Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2018, 08:40 PM   #1

MountainAire - Back from the Dead

Last October, I got the itch to upgrade to a DP from my 36S gas bounder. I had gone through the Bounder and repaired / upgraded just about all and I needed a new challenge.

So, I investigated salvage auctions. I got a bidder account and started combing the auctions. The MountainAire came up and it looked like it was what I was looking for. Smacked pretty bad in the back but it looked fixable. I bid, and Won! Then, the buyer refused to sell at the winning price...so it went back to auction again. I bid again. And Won again, this time for less $'s. Alas the buyer still did not sell. I had the auction company contact the seller and we made a deal. I now owned a DP!

Then, the problem of how to transport it...
I called literally hundreds of trucker, brokers, tow trucks...none would move it under $20K. Finally I had a tow truck that would do it for $7K. I agreed. But, two days after he was supposed to leave, he called to say his driver quit...sigh...back to the drawing board.

In the meantime, I had two auction pictures to figure out what parts were needed. I found most of them at CoLaw RV in Missouri. I bought the parts and had them crated up. The rest of the parts I bought online (filters, belts, etc).

Ok, so, when the tow truck bailed...I decided to pack my well used utility trailer with all the online parts I had delivered to the home, and all of the tools I expected to use for the job. I decided to drive from Michigan to Las Vegas and "figure it out".
I stopped by CoLaw RV and had them put the rear cap / bumper / radiator door etc on the utility trailer. And then Off to Vegas we go ho ho!

The problem was where to fix it...I called campgrounds (not interested), storage yards (no spots big enough, or you have to drive in, no tow ins allowed). Finally I was guided to a guy named Jonathan who said he worked in a truck warehouse and I could rent a spot there to get it running. Once running, I could bring it to a storage yard where I could get it ready to drive back to Michigan.

While driving to Vegas, I made calls and had the MountainAire put on a Landall and delivered to the warehouse. The tow truck broke down and couldn't be repaired for days! So I called another company and they moved it just in time for my arrival 2 hours later.

I got to the warehouse and met Jonathan for the first time. Immediate chemistry. Nice guy. Ends up he owns the joint. He showed me my new DP.

First glance: Wow, this is a LOT worse than the pictures showed. Rear was completely missing, the subframe needed to be replaced, the trailer hitch was missing but went through the oil pan on it's way out. The interior looked like a bomb went off. Sugar and flour and dirt were everywhere. The bedroom was completely trashed.

I was sulking a bit when Jonathan said "you know, if this was cleaned up, this would be a really nice motorhome. I have my body guy coming over tonight...maybe he could help." Santiago was there in 10 minutes. The three of us looked top / bottom / inside / outside and put a plan together. Santiago said he could help. Jonathan asked "how long do you think you will need to fix it?" I said, "hmmm, maybe a month...is that OK with you?" He said no problemo...So, the repairs began.

So, in the day, I worked outside (74 degrees and sunny!), and at night, I cleaned the inside. I lived in it the whole time. Cleaned just enough the first night to sleep on the couch comfy. The nights got chilly as there was no heat, and no rear cap to seal it off. You could look from outside rear to the windshield

Next post, the Repairs Begin!

UPGRADING THE 2002 HEADLIGHTS -- FUEL SENSOR REPLACEMENT

REPLACE SHOCK's and TIE-ROD ---- DASH SQUEAK FIXED

----
Attached Images

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2018, 08:46 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
WOW, this looks like an awesome adventure, hats off to you for going for it.

Im ready for some more pictures
Old 05-30-2018, 08:55 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum and your to be new MADP in the works.
I have just the man for you in QT's # 3 by the name of SPK64.
When you go into link schroll down to the bottom and you will be passing his MOD & Repair section, same coach as yours.
You maybe able to sent a PM to him he has posted this week so he is around, if he doesn't enter your thread.
As you tell your story add posts to this same thread with pictures you may have.
Good luck with your project and take as long as you like I am here to help correct if need be.
Have fun and be careful.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 09:01 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
When new members post PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE THE THREAD we are reading it also and the thread will be getting to long doing so, thank you.

If its necessary I will remove your QUOTE.

Its not necessary to QUOTE a thread we are all reading the same thing, we do not have to repeat ourselves.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:02 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
That looks like a project. As 007 said ask questions and post pictures as you go. We will try to help where we can. The old coaches are built well.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:13 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
After battling with the NEW AIRE threads all week this thread is going to be refreshing.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:18 PM   #7

Frame reconstruction

Day 2 - 9:
I started removing stuff so I could see just how bad / twisted / bent / destroyed things really were. And made a To Do list and a Parts Needed list.
Just then Santiago arrived with one of his guys.

