogging. The long screw holding the rubber duck bill was holding debris . The rear pipe had over two inches of silt plugging it up. I removed the screwed and rubber duck bill and have not had a problem since.

The start of my investigation was my air filter got wet. It appeared the roof drains were plugged and I was driving in the worst rain ever. I climbed an overpass and all of the water came off of the roof and down the rear of the rv into the intake. There is a duck bill in the intake system to handle water but that too was clogged with bugs and a long screw. I was not able to remove the screw because of the way it was installed to I opened up the duck bill.
Old 07-05-2014, 01:49 PM   #4

If you don't want to climb up on the roof, sometimes you can clear the drain by sticking a garden hose up the duckbill, clamping you hand around the outside of the duckbill and turn on the water and back flush the drain, if you have a ladder you can periodically reach up to the roof drain and pull the crud off the inlet.
Old 07-05-2014, 05:40 PM   #5
Zak

I have a 2014 MADP... Use compressed air on the rubber duck bill outlet at about 20 to40 psi. I just cleared a bunch of tree gunk and small debris out of one of ours doing this. Clamp down around the air gun nozzle inside the duck bill with your hand...it forces the air up to unclog the junk. You'll know you did it Correctly when a bunch of water shoots down your arm!
Zak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 06:48 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Shot air up all 4 they are clear now and now there is no more AC condensation water running down the side of the coach.
troyrice76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:06 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Ain't these Forums great!!!!

Tags
roof