Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2020, 09:55 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mudflap save

I'm aware of the "controversy" over the benefits/problems with the mudflap at the rear of the coach. Just adding my recent experience:
Saw something on the road, too late to avoid. Looked like a 2 ft long piece of shiny metal. Sounded like my left inbd rear tire hit it. Not able to pull off highway to inspect. Drove about another hour, watching the TPMS closely, incl on the toad. No problems noted. During my rest stop inspection, discovered that an aluminum tube, similar to a piece of folding chair frame, but heavier, had impaled the mudflap. (Why didnt I take a picture?) Had the mudflap not stopped it, I tremble to think what damage it would have caused to the CRV, especially if it hit the radiator. Removed said tube; now have quarter-sized hole in mudflap.

Lesson? Maybe they help, maybe they don't. Roll the dice. (I'm keeping mine on.)
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2020, 08:22 AM   #2

If you have it then use it. There's no harm by leaving it on. In your case it did its job. You're lucky as it not only could have damaged a tire, it could have damaged your toad or could have punched a hole in oil pan if it had not been stopped by flap. If it would have been me I wouldn't have driven another hour before checking. You never know what it could have done other than tires. JMO
Fefanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 08:28 AM   #3

I had a similar situation where a tire shredded in front of me and I had nowhere to go due to vehicles on each side. The carcass hit the front of the coach, ripped off the genset exhaust and both items went underneath and really bent up the mud flap. The mud flap ended up looking V shaped instead of straight across. My toad came out unscathed.
Old 03-07-2020, 08:56 AM   #4

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the controversy over the mud flap? Sounds like something I should know about as I'm planning on buying a DSDP later this year.
Xmcdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 10:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmcdog View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but what is the controversy over the mud flap? Sounds like something I should know about as I'm planning on buying a DSDP later this year.
^^^This, not too sure what the issues are. Off to do a site search on the topic...
Old 03-07-2020, 02:25 PM   #6

The flap has been known to kick up rocks/gravel hitting your toad
Ernie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 06:23 PM   #7

I think they are talking about the full width mud flaps you sometimes see under the rear “bumper” of a motorhome, not the flaps that come standard behind each wheel. The controversy is whether they kick up more stuff than they stop. I have elected not to use one but instead I extended my factory rear flaps behind the rear tires so they are closer to the road (about 2 inches of clearance). On the road they blow back some but there is a real possibility that the flaps can hit the ground on bumps that compress the suspension significantly. So far so good.
PetesMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 06:33 PM   #8

I know many have removed them due to kicking up rocks onto their toad. One of the first mods I made to our DS was to raise it so that it was less likely to hit the ground. After about 20K miles with this coach, I have absolutely no rock chips on the front of our toad. I did the same with our prior coach and our Jeep has been towed somewhere around 60K miles.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 10:52 AM   #9

We had a tire blow-out carcass incident to PanJH on a heavily traveled Interstate. By the time the on-edge carcass was spotted, time only to swerve or straddle. Straddling was the safest course due to traffic and I was certain the coach and Jeep would clear. In this split second decision, I failed to take the Newmar bling flap trailing so close to the pavement in consideration. A thud and bump followed after passing over it and there was not sufficient shoulder to pull over for miles.

Inspection revealed the metal support for the flap was grossly bent and the part of the rubber with the logo had torn from the support. Closer inspection of the engine area and underbodies luckily revealed no further damage to the coach or Jeep. However there was plenty of damage that could have occurred in the engine compartment, tow bar/connections or to the Jeep at 65mph. We limped to the campground with the flap just clearing the roadway at speed. I removed it the following morning with a ratchet and wrench and placed it in the dumpster.

If you are on the fence like I was about whether to remove the flap or leave well enough alone, perhaps give it another thought. This is not an unlikely scenario, we got lucky.
TheRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 08:29 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmcdog View Post
OH-Oh. What did I start now.
To clarify; it was the full-width "Newmar" flap at the back of the rv that stopped the missile from hitting my CRV. Not a mark on the flap just behind the wheels. I only have about 20K miles towing. I have a bra on the CRV and have never found any damage to the front of the car. I've thought about getting one of those big shields, but haven't bothered yet.

BTW, not a lot of safe, convenient places on I-8 in San Diego to pull off for an inspection of the undersides. I figured the TPMS would warn me if a tire was punctured. Worse case?-it holed the trans cooler, all the ATF leaked out, and destroyed the trans. OTOH, driving an hour on I-8 during San Diego rush hour is only about 3 miles so, no worries.
Old 03-09-2020, 08:13 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandcworkhorse View Post
OH-Oh. What did I start now.
To clarify; it was the full-width "Newmar" flap at the back of the rv that stopped the missile from hitting my CRV. Not a mark on the flap just behind the wheels. I only have about 20K miles towing. I have a bra on the CRV and have never found any damage to the front of the car. I've thought about getting one of those big shields, but haven't bothered yet.

BTW, not a lot of safe, convenient places on I-8 in San Diego to pull off for an inspection of the undersides. I figured the TPMS would warn me if a tire was punctured. Worse case?-it holed the trans cooler, all the ATF leaked out, and destroyed the trans. OTOH, driving an hour on I-8 during San Diego rush hour is only about 3 miles so, no worries.
All good and a good read with the responds..
Mine will stay on as it is and have no problems.....Just my 2
Old 03-14-2020, 05:37 PM   #12
jrs

There have been cases where pebbles have ended up in the windshield well of our toad. Unable to raise the flap any higher than the factory installation. None found since I've taken the flap off....
jrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 09:57 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have also towed about 25,000 miles and my toad has not received any damage nor rocks in the grill or broken windshield. I don’t doubt people that had problems really had them but I’m personally not seeing the problems they are describing. If this was a huge problem then when you walk around the camp grounds you wondn't see around 90 percent of DP still have the flap on their coach. If in the future rocks become a problem then I will remove the flap and see if that helps but until then I’m not going to try to fix something that isn’t broke.
Also, the fount of my Ad Flap has. a lot damage so it doing it's job.
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 10:46 AM   #14

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Wow, now I am confused, dang if you do, dang if You don't
Pillbox is offline   Reply With Quote