We pulled out my porta-power (body shop frame hydraulic ram) and chained it to an unused semi truck to act as an anchor. Days later, the frame is now straight and the subframe replaced with new steel box and angle iron. Welded better than new! (NOTE: I am trivializing what it really took to get this straightened out. This is where the real Magic occurs, but it's really hard to explain in less than a book).

Between Santiago and Jonathan, they know all the shops, and all the places to buy stuff for heavy duty trucks which was INVALUABLE to success. Santiago picked up the steel.

Went through two 20 ton rams...the frame was a tough nut to straighten without heat (heat messes with the metal temper so it's avoided). We were yanking that Semi around like it was a toy.

I just realized I didn't take many pictures of this stage...to bad because thats the cool stuff (for us DIY'rs). I was just absorbed with figuring, measuring, chaining, yanking, beating, welding that I didn't take too many pictures.

From the analysis, it seems like the RV was pulling a trailer. The trailer must have gotten rear ended by a semi..Big hit. So hard, the trailer hitch was sheared off and pushed forward into the oil pan and transmission cooler. Then, another semi must have hit the right side as there were high tire marks. And, to add insult to injury, the front right bumper tagged something and the subframe under the bumper was bent as well. I removed the fiberglass bumper. I then tied off the portapower to the building to pull the front subframe out nice and straight. Rewelded some of the brackets that were broken.

Dinner time was spent at Harbour Freight to basically buy "one of everything". Key tools bought: 20 ton press to straighten out parts. Pancake compressor for the impact tools, shop vac to clean the inside, heavy duty long extension cord to get power from Jonathan's building, long garden hose to get water to the repair site so I could take an outdoor shower in the parking lot (cold water) since none of the RV systems were functional (yet). HF is perfect for these types of jobs where you use the tools once or twice and thats it. Nothing needed precision, just heavy block and tackle stuff.

Dinner was found at WalMart where I also bought a few pair of jeans, sneakers, underware and T-shirts to work in. Found a laundramat down the street to wash all the bed linens, the work clothes etc. Many loads to do! Every week I treated myself to a "real meal" at a restaurant. 7-9pm was spent traveling to autopart stores, HomeDepot, Harbour Freight etc to get the next days needs.
Attached Images

Old 05-30-2018, 09:24 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
This looks like a fun one to follow! Good luck! Rail!
Old 05-30-2018, 09:53 PM   #9

What's up with the powertrain?

Day 10 - 13

Well, now that the really heavy stuff is out of the way, lets see just how expensive this is going to be...
Hmmm, most all of the hydraulic hoses are cut / leaking, off
So, let's take the oil pan off and investigate.
Unbolted and pryed the pan off and and and...the motor is spotless...no signs of lubrication failure. The bottom of the bores are perfect! Looks like a brand new motor with some oil sprayed on it. Nice! (sigh of relief!)

The transmission cooler wasn't quite so lucky. And it's made of brass so it can't be cheap. Santiago gave me the number for Leo who owns a truck bone yard. Took a trip north of Vegas and met Leo. His junk yard is ultra organized. And Leo knows every part in there. Impressive. He has a cooler, but the hoses are routed differently. Bought it anyway.

Several trips to AnyHose north of Vegas to buy all the hydraulic, air lines, fittings, radiator hoses, clamps, and silicon elbows to replumb the new trans cooler. Not a cheap place, but they sure have everything.

Had Spartan next day air two new motor mounts as the old ones were broken.
CoLaw RV didn't follow up with a new order for a mustache bar (what the motor mounts bolt to) and various other frame reinforcement parts...so this is where the 20 ton press paid for itself (many times over). Lots of banging and tweeking but all got straightened out.

The Oil Pan: Santiago and his worker tried to straighten the old pan. I screwed some 2x4s to the engine rails to keep the straight. We used the porta-power, torch, hammers, and got it straight. Tig Welded some of the holes shut.

Ordered a new air dryer as the old one the filter mount was cracked off. Pretty cheap online and included a new filter! Ordered an A/C compressor online too as I needed the clutch. Took the clutch off the new one and put it on the old compressor so I didn't have to recharge the A/C. Got an alternator pulley / fan from a local rebuilder.

Jonathan hooked me up to buy new AGM batteries for engine / chassis. I got his trucker's discount too Too bad I didn't take that detailed picture of the old batteries like I thought I did so I had to trace back every battery cable to figure out which were engine, which were chassis and which were positive vs. grounds... a half a day wasted but I didn't let any of the smoke out when they were connected

Changed every filter, front to back and every ounce of fluid. $1500 in fluid alone. Transsyn, 15w40, AW46, etc.

And, the moment of truth...will it start? Turn the key, cranks 15 seconds and vavoom!!!purrs like a kitten.

Air pressure builds, and things come alive!!!

But....the old pan is leaking oil pretty good. Off to Leo's to buy a used (but not beaten) oil pan. Got that, cleaned it, painted, installed and refilled the oil and all is now leak free.
Attached Images

Old 05-30-2018, 10:38 PM   #10

Let's close up the back!

