Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2022, 08:59 PM   #1

My entry door won't open without applying pressure at door edge

3-4 years ago after going to the dealership to have some service we pulled up in front of the CG office but couldn't get the entry door open till someone came out of the office and leaned on the door while I used the door latch on the inside.
While in the service dept they adjusted the door catch a little, which fixed that problem but caused extra wind noise.
But now again I have to press on the edge of the door to get in. Wife is unable to press against the door hard enough to get in if the door is closed to the 2nd catch.

I haven't tried all this while on the inside yet till I can have one of the neighbors be handy if I get inside, slam the door tightly and be unable to get out without some pressure against the outside of the door.

Not sure what to do now, sure don't want the door adjusted again and have even more wind noise but concerned I might have to crawl out a window sometime. Have sprayed silocone on the door latch several times without taking anything apart but doesn't seem to help.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2022, 07:08 AM   #2

You need to make sure the striker on the door frame is floating up and down. If it's too tight it can't move with the door. But too loose and it will come off. It should shift up and down. You could also have an issue with the handle. I would recommend taking this into a repair facility to have this addressed. Newmar had issues with the door in year model.
Bobby Dowdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 10:49 AM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
It will sound weird, but one of the things that causes this issue is not the door, but the screen door. The latch on the screen door, gets hung up and the screen door won't release, and the door gets stuck.

The half-moon tip (red arrow) on the end of the screen door latch is what keeps the screen door closed. If it's adjusted too far toward the rear of the coach, it doesn't fully release and won't allow the door to open. Loosen the screws marked in yellow and slide the assembly an 1/8" or so toward the front of the coach and see if it solves your issue.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220930_093554.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	333.5 KB
ID:	377652
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 09:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Dowdle View Post
You need to make sure the striker on the door frame is floating up and down. If it's too tight it can't move with the door. But too loose and it will come off. It should shift up and down. You could also have an issue with the handle. I would recommend taking this into a repair facility to have this addressed. Newmar had issues with the door in year model.
Thank you Bobby. I did check the striker on the door frame and it will move up and down but very hard to get it to move. Since the end of the striker bolt has a hexagon head does that mean it can be loosened a fraction to make the up/down movement easier?

Up until I purchased this 2015 Dutch Star I have always been able to adjust the striker in/out to change the tightness of the door when shut, even on all my automobiles dating back to the mid 50's. This DS door has always had me buffaloed.
Appreciate the information, and your time.
Old 09-30-2022, 10:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
It will sound weird, but one of the things that causes this issue is not the door, but the screen door. The latch on the screen door, gets hung up and the screen door won't release, and the door gets stuck.

The half-moon tip (red arrow) on the end of the screen door latch is what keeps the screen door closed. If it's adjusted too far toward the rear of the coach, it doesn't fully release and won't allow the door to open. Loosen the screws marked in yellow and slide the assembly an 1/8" or so toward the front of the coach and see if it solves your issue.

Attachment 377652
I'll check the screen door tomorrow, but since the problem seems to be the outside door handle just won't move to unlatch the main door. But weird things happen so I am going to give that screen door a good look.
Thanks.
Old 09-30-2022, 10:59 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Looking at the edge of the door, liberally spray some lubricant, like WD40 into the latches. Spray the latches on the inside and outside. Let it flow and then wipe up the excess. The door needs to be lubed.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 05:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
Thank you Bobby. I did check the striker on the door frame and it will move up and down but very hard to get it to move. Since the end of the striker bolt has a hexagon head does that mean it can be loosened a fraction to make the up/down movement easier?

Up until I purchased this 2015 Dutch Star I have always been able to adjust the striker in/out to change the tightness of the door when shut, even on all my automobiles dating back to the mid 50's. This DS door has always had me buffaloed.
Appreciate the information, and your time.
You can unscrew the striker bolt from the mechanism. It will not make it move up and down any better, but it will give you better access to lube the mechanism inside the door frame.

The mechanism inside the frame is probably a PTL Engineering Mov a Bolt. Look on their website to learn all about it.
bentjm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 08:05 AM   #8

If you don’t already, carry tools necessary to disassemble the lock from the inside of your coach. Getting locked in is not uncommon.
bevandtomH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, pressure