Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2012, 10:14 AM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
dennis45 - Love the idea that the TV will be hidden when not in use. I'll have to consider that for our next coach!!!
Dutch-n-Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2012, 10:20 AM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Triker56 - Your setup is awesome. Anytime you can get the TV away from the overhead console that is that much less to worry about while in motion. Love all the TV's, but I'm curious about the bathroom one. Why??
Old 10-15-2012, 10:28 AM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomp4801 View Post
Here's another dumb question... when you are removing the old TV, you have to remove the wood trim from around the TV.. I saw pictures of the small "buttons" that cover the screws. It looks pretty easy to remove those. My buttons are sanded flush with the woodwork so you can hardly see them. How do you get hold of them to remove them???
If you are not saving the frame, drill a hole into the center of the plug. Take a small chisel and chip it out using your starter hole as a starting place. If you are saving the wood frame, drill the plug with a wood bit. They are almost flat on the end and will not wobble the hole larger. Remove the screws and continue. Have fun. Wear eye protection.
Cal
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:47 AM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
That is great work.

Dutch,

The DW and I were already loving the work you did on the floors in your unit, but the tv work has really got us motivated to make similar changes to our 2004 Dutch Star. Our unit is currently in the body repair shop and we are hoping to have it back in early November. The plans are to upgrade the floors, tv's and the in dash radio/speakers. We would like to thank you for sharing your information and photo's, it's helps to have an idea of how great the end results of these projects will look in our home.
TEEGEE1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:52 PM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
TEEGEE1997,

Thanks for all the kind words and I can't wait to see your before and after photos of your projects.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:50 PM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dav-cle View Post
Renden hold on there !! I had the same setup on my 2005 Mt. Aire with the tv on right side. you don't need to take the trim off to get tv out. You can take the wood grille off on back of cabinet by windshield and disconnect the tv from the mount (and reuse the mount for new tv) It's a tight fit but the old tv can be pushed out from the back although it is a three man job.. 1 to push and 2 to grab tv. I replaced the old Sony with a 32" Vizio with front speakers and it fit real nice..
Thanks Dave

The TV is held in the back by a very solid metal cracket-backing with 4 screws......am wondering if this same metal mount can adapt a 32 inch - will certainly give it a try. 2 men can do this, one in the back unscrewing and the front man carrying the 26 inch Sony Bravio.........
Renden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:53 AM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renden View Post
Thanks Dave

The TV is held in the back by a very solid metal cracket-backing with 4 screws......am wondering if this same metal mount can adapt a 32 inch - will certainly give it a try. 2 men can do this, one in the back unscrewing and the front man carrying the 26 inch Sony Bravio.........
Renden that is what I did.. I mounted a piece of 3/4 in. plywood to the metal bracket and measured the holes for back of tv, predrilled those in the plywood and put the tv to the plywood and put screws in from the back access hole by windshied ( need to take precise measurements ) be sure to buy a tv with front speakers. originally I wanted a Sony but the speakers were on the side and thought that would cause a problem with the volume.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:52 PM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Awesome job, thanks for sharing the photos with us.. Happy Camping and stay safe..

1fanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 06:13 PM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
The connecting of components then came next. I connected my XBox 360 game console, which is doubling as my DVD player, thru an HDMI cable. I also connected my WD Live TV Hub thru HDMI cable, this is my virtual DVD player because it stores up to 200 movies on its hard drive. My biggest challenge was being able to have any and all sound come through the surround sound system. I was able to accomplish this via the digital audio out on the TV. I had to by a digital to analog audio converter (Radio Shack) that converted that signal back to the 2 wire RCA jacks that my original surround sound system can handle. Now, no matter if we are watching local TV via antenna or an HD movie we always have 5.1 surround sound.

Thanks for the great write up Dutch-n-Bean. I just pulled the Sony anchor out of our 2005 MADP and are starting on the install of a 32" LED. You mentioned the RCA jacks to the surround sound. Are the RCA jacks in my picture audio out to the surround sound? If so, I'll need to do the same as you and use and adapter or can I use the audio mini jack on the new TV?

Thanks.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1412554374.547952.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	837.8 KB
ID:	75843
randyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 11:52 AM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Randyw,

i used the digital audio out from the tv and had to convert it to RCA jacks for the surround sound. I used the converter from Radio Shack. Since my original post i have had to replace that converter once, don't know why it stopped working.

You are the first person that I have talked to that has a gaming system in their coach. My instal has Xbox 360, for DVD player, Playstation 3, for Blue-ray player, WD Live TV Hub with 300 plus movies as well. Sounds like we installed similar systems.

Keep on gaming.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:10 PM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
Got the TV installed and hooked up. Everything is working just fine. I will now build a drawer front to cover the space below the TV. I'll post pictures when done.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:03 AM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
If you need new wood plugs, call Newmar Parts, give them your interior color. I just bought 20 of them for about $10
Old 10-13-2014, 07:34 PM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
Got it finished! Pretty happy with the way it turned out. The TV has a lip that is about 5/8" wide and 3/8" deep which fit nicely over the existing frame. I built and mounted a door front to access the space under and behind the TV. The TV hooked up nicely to the surround sound and to the satellite receiver with an HDMI cable. I relocated two transformers (for the satellite receivers) to the area where the CRT used to be. This should help with the heat build up in the upper AV cabinet.

I suppose by removing the old, heavy CRT and replacing it with a light weight LED that the mpg should increase. Tell me it is so...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1413250067.528619.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	752.9 KB
ID:	76482  
Old 10-13-2014, 10:38 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Nice job Randy, sure you will get a small increase of mileage if you do not add something else.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote