Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2021, 03:07 PM   #1

Moving a 2015 DutchStar with air suspension dumped?

So, I’ve got a friend with a 60 foot long metal building he will allow me to store my coach in, but the entrance door is 12 foot 11”. Newmar Brochure lists my Dutch Star 4369, on the Freightliner chassis, as approximately 12 foot 10”.
Unfortunately, I’m 1200 miles from my coach and can’t get an exact measurement. Anyone know if there’s an easy way to lower the air suspension and still move the coach (50 feet) in and out of this building? Obviously, my goal is to create a little more margin for error.

Thanks

2015 Dutch Star 4369, Freightliner, 450 hp
clawsonbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2021, 03:13 PM   #2

I think you can move it while holding the Dump button on your levelers down, At least this works on mine,
Old 04-13-2021, 03:37 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi Go slow as the bags will inflate if you go other than very slow. Also you will not be able to turn the steering without possibly damaging fiberglass. Good luck.

Tom
Old 04-13-2021, 03:47 PM   #4

Always been curious how they measure that. Is it 12'10" to the roofline, or is it total clearance to the tops of AC units and antennas, etc.?

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 03:59 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby F View Post
Always been curious how they measure that. Is it 12'10" to the roofline, or is it total clearance to the tops of AC units and antennas, etc.?
I think it has to include everything that came from the factory at the normal ride height. I'm sure they want to be safe with this number and most likly add a little.

If you hit a bright that is 12' 11" and knock off an AC unit into a van driven by a mom with 5 kids and she wrecks and there deaths. You know the RV manufacture is going to court if he listed 12' 11" as the height
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 04:44 PM   #6

The only way you'll have peace of mind is to measure it yourself. Mine is 11'6" - national guidelines have overpasses are at 14'6" minimum.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 11:17 AM   #7

Spartan Chassis
I'd also measure the actual door clearance. Garage doors generally come in increments of 2 ft. I.e. 10' 12' 14' etc but can be adapted. Barn style doors can be what ever you want. Having said that, you can line straight up in front of the door and dump the bags and lower the coach about 4" then drive straight ahead without touching the steering wheel. Turning could damage wheel well and such. The other alternative is to have someone one a ladder next to the door watching the roof and door as you slowly drive in. We have used both methods successfully.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 02:54 PM   #8

Qualifier: Mine is a Ventana LE with an Equalizer leveling system.

I have found out by mistake how to drive without air bags inflated. On mine, the Equalizer system automates the jack retraction. One of the last steps in it's internal process is to send a signal to allow re-inflation of the suspension air bags. So, by mistake, I turned off the system before it could finish and send that last signal for re-inflation. I was able to start the engine and drive with deflated bags. Not recommended, by the way.

Yours is most likely an HWH System? It may still have similar logic for the controller to the air bags. You could try shutting down the jack retraction before it finalizes to see if you can drive on flat bags.
Old 04-19-2021, 09:46 AM   #9

My 2015 3745 Dutch Star is 12’7” to top of Sat Dish Bubble. My garage door opening is 12’10”. Fits aired up with 3” to spare. You should be ok.
xbcsutter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, dutchstar, suspension