Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2018, 07:48 AM   #85

[QUOTE=Anyone find a solution to use the optical audio port also?[/QUOTE]

I’d be interested in an optical cable solution as well.

I used a “flat thin” HDMI cable that allows mounting the TV bracket without spacers. Unfortunately, I think the 90 degree connection blocks the optical port, so I may have to use Stuart’s cable solution to make it work.

Just to add more drama to this, I’m using the standard rca audio connections and while they work ok, I now have a small, annoying hum that I’ve got to figure out.

Amazing journey on this.
2018 Grand Cherokee Limited
LeslieGary is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2018, 07:51 AM   #86

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I connect my TV to my Samsung Sound Bar with an optical cable. Optical will probably give you the best audio from TV to Sound Bar. Next best option would be HDMI.

The 3.5mm audio AUX input is not a great option and with the Newmar wiring it really needs an AMP to go from the dash radio to the exterior TV sound bar. I consider it unusable.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 08:37 AM   #87

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
I connect my TV to my Samsung Sound Bar with an optical cable. Optical will probably give you the best audio from TV to Sound Bar. Next best option would be HDMI.

The 3.5mm audio AUX input is not a great option and with the Newmar wiring it really needs an AMP to go from the dash radio to the exterior TV sound bar. I consider it unusable.

I also went with optical. And Bluetooth from my phone to the sound bar for music. As Neal said 3.5 is not great.
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 03:37 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
I also went with optical. And Bluetooth from my phone to the sound bar for music. As Neal said 3.5 is not great.

I must have a different tv than you guys because the vertical mounting bars block more the optical port and half of the hdmi... I don’t think I can connect the Bose sound bar via Bluetooth so I’ll have to connect it via rca or 3.5.... it’s a poorly designed Sony tv regarding where everything lines up I can tell you that.
kpecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 03:38 PM   #89

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpecks View Post
I must have a different tv than you guys because the vertical mounting bars block more the optical port and half of the hdmi... I don’t think I can connect the Bose sound bar via Bluetooth so I’ll have to connect it via rca or 3.5.... it’s a poorly designed Sony tv regarding where everything lines up I can tell you that.

What is your TV brand/model?

Pictures?

90 degree plug options?
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 07:14 PM   #90

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:

I had to space the tv out, use a 90 degree optical adapter and a very flexible thin HDMI Cable to make it work. Otherwise the access was blocked.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:18 PM   #91

I did a very similar mount with a 43 inch LG. Wife is much happier with the larger TV.
rcflyer1201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:43 PM   #92

Quote:
On ours, the Bose soundbar connects via Bluetooth to an iPhone or iPad (or other device I’m sure)—but I don’t believe you can connect the Sony TV via Bluetooth to the soundbar. The RCA port is not obstructed but is not going to give you the same audio performance as the optical cable.

I think we all agree that the Sony TV ports are poorly located. Very frustrating.
2018 Grand Cherokee Limited
LeslieGary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 12:45 PM   #93

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeslieGary View Post

I think we all agree that the Sony TV ports are poorly located. Very frustrating.
Agreed!
Old 12-07-2018, 02:33 PM   #94

Well I finally got everything installed. It wasn’t too bad. The bracket took the longest to make. Everything is light and easy to move around.

I ended up scrapping the optical audio and just went back to the 3.5mm port they supply from the factory. The 90degree flat cable is a must I reworked the HDMIs. Input one is from an HDMI hub upfront and the input 2 is from the DVD player in the back. Works out just fine. I can use Apple TV, Xbox, DVD player and Netflix as needed and it works fine.

Thx to all who contributed. The biggest advantage is the Bose speaker is now audible as it is attached to the tv via the homemade bracket. It works really well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0170.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	304.0 KB
ID:	228336Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0171.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	309.2 KB
ID:	228337Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0172.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	334.2 KB
ID:	228338Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0173.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	291.5 KB
ID:	228339Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0168.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	181.7 KB
ID:	228340
Old 12-07-2018, 07:54 PM   #95

Newmar Owners Club
Kpecks,
My installation of the same bracket looks exactly the same.
Only minor issue I have is the tv and bracket doesn’t “lock” into place and wobbles a bit.
Does you lock in so there is no movement?
Old 12-07-2018, 08:29 PM   #96

Much improved external TV mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golferdave78 View Post
Kpecks,

My installation of the same bracket looks exactly the same.

Only minor issue I have is the tv and bracket doesn’t “lock” into place and wobbles a bit.

Does you lock in so there is no movement?

I tried to reuse the magnets from the oem mount without success. I’m not too worried about it honestly. There’s things inside the coach that are more prone to move around that never do so I figured the tv would be ok. For now...
Old 12-08-2018, 05:41 AM   #97

Look at the post on page 2 of this thread. It shows how I mounted the magnets and they work as intended.
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 10:32 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinfla View Post
Look at the post on page 2 of this thread. It shows how I mounted the magnets and they work as intended.

I forgot about the rubber grommets! I knew I was forgetting something. Thanks for the heads up. I’ll make that mod happen.