Day 14-20

First step is to power wash everything...
I was just thinking of where am I going to rent a power washer, when Jonathan's wash crew arrived to wash all of the trucks.
After they were done with the trucks, $20 and I used their washer to clean mine, top to bottom, front to back. Always makes me happier when things aren't grimy.

Santiago and his crew helped yank off the old rear cap remains.

Once that was out of the way, we straightened the sidewalls and relaminated the exterior sheeting to the walls. The pipes in one of the pictures were used to straighten and then hold the walls while the glue set. I was silly to walk underneath them when one of the 8 ft x 2 inch galvanized pipes sprung loose and clocked me in the back of the head. They all thought it was funny once we realized I didn't have a concussion (or worse).

With the rear cap gone, it's now easy to access the interior. So, all of the slivers of the wood furniture were put into the Durango for the trip back to Michigan and to be used as a pattern for the replacements. One doesn't need furniture to drive back home so it was a low priority.
The washer / dryer was crushed so it was pitched into Jonathan's waste dumpster.

I made a new rear wall out of steel studs, FRP sheet (a little more fire friendly), Luan, Denim insulation (sound deadener). The goal was to ensure no fumes traveled into the cockpit and that it was structurally sound.

Once the majority of structual work was out of the way...time to hang the new (used) rear cap!

We used one of Jonathan's forklift trucks to lift into place (it's big and bulky to handle). One guy at each corner, and one inside the RV pushing up on the roof to get things to line up. One on the roof to screw it all together and put sealant between the layers. This was a Pain. Hard to get the cap all the way forward. We ended up using large ratchet tie downs to yank the cap forward and then we screwed it all together.

With the rear cap on, I could then modify it for the new K&N oversized air filter. The filter intake had to be relocated. I used HVAC 8 inch ducting elbows and foamed it into the rear cap intake shroud.

Once the rear cap was on, we can now put the rear bumper and engine hood on.
Attached Images

Old 05-30-2018, 10:51 PM   #11

Fix the front end!

Day 15 - 16

I had purchased a new front bumper end from ColawRV...but it was almost as bad condition as the original. But I had no other choices at the time.

So, Home Depot buy a gallon of fiberglass and some cloth and some chip brushes.

I met Paul through Jonathan. Ends up he worked in an RV body shop for years. He took on the task of fixing the new (really used) bumper end. Did a nice job aligning it all back up and putting many layers of glass on the inside to make it stronger than new.

I also pulled the subframing out around the baggage doors with the port-a-power and fashioned some temporary plywood doors to keep my stuff from falling out for the trip back.

The body is almost usable!
Attached Images

Old 05-30-2018, 11:04 PM   #12

Safety check

Day 17-23

Spent a few days going through all of the safety systems: Air brakes, suspension, steering etc.

Hmmm, the driveshaft is disconnected from having been towed...
Shimmy underneath and daggone it, no U-Joint bearings. The tow operator didn't tape the caps to the U-Joint and they got lost. Santiago tells me about a Driveline shop north of Vegas. Sure enough, they have the right Spicer joint in stock. $120. Of course while putting the joint in, the mechanics wire they had the shaft held up broke and the driveshaft clocked my arm. But, persevered and finished putting the shaft in place.
At least that is a sign the Allison transmission didn't get fried towing it with the shaft in place.

Started going through the domestic systems. HydroHot blowing out black exhaust. Ordered a nozzle and filter next day air. Michigan is now freezing. I need some heat or I will have to winterize it for the trip.

Water system now working.

Ripped out most of the entertainment electronics. I will be putting my "home" automation and media control systems in later.

Charging / Invertor working.

Slides working. Certainly the rear slide needed much realignment post all of the frame work. But electrically, it's working fine.

Levelers working. Slight leak RR cylinder on the top...probably a fitting I'll deal with later.

All lights had to be rewired in the back. I bought new harnesses from Colaw RV to be sure I had enough parts. Just enough.

Replaced windshield wiper blades in case it rains on the way home.

Noticed some glass sticking out between the rim and tire of the drive wheel. I picked most of it out, but saw there was still some there deep. Decided to remove the tire to make sure...I remove the wheel, and brought it to a truck tire dealer down the block. Sure enough, there was about 4 inches x 1 inch of glass between the tire and the rim. Makes you think how much pressure it must take to push the glass between the rim and tire at 95 psi... I cleaned up the rim with the tire off and inspected all was in good shape. The tires are only three years old which is great.

Replaced the original exhaust with a straight through stainless system. Took a few trips to get all the right parts, but it looks great and sounds better.

