Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2018, 10:59 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra 225 View Post
Fantastic story! It is refreshing to hear about good folks out there who care. I would say you definitely ran into all the right people. "Someone" was guiding your journey.

Exacting what I was thinking. Among the most amazing RV stories that I have had the pleasure of reading.
Traxless is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2018, 11:46 AM   #44

Truly impressive.
Old 05-31-2018, 11:57 AM   #45

Electronics Upgrade - the fun stuff!

While I am waiting for the last rain storm to dry off so I can get back to painting, I figured I would bring the thread up to date on the electronics / infotainment to date and plan forward.

As mentioned in earlier posts, I am a techno geek. And own a home automation / media control company. So, this might end up being a rolling demo booth.

Newmar makes great cabinets and integrates the various pieces and parts together fluidly. Not so much for the electronics. I consider myself an "expert" in infotainment and it took the longest time to figure out how to use the existing system. Not quite sure I have it fully figured out yet.

The art is in making the difficult easy. That's what our software does.
My automotive background teaches me the importance of HMI (Human Machine Interface). In vehicles, get it wrong and you can kill someone.

To make it "easy", the systems need to be networked together so a common system can control all. Then, on command or on event (time of day, occupancy change, weather, mode changes - like arrive and depart prep) can be choreographed by the software.

An intuitive and pleasing user interface (if graphical) is also mandatory. The goal is: No instructions required.

So, to do this, the software has to be connected to the hardware and know how to "talk to it" (it's "protocol"). That could be Wifi, bluetooth, ethernet, serial cable, Zigbee, Z-Wave or all of the above.

When we have the choice, we like to use wired connections as they are always more reliable. Reliability is critical for ease and to depend on the system.

The problem is most of the legacy (ie: 2002 Mountain Aire stuff) was never designed to be "connected". The newer systems (think "Rosie") are built to follow an industry standard communication called RV-C. This is based off of technology that has been in Autos for years (Controller Area Network - CAN). This works out well for Newmar (and other OEs) because they don't have the scale to mandate their own proprietary communication methods that the big fat car companies can mandate (Make it special for me because that's easier for me and I will give you the business).

So, step one is put wires in the logical places when it's easy to do so.
For the bedroom, that is where I am putting most of the new stuff. So, before putting cabinets and walls together, I drilled access holes (you never can remember every wire that will happen in the future), and installed today's modern cabling. (HDMI / Cat6 / etc).

I put quite a few new wires down the length of the RV using the HVAC ducting. I used "plenum rated" wiring so it won't bother us all if there was a fire and toxic odors emanate from the AC ducting.

The old TV spot above the dashboard is another tech hub. I put the WiFi router there as it's not encased in metal (wood).

My home is fully automated. I can now connect to the Home while on the road (cellular or wiFi) and see the home's status, turn things on / off, warm up or cool down things, see cameras, see security stuff etc.
And, I will be able to do the same from Home to RV.
To do this securely, we put our firewall in both the home and the RV "myFirewall2". This runs PFSense advanced networking software that allows for OpenVPN connection between Home and RV (or my Phone and either).

The WiFiRanger is used because it's a nice outdoor rated Wifi antenna, and has some nice logic of what connection to use (cellular or Wifi). So it's transparent. When I am in Internet connection, the two connect. When the Internet goes away, the two gracefully disconnect. All done securely.

Now that we are securely able to connect, the next step is "for what?".

I am able to move media content from one server (home) to another (RV). This is all done automatically when the two are connected via Wifi (no cell charges).

[Mod Edit]

Back to the RV.

In the bedroom, I upgraded the TV to a nice LG 4K. This is connected via ethernet cable to the network hub, [Mod Edit]. This then allows remote control of the TV power.

The Denon receiver - same thing. But here we have much more control. Volume, power, what source to watch, which zone to watch in, what to listen to, etc.

The Nvidia Shield - this is the Player of digital content like movies and audio. [Mod Edit] tells the Shield what files to play.

If all this sounds complicated, it is. Unless you want to use it. To use it, pick what you want to do (Watch something?) and select what to watch, and hit Play. Done. The software than switches everything so it just works.

I am debating putting in an Android Head unit (radio) to replace the Panasonic flip up. Did this on the Bounder. Great upgrade. Thinking about where to put it, and how to make it cosmetic. Not sure if I can get this all done before our big summer trip. Paint is taking way too long...
Old 05-31-2018, 12:31 PM   #46

Very cool!!
iamblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 12:49 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wow. This is a truly impressive story. I commend not only your ability but your determination to make things work in spite of obstacles that would make many folks say to heck with it.

The group of folks you encountered in Las Vegas was a real blessing, for sure.

While you have obviously been successful at many things and now own your own company, I suspect you could have made a good living doing pretty much anything you attempted. My father always said a man who can work with his hands and build/fix things can always make a living.
Old 05-31-2018, 12:56 PM   #48

Great thread and very inspiring! More pictures would be fantastic. I am planning to upgrade the entertainment systems in our Mountain Aire and you are giving me a lot to think about.
Old 05-31-2018, 01:37 PM   #49
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
This has been one of the most interesting stories I've heard here in a long time.

Congratulations on this monstrous project and for sharing it with us.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 01:47 PM   #50

Wow, thats an amazing resurection.

I can see your next business venture :-)
Old 05-31-2018, 02:26 PM   #51

WOW, what a undertaking your taking. Your so lucky to know what and how to do what your doing. And lucky to have the help to help you get the machine down the road. Good luck and many good times ahead for sure. Thanks for the post,sharing and taking the time to give us the pleasure to read about your project.
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 03:32 PM   #52

Thanx for the uplifting comments!
Yes, the gang in Vegas was the key. Jonathan was the central point figure that opened the door to the community. Young, successful, smart and charismatic. I could tell his employees appreciated working for him. And they worked hard. Night and Day. They did what it took till the truck was packed and ready to ship. Good group of guys.

I have since flown back for business and met Jonathan for dinner. Stopped by Santiago's body shop and said hi. I'll do the same next week.

I wish I was in Santiago's body shop right now...the bugs are killing me outside. Ready to start spraying and the weather ain't cooperating. I need three good weather days and it will look like a butterfly.
Old 05-31-2018, 03:39 PM   #53

It is refreshing to read an interesting thread that is not about tire pressure, why the batteries seem to be dead, new or used, gas or DP, "best" RV brand, cheapest insurance, the best oil or neighbors leaving their outside lights on at night.
Old 05-31-2018, 03:44 PM   #54

Speaking of the automation capabilities...one of the planned features is a reminder list on the primary screen. So, if you are preparing to depart...did you remember to drop the jacks? Disconnect the sewer line? Lock the slides? Check if the baggage doors are locked? Disconnect the electric? Drop the TV antenna? etc. Some of these can be "autochecked" by sensors (baggage door sensors connected to the security system that tells [Mod Edit] there is a current OOOPS).

We all have our checklists. Some on paper, some in our heads. There are lots of them when you think about it.

Yesterday I prime painted a baggage door that I screwed up. I opened the slide without checking if the baggage doors were dropped (closed). Of course one wasn't and it really messed up the panel. That little mistake would have cost several hundred dollars to fix, if my RV wasn't returning from the Grave already.

Oh, FatChance, we will also be monitoring TPMS, battery voltage, oil change intervals, and auto shutoff of outdoor lighting
Old 05-31-2018, 04:45 PM   #55

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
It is refreshing to read an interesting thread that is not about tire pressure, why the batteries seem to be dead, new or used, gas or DP, "best" RV brand, cheapest insurance, the best oil or neighbors leaving their outside lights on at night.
[emoji1] ain't that the truth [emoji1]
Roadmaster Nighthawk II, 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 05:43 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
As the culprit on many of these threads I agree :-)

Tags
body shop, collision, cummins, diy, frame damage, headlights, mountain aire, paint, rebuild, restore, salvage