Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2017, 08:09 AM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Mudflap

We're heading up the Alaskan Hwy and have been advised to NOT use my mudflap, due to it throwing rocks onto the toad. Anyone have any experience with this? Also, where would I store the thing if I removed it-the basement is pretty full now. Wonder if I could somehow tilt it upward into a horizontal position and wire it in place back there?
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2017, 08:33 AM   #2

I'm curious to know why this would happen. We're going next year with out 2016 DSDP and have found that it protects the car.
judgebobk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 10:08 AM   #3

We have Essex which in 2014 did the Alaska trip and a lot of Canada. More then 2,500 miles of the 10K trip were on secondary and gravel roads and it was our tow that got the worst of the rocks. Don't think the Newmar mud flap helped or hurt the rocks from hit the tow. Two travelers with us but clear heavy stick on plastic and they had very little rock chips. Will need something to cover windshield from rock chips also on tow. We did get a couple good rock chips on the coach but at almost all RV parks had someone who would do rock chip repairs for between 40 to 50$ and would suggest you do so because some who didn't had crack go all across windshield. Great trip and one you be pleased with the great sites every day. Do take the trip but but be aware of the poor road conditions. If you see a cone or marker on the side of the road there is frost heave there which is like a speed bump and slow down. Be cautious of the shoulder of the road because of high crown. Stay more toward the middle of the road when safe to drive there.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 10:46 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
thanks, Tom. I am planning on covering the toad windshield, but the plastic on front of the car is what? I know there's a spray-on, not sure of the product. Also a plastic-like wrap, but where to get it?
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 11:00 AM   #5

I got my plastic wrap from camping world, it is a roll something like shrink wrap except thicker with light adhesive on one side.
Old 06-01-2017, 11:03 AM   #6

Slabman It was a self adhesive clear plastic that was thick enough to stay on their tows for the whole trip.Might have been like clear shelf paper. Needs go down low because most of the rocks hit the tow the first 12 inches. They put this also over the head lights which allow them to drive their tows but protected the head light covers. Another guy had the Roadmaster cover that lays even with tow bar and that also work pretty good.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 01:30 PM   #7

Slabman, I purchased my transport wrap at Autohaulersupply.com. You can get a 24"X200" FOR 70 BUCKS or have it cut into 3 8" strips which is what I did. I put it on the front of our F150 when I tow it. Wish we knew you were planning a trip up there, Debbie has been wanting to go. I always worry about the possible coach damage and it would be nice to travel with somebody when we go.
David D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 01:46 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
We removed our rear flap prior to our Alaska trip two years ago and it's still leaning against a wall in our garage 30K miles later.

In reading suggestions to remove our flap I recalled rocks and pebbles that repeatedly collected in the windshield wiper well of our CR-V and how they found their way there. After looking at this more closely and watching how the rear end of other coaches reacted to dips and holes I concluded that these guards can and, in many cases do, scrape the road surface spewing up a shower of rocks.

In addition to removing the guard, I also installed a rigid rock shield in front of our toad, attached to our tow bar.

After our trip through northern BC, the Yukon, Alaska and the Northwest Territory I removed the rock guard as well. Since then we have travelled across Canada, from coast to coast, including Newfoundland, gone down the eastern US and traveled the southern shores from Florida to Texas and then back up to northern Alberta and through BC. I still have zero rock chips or windshield abrasions on my toad and I have not found a single rock in the toad's windshield wiper area.

My rear guard will remain in our garage until the day we choose to sell our motorhome at which time I'll bolt it back on so the next owner can choose their path.
Old 06-01-2017, 01:52 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I've had good service and results out of this:
Protect-a-Tow

We used to have sand/small rocks/ etc.. on top the front bumper of the jeep (far left in the pic below) and this resolved it...

I would like if it where less 'cone' shape and more square to cover more of the jeep, but it does a good job as is...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-09-03 001.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	613.6 KB
ID:	163771  
Old 06-01-2017, 02:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_H View Post
We removed our rear flap prior to our Alaska trip two years ago and it's still leaning against a wall in our garage 30K miles later.

In reading suggestions to remove our flap I recalled rocks and pebbles that repeatedly collected in the windshield wiper well of our CR-V and how they found their way there. After looking at this more closely and watching how the rear end of other coaches reacted to dips and holes I concluded that these guards can and, in many cases do, scrape the road surface spewing up a shower of rocks.

In addition to removing the guard, I also installed a rigid rock shield in front of our toad, attached to our tow bar.

After our trip through northern BC, the Yukon, Alaska and the Northwest Territory I removed the rock guard as well. Since then we have travelled across Canada, from coast to coast, including Newfoundland, gone down the eastern US and traveled the southern shores from Florida to Texas and then back up to northern Alberta and through BC. I still have zero rock chips or windshield abrasions on my toad and I have not found a single rock in the toad's windshield wiper area.

My rear guard will remain in our garage until the day we choose to sell our motorhome at which time I'll bolt it back on so the next owner can choose their path.
I can relate 100%. My rear flap is resting in the campground in Whitehorse, YK since our AK trip three years ago. At that time I had a solid rock Shield, a custom vinyl windshield cover and spray on film to protect the mirrors etc.
Since removing the big flap, I don't use ANY protection gizmos of any kind. Just the two flaps behind the rear duals.
The toad stays cleaner, zero rock chips. Believe it or not.
If you choose to go with your flap, you can always leave it in the heap in the CG in Whitehorse with the rest of them.
Old 06-01-2017, 02:45 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Bought a '14 CR-V from a friend on the forum. He towed it to AK and back behind his Essex. Very few chips anywhere but he had the Alaska package (Guardian and Tow Defender) from RoadMaster. Since I'm not going to use them I have them for sale on the "For Sale" section. Problem is that the shipping is too expensive to save much money unless picked up. He also had a thin rubber mat over the windshield and plastic over the fog lights. Tried it over the headlights but gave up as he couldn't get it to lay flat.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 07:08 PM   #12

My rear mud flap is sitting in my garage.
This is what I use on my Jeep when going to Alaska.

https://rvandoffroad.com/rv-and-towables

Bill
OC Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:58 PM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"slabman".....I've been using this on my toad for about two years. I'm really happy with it. https://www.amazon.com/Road-Wrap-18-...ords=road+wrap
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 02:56 PM   #14
4x4

Newmar Owners Club
I've got a lifted Wrangler so anything below 12" is "hardware". I removed the full length "rock thrower" and have since towed it 10k miles without any chips.

You can imagine the full length mudflap would disturb stones that otherwise would just stay on the ground. I'm in the camp that they are simply an advertising sign that actually does the opposite of what it seems it was actually intended for. I also removed it because when leveling on a high rear site, it would get crushed against the bottom of the motorhome unless I ran outside to kick the bottom out. Gone and glad....
4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote