Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2020, 10:12 AM   #1

Mountain Aire vs Dutch Star help

We are trying to decide between a new (holdover) 2018 Mountain Aire and a new 2020 Dutch Star. We are new to Newmar and hoping for those with experience to share their thoughts.

We are being offered essentially the same purchase price on the units. The 2020 DS comes with quite a few upgrades in it while the MA, with a few small exceptions, is the base 2018 MA model.

The DS comes with extras already installed such as washer, dryer, dishwasher and satellite, as well as some of the new 2020 improvements. It is also at a local dealer whereas we will have to travel to another state for the MA. The 500 hp and added torque are a big draw for us with the MA but we are wondering if we would really notice the difference from 450 to the 500. Any thoughts or suggestions would be very welcome! Either way we know we can’t go wrong with a Newmar!
Palazzo33.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2020, 10:27 AM   #2

I"d opt for the newer coach with all its features. 50 HP is nice but you live in the coach more than you drive it. I have a 2016 Dutch Star 4369 with a 450 engine and it does just fine towing my 4,000 lb GMC Terrain Denali or my 9,000 lb enclosed dune buggy trailer.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 10:54 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
A 2018 sitting for almost 3 years is bond to have shortened battery life and tire with a date code almost 3 years old. I personally would be very leery of the 2018 that is pretty much 3 model years old. Good luck
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 11:14 AM   #4

Same floorplan? I know the 40' there are quite a few chassis upgrades that my or may not be worth it. ~500 ft/lbs of torque, air level not just hydraulic jacks. SilverLeaf and larger front axle.

IMHO the insides are similar enough quality so that isn't a big enough reason. I'd treat the 2018 as if it were a used coach even though it's not. Would you buy the MA coach used? What would you change or be concerned about then?
Driveby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 12:14 PM   #5

As long as both coaches are on Spartan chassis that would be important. The MA will have the K3 chassis with disc brakes on all axles, high GVW and better performance for mountain and west coast travel. MA should also be just a little longer and have higher cabinet openings for storage. Looks close and you will see more and as long as MA is excellent condition would recommend the MA.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 12:18 PM   #6

Let me start by saying that if those two motorhomes were my only choices, I’d go with the 2020 Dutch Star. But just to make the decision a little more difficult for you…

The horsepower difference is slight – 450 for the Dutch Star versus 500 for the Mountain Aire, a difference of only 11%. But the torque difference is substantial – 1250 for the Dutch Star versus 1695 for the Mountain Aire, a difference of 36%. Torque is what gets you up hills, more so than horsepower.

Plus the Mountain Aire has what I think is one of the coolest names in the motorhome industry.

Those points made, if you go with the Dutch Star it will be two model years newer whenever you decide to sell or trade. Dutch Stars are very popular and tend to hold their value better than most.

Good luck with your decision process!
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 04:18 PM   #7

I would probably go with the Mountain Aire. There is a reason for the $200K MSRP difference. I bought a new 2008 coach in 2010 and had no negative effects from it sitting on the lot so long.
Old 04-18-2020, 04:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom chelbana View Post
As long as both coaches are on Spartan chassis that would be important. The MA will have the K3 chassis with disc brakes on all axles, high GVW and better performance for mountain and west coast travel. MA should also be just a little longer and have higher cabinet openings for storage. Looks close and you will see more and as long as MA is excellent condition would recommend the MA.
Newmar Man

I have the K3 chassis and that would be the reason to buy the MA.

Coral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 07:19 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Don't let the spartan guys brain wash you, nothing wrong with the freightliner chassis. The extra torque would be very nice, but are you buying to live in or drive like a sports car? There has been a ton of upgrades in those 2 years. For me, it would come down to overall likes, dislikes, options, colors, and floor plan. What would that MA be valued if it had 5K miles on it? It's almost 3 1/2 years old. Good Luck!
Hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 09:56 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Palazzo33.2,

Just an FYI if you are interested, and maybe it can help you make an educated decision. I just looked up the wholesale trade in value of a 2018 Mountain Aire 4535 (not sure what model you are looking at) in the March-April edition of my Nada Wholesalers guide. They show an original average MSRP for that coach of $637,458, of course most will pay 25-30% less than that, and an average trade-in value of $322,900.

I haven't been talking to the dealers lately, so I am not sure with what is going on in the country today if they are currently trading at, above, or below that number. If you want more info, you might want to call Tom Lindstrom in Simi Valley. He is a straight shooter and was very forthright in the numbers and more.

I also shopped the Mountain Aire and the Dutch Star and went with the 2020 DS4369. I thought I would miss the electronics of the MA but I don't. As for the power, I test drove both the DS and the MA several times, and I felt that the extra weight of the MA really cancels out the power increase. The extra torque was nice, but not worth the extra depreciation hit I would take at trade-in time. What I miss the most about the MA, is the Valid Air system on it since I had it on my Tiffin Allegro Bus. But as pointed out by many here, I live in it far more than I drive it!

Best of luck on two great choices!
tqqest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 06:05 AM   #11

K3 alone is why I’d get the MA
dcrna1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 07:20 AM   #12

Get on the Spartan chassis website and compare the DS K2 differences to the MA K3 differences. They are huge.. do the comparison.

MA> ISX engine and Allison 4000 transmission too. All disk brakes and large tires. Passive steer tag axle.

You are getting much more coach with the MA. There is a reason it is called the Luxury Line in Newmar.

Look at this too. >> https://newmar.imgix.net/wp-content/...ochure-web.pdf

Coral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 07:29 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJowdy View Post
I"d opt for the newer coach with all its features. 50 HP is nice but you live in the coach more than you drive it. I have a 2016 Dutch Star 4369 with a 450 engine and it does just fine towing my 4,000 lb GMC Terrain Denali or my 9,000 lb enclosed dune buggy trailer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
A 2018 sitting for almost 3 years is bound to have shortened battery life and tire with a date code almost 3-4 years old. I personally would be very leery of the 2018 that is pretty much 3 model years old. Good luck
^^^^^Think you have it in a Nutshell right there^^^^^

Three years sitting on the lot with No Use - If they were will to give you another $50K off maybe otherwise buy the DS.

Look at used MA with same options or more - what are they selling For - Less than they are asking for something that has been Neglected for 3-4 years on the Lot.

If you decide on MA just find a better Deal, trust me they are out there.

JMHO,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 07:44 AM   #14

If you're going to trade it/sell it in a couple of years all of this is important, if you're not none of this really that important.

Buy the one you like the best.

Tags
air, dutch star, mountain aire