Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2016, 03:07 PM   #1

My plan to purchase a Dutch Star 4369...

My wife and I own a 40' 2012 Tiffin Phaeton RV. It has served us very well and we have customized it greatly. We have taken it from sea to shining sea and from north to south. Starting in June, we will be going full time RV. Our plans this year have us leaving South Florida in June and taking our time heading northeast. We are reserved for an RV caravan for the fall leaves meeting in Maine in September. We have reservations for the winter months back in Ft. Lauderdale near family.

There are some features we want in an RV that we will be living in full time. At the Tampa RV show in January, we became very infactuated with the Dutch Star 4369. We thought we would upgrade to a 2016 DS 4369 before our trip north this year. Then I started reading about the front axle issues on the Dutch Star's for 2016. Even though I know the factory is doing a "change out" on the axles, I consider the 2016 model year as tainted. Additionally, we didn't think we would have time to get the bugs out of a new coach before heading north.

I have been in touch with the sales manager at Newmar regarding purchasing a Dutch Star for 2017. We plan to modify our route to the northeast to stop at the factory. We are going to look at the 2017's, every option, paint combinations, interior colors, etc. and we have even discussed with the sales manager upgrading to some Mountain Aire features in the Dutch Star.

We plan to place an order for a 2017 Dutch Star 4369 at the Tampa show in January. We will include the factory delivery option.

I am posting this on a Newmar board, hoping for suggestions from experienced Newmar owners.
glenspence is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2016, 03:20 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi glenspence,
Welcome to iRV2 and the Newmar Owners Forum. All I can say is you will enjoy your time in Nappanee. Take the tour as often as you like. Guaranteed every question will be answered.

I do have a question. If you are purchasing from North Trail (NT) why not order sooner in the model year. The time from order to delivery can vary. If you order at the show, the coach might not be ready until May. Just a suggestion, something to consider. I know, purchasing a new coach requires considerable focus. The only way I know to shorten the delivery time is to write in the order that the dealer will use one of their "slots" already assigned to them by manufacturing.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 04:08 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My plan to purchase a Dutch Star 4369...

Hey Glen! First welcome... Great place to find lots of good stuff here.
Second, we are 36 hours away from taking delivery of our Brand New 2015 4369....
It is a great floor plan and I am sure it will serve you well!!!!
BlueOx Aladdin Toads: '19 Tahoe, '22 JLU, '17 JKU, IRV3 Brake System
mc4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 04:20 PM   #4

Why I was going to order in January

I thought that since I wanted to do the five day factory delivery, I would order in January and it would be ready in the warmer months of 2017 (such as May). If I ordered in the fall of this year, seems to me I would be taking delivery in the dead of winter in northern Indiana. As a person who gave up those Midwest Winters 35 years ago (originally a Kansas City boy), I thought it would not be pleasant to take delivery in winter. Am I thinking wrong.
Old 03-29-2016, 04:34 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi glenspence,
You have a point. For me, it depends on how you will use the coach. You are snow birding in Florida. Spending much of the winter in the new coach would allow a good "shakedown" before starting summer travel. One could even schedule a spring appointment at Newmar to correct whatever is on your list.

As to picking up the coach in winter, one can negotiate when the coach is to be available for CPU. All one needs is the Weather Channel app and find two days of clear weather to get you back to warmer weather (ex, Tennessee) on your way to Florida. I do this every year. It is not difficult. The coach will behave differently in cold weather than in warm weather. A winter CPU would exacerbate any weakness that can be corrected during warranty.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 07:24 PM   #6

Another "Former" Tiffin Guy....

Hey Glenn,
Ironic, I just sold my 2010 Phaeton 42