RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2017, 02:39 PM   #1

Move: old m/h to new?

We live in our ‘13 DSDP, and are considering the purchase of a new coach. Problem: How do we go about selling our old coach while we are living in it, and what do we do during the time the old coach sells and the new one is available?
Should we move out (apartment, extended stay?) and prep our ‘13 for sale? We may be talking months.
We do not have a permanent home, and of course, would like to sell our current coach ourselves.

Calpop45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2017, 03:42 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kortan01 View Post
We live in our ‘13 DSDP, and are considering the purchase of a new coach. Problem: How do we go about selling our old coach while we are living in it, and what do we do during the time the old coach sells and the new one is available?
Should we move out (apartment, extended stay?) and prep our ‘13 for sale? We may be talking months.
We do not have a permanent home, and of course, would like to sell our current coach ourselves.
You do have a quandary. We sold our old coach on RVTrader in October after being advertised for only 3 weeks and then ordered our new coach. We were without a coach for 6 months. We had all our ducks in a row when we sold the old one, so all we had to do was sign the order with our dealer. We do have a stick/brick house so not so bad other than not traveling for that time.

All the dealers we talked with of course would have taken a trade but at a much reduced price. Good luck in your choices.

Old 10-02-2017, 04:38 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
One option is to tell the new buyer that the coach will be available at the dealership when you pickup your new one. Might reduce the amount you will get for yours, but that is an option. When I sold my last one, one buyer said he wasn’t in a hurry and was flexible. I didn’t end up selling to that person, but they are out there. That person needed time to come up with the cash anyway. Good luck.
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 05:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kortan01 View Post
We probably didn’t get as much for our current coach trading it vs selling ourselves. But a lot less aggravation and in Texas you only pay sales tax on the difference between the trade and the the cost of the new so when talking this kind money that is a good chunk.
Old 10-02-2017, 06:23 PM   #5

As full timers we have traded a couple of times and its difficult timing the transition between rigs. Selling your coach yourself becomes problematic as the price increases due to many prospective buyers having a trade themselves and/or financing issues. A good consignment firm such as PPL motorhomes or Motorhomes of Texas can move the coach much faster than you can. That shortens the time you will spent in temporary housing but its still a major hassle. Suppose the dealer is working on a 10% spread on a $200k coach but a consignment lot will charge about 10% too. So if the dealer is offering you way less than what the coach will net after commission on a consignment lot then you have something to offset temporary housing costs. If the dealer is discounting your trade 20% then you have at most net 10% or $20k to play with. Does not take long to run up at least $10k in temporary living expenses. So you have to decide if the hassle is worth it. We have done it both ways and the next time (everybody says this is their last coach....right!!) we will do a trade as long as the deal is reasonable.. $10k or less than we would net on consignment.
2Escapees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 06:33 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Escapees View Post
As full timers we have traded a couple of times and its difficult timing the transition between rigs. Selling your coach yourself becomes problematic as the price increases due to many prospective buyers having a trade themselves and/or financing issues. A good consignment firm such as PPL motorhomes or Motorhomes of Texas can move the coach much faster than you can. That shortens the time you will spent in temporary housing but its still a major hassle. Suppose the dealer is working on a 10% spread on a $200k coach but a consignment lot will charge about 10% too. So if the dealer is offering you way less than what the coach will net after commission on a consignment lot then you have something to offset temporary housing costs. If the dealer is discounting your trade 20% then you have at most net 10% or $20k to play with. Does not take long to run up at least $10k in temporary living expenses. So you have to decide if the hassle is worth it. We have done it both ways and the next time (everybody says this is their last coach....right!!) we will do a trade as long as the deal is reasonable.. $10k or less than we would net on consignment.
Thanks for that insight. My last deal had me selling the coach in the spring to get the best price and waiting without a coach all summer. Then we had to fly from Maine to Florida to pickup the coach, drive it back to Maine to load up the gear, now we’re off to Tucson for winter. I think we’ll keep the coach for the summer next year and just trade. Less yahoos to deal with too. One guy wanted me to drive the coach from Maine to Washington State and he would pay me if he liked it after I got there. Refundable deposit of course.
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 07:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBelanger View Post
Thanks for that insight. My last deal had me selling the coach in the spring to get the best price and waiting without a coach all summer. Then we had to fly from Maine to Florida to pickup the coach, drive it back to Maine to load up the gear, now we’re off to Tucson for winter. I think we’ll keep the coach for the summer next year and just trade. Less yahoos to deal with too. One guy wanted me to drive the coach from Maine to Washington State and he would pay me if he liked it after I got there. Refundable deposit of course.
Wanna swing by Boston on the way! You can drop us off in Houston. I hate flying!
Old 10-02-2017, 07:13 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Due to WA only charging use tax on the difference between the trade and purchased rig I figure we saved over $9,000 by trading rather then selling ourselves.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote