Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2014, 08:37 AM   #1

Mouse in the attic

Last night I heard a gnawing sound coming from the old tube style TV area. (It's next on the upgrade list) I knew immediately what was causing the noise and went to wally world for traps. I placed one in the cabinet next to the TV and one in the return vent about 10 feet from the TV. This morning I discovered the little sucker got the bait from the one in the vent area without tripping it. Has anyone ever had a mouse in the attic and if so what method did you use to get rid of it? Also does anyone have an idea how it made its way into that area?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2014, 08:39 AM   #2

Sticki pads work best.
Snap-On Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 08:39 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
OMG! Do you have basement air? Could he have climbed up through a hole in the duct work? \ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 08:50 AM   #4

The overhead system is separate from the floor system I believe. If I'm wrong someone please correct me. I will be finding the basement outlets today though and put screen over the ends. I also plan on checking the fridge outlet up top and screening it as well if it needs it.
Old 11-02-2014, 10:39 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by maneddi View Post
The overhead system is separate from the floor system I believe. If I'm wrong someone please correct me. I will be finding the basement outlets today though and put screen over the ends. I also plan on checking the fridge outlet up top and screening it as well if it needs it.
For a mouse any place in your MH is possible.
I have had them under cabinets, under fridge, furnace ,speaking of which one had his or her head decapitated inside the fan of the furnace with body parts all over and fried on the heat cylinders of furnace, smells great and scare the heck out of wife with the screaming when doom struck.
Last one I caught in MH living area was during winter months it was ripping off a label on bottle over the microwave cabinet.
Use to live in different area tops caught over 12 one winter, new area now and we have a good mouser of a cat, just trapped one so far in lower compartments.
Always used wire spring traps with plenty of peanut butter it gets them every time.
They crawl up your tires and power cord into the coach and they have free rain of the whole coach after that.
I place traps in engine area, furnace, fridge, Gen and compartments below, you do not need them eating your wiring through the coach and chassis.
Good luck in your hunt.
You can try and plug every hole in coach to no avail their heads flatten out to squeeze through the smallest crack any where's.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 10:52 AM   #6

To bad were could train them, it would make running new cabling so much easier!
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 11:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn View Post
To bad were could train them, it would make running new cabling so much easier!
Great idea Spinn!
Old 11-02-2014, 12:34 PM   #8

I put Fresh cab in Electric ,plumbing, and engine, compartments. NO MICE. WE get it at farm stores many use in cars and tractors that are stored for winter. It is made of pine needles and is all natural
rickdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 12:42 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Had to look it up.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 12:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Last night I heard a gnawing sound coming from the old tube style TV area. (It's next on the upgrade list) I knew immediately what was causing the noise and went to wally world for traps. I placed one in the cabinet next to the TV and one in the return vent about 10 feet from the TV. This morning I discovered the little sucker got the bait from the one in the vent area without tripping it. Has anyone ever had a mouse in the attic and if so what method did you use to get rid of it? Also does anyone have an idea how it made its way into that area?
maneddi
I've used 4 or 5 "wedge packs" of d-CON throughout my coach for over 14 years, and I've never seen or heard a mouse ...(or found, or smelled, a dead mouse).

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 03:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickdw View Post
I put Fresh cab in Electric ,plumbing, and engine, compartments. NO MICE. WE get it at farm stores many use in cars and tractors that are stored for winter. It is made of pine needles and is all natural
We used that, only took 2 days for the mice and pack rats to decide they liked it! Opened it up and was moving it around to nesting areas. Now we use spring traps and electric traps. The electric seem to catch a lot (we live on 40 acres in the middle of nowhere so have a lot of critters).
Old 11-02-2014, 03:48 PM   #12

Electric traps? Haven't heard of these. I've always used the spring traps.
Old 11-02-2014, 03:53 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Electric traps? Haven't heard of these. I've always used the spring traps.
This is what we use:

Mouse Traps | How to Trap Mice | Mouse Control Products

Battery operated, easy to use and they work.

Bruce
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 04:16 PM   #14

I've had the best luck with the snap traps with the large yellow plastic trip mechanism. Seems like they work better then the small metal trip. Peanut butter works pretty good as bait.
mahon1993 is offline   Reply With Quote