So, all systems are go with exception of HydroHot. Replaced the nozzle but it's still blowing black smoke. Will have to deal with it later.
Attached Images

Old 05-30-2018, 11:38 PM   #13

Ok, How to get it home

Day 24-28

So, the trip home is now in sight.
How am I going to get my stuff home?
I asked Santiago if he knew of anyone selling a Car Trailer. Sure enough he did. We went to their house and I bought a 7000 lb car trailer that was setup for car wrecking (winch, emergency light bar, lots of chain, binders, electric jack, solar charger, etc).

Brought the trailer back and realized that one of the tires was not trailer rated, but a passenger car tire. So, replaced all of the bearings, inspected the brakes and put a new tire on. I could not find a spare wheel. So, put the pass car tire on the bed of the trailer as a spare (no wheel).

I welded the utility trailer up a bit as the fiberglass cap shifting back and forth in the wind put too much force on the trailer sidewalls so they had to be welded back up. Gave the trailer to Jonathan as a thank you.

The interior is now pretty clean. I have removed every piece of furniture, vaccuumed, shampooed the carpets, cleaned the tile, cleaned behind the drawers, cleaned the pots / pans / dishes / flatware. Took almost a half day just to clean the refrigerator. All of the food was still in it and lots of mold. But, it's whistle clean now. I have been in and under the dashboard, cleaned all of the heat registers, rented an upholstery steamer and cleaned all of the furniture / carpet. Replaced the toilet seat, fixed the toilet seal. Sanitized all.

My wife is one of first impressions....it has to be clean or she can't get over it.

So, it's Thanksgiving. I have met some really good people out here. Got three invitations to spend Thanksgiving with their families. I am honored. But, it's more important for me to get back to my family. So, I work through Thanksgiving and call my kids. They are wondering when I will be home. Very soon I tell them.

I think I am ready to go!

Took my first road trip. I went to get Fuel and to dump the tanks. Takes 50 gallons (cool...had fuel in the tank). I could have been taking showers inside as I only filled 1/3 of the black / grey tanks by myself and being very conservative.
But, most importantly, the road trip went as a big success! Runs great, steers fine, and stops. Nothing fell off!

So, connected the trailer and loaded the tools into the lower baggage compartments. Completely filled them. This is going to be heavy. Put the Durango on the trailer. That's heavy too. Right at the limit of the trailer.

Time to say goodbye!
These guys have been unbelievably great. So friendly, so helpful. And perfect strangers the month before. I am indebted and the human spirit is rekindled!

Financially they wouldn't even take what we agreed to at the beginning ("that was before we were friends"). So I made sure they took their guys out to dinner on me.

I gave the hydraulic press to a diesel mechanic (Coronado) that was very helpful always smiling and providing an extra set of hands. He barely spoke much English but we had no problem communicating. I helped him fix a couple of electrical issues on some of the trucks in the lot and he helped me with here and there on the RV repair. Nice, nice people.
Attached Images

Old 05-31-2018, 12:13 AM   #14

Finally - the trip home!

Day 29-31

Well, I said it would take about a month and it's a month to the day.

It's sunny, the RV is driving great. I have some tunes on.

Now in Utah, I look out my mirror - what's that - black smoke?
The trailer tire is gone!
I pull right over.
Not much left of the trailer tire.
So, when the original trailer owner said "just replaced the tires"...he must have replaced them with some used tires...

Thankfully I was loaded with tools. And a passenger tire spare.
So, jacked the trailer up, pulled the wheel.
I used a wonder bar to remove the tire and put the spare on the old wheel. I used a hammer to clean up the rim that was grinding on the pavement.
It took 5 or 6 tries for the pancake compressor to set the tire bead. I was almost going to grab the starting fluid when the tire set into place.

While putting the wheel back on, It's now night and I am noticing the trailer brakes engaging with the emergency lights flashing...I must have wired the trailer brakes to the taillights...I hate being color blind!!! So, I unwired the brakes for now.

Pulled into a truck weigh station and the gal who worked there turned on all the inspection lights for me to examine the damage from the tire. She even stayed outside and read off the wire colors so I could rewire the trailer. Another nice person!

I took the next exit, and stayed the night at WalMart parking lot waiting for their tire store to open. Unfortunately they didn't have E rated trailer tires so went across town and replace all of the tires and added a spare wheel

Up and over Vail pass. The Cummins ISM rolled right up and the two stage jake brake and I barely had to use the air brakes. Awesome. This is why I wanted a DP.

I did notice that the headlights were REALLY bad. Really hard to see the road. I stopped at WalMart and got a 3M headlight lens cleaning kit. Did the fix in WalMart parking lot with my DeWalt battery drill. Much better, but the lights are still way sub-standard. Permanent fix soon!

Two days later and Welcome to Michigan!
Attached Images

Tags
body shop, collision, cummins, diy, frame damage, headlights, mountain aire, paint, rebuild, restore, salvage