Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2021, 04:18 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Moving built in basement vacuum

As part of a project to mount a grill on a basement slide out (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/any...ay-532160.html) I realized the stock mounting of the built in vacuum left something to be desired.

So I moved and reoriented the vacuum. Newmar hangs the intelivac vertically off a board mounted with 2 screws into the Star foundation. That left 17” between the vacuum and the floor.

The intake port comes into the back in a way that when turned horizontally the duct fits up above the frame rail and allows the vac to be moved farther back since you are removing that extra space for the bend down to the intake.

By running a board across the bay I was able to move the vac 3” toward the frame rail and gained 5” of clearance (now 22” to the floor).

Took about an hour including some better wire management.

First is stock
Second is to show the L shaped support I used to run horizontally
Third is the final install.

Bottom line you should be able to get yourself a little more basement space with an hour of work and $5 of material.

- Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3842.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	608.2 KB
ID:	326435   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3843.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	584.9 KB
ID:	326436  

Name:	IMG_3847.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	586.3 KB
ID:	326437  
RandDescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2021, 05:05 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I did the same thing....I didn't go as high as yours, as my frame rails are different. Just rotating it, brought it up to the height of the bottom edge of the frame rail, making the frame rail the lowest point, instead of the vacuum. I don't know why they didn't do that at the factory. It hung down like a sore thumb before.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 12:37 PM   #3

Spartan Chassis
I suspect it was put in the way it was for easy emptying. Whether this is a good idea depends upon how much you use it compared to the benefit of gaining space. Anything stacked in front will need to be moved out of the way in order to empty it. We travel with dogs.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 02:02 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Roy View Post
I suspect it was put in the way it was for easy emptying. Whether this is a good idea depends upon how much you use it compared to the benefit of gaining space. Anything stacked in front will need to be moved out of the way in order to empty it. We travel with dogs.

That is a good point for folks contemplating this mod to look at their use case. I made sure the bag could easily be removed but it does require nothing be in front of it. When I mount the grill on sliders I will have to slide it out of the way to change the bag.

We also travel with 4 dogs (2 samoyeds) so we tend to use a broom / swiffer on the dog hair and use the vacuum on the seats/carpet/corners/cracks. Otherwise we’d fill the bag too quickly (would be the same for any stick vac too).

- Richard
RandDescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 06:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandDescape View Post
As part of a project to mount a grill on a basement slide out (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/any...ay-532160.html) I realized the stock mounting of the built in vacuum left something to be desired.

So I moved and reoriented the vacuum. Newmar hangs the intelivac vertically off a board mounted with 2 screws into the Star foundation. That left 17” between the vacuum and the floor.

The intake port comes into the back in a way that when turned horizontally the duct fits up above the frame rail and allows the vac to be moved farther back since you are removing that extra space for the bend down to the intake.

By running a board across the bay I was able to move the vac 3” toward the frame rail and gained 5” of clearance (now 22” to the floor).

Took about an hour including some better wire management.

First is stock
Second is to show the L shaped support I used to run horizontally
Third is the final install.

Bottom line you should be able to get yourself a little more basement space with an hour of work and $5 of material.

- Richard
A great improvement!!
Have looked at it on our Ventena and it's mounting is an even worse spot.
Sukutto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 06:34 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
On my 2015 DSDP it was mounted in the pass-through bay. I moved mine to the last bay like in the newer coaches and finally removed it all together. We use our Dyson mounted in our back bath closet for interior and exterior jobs including the car. The attachments are also removed so no more hose, extensions and attachments. I needed the room for the new pull out tray for that bay.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2021-04-13 11.02.13.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	343.9 KB
ID:	331935   Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-04-13 11.02.32.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	307.4 KB
ID:	331936  

Name:	Dyson in Coach.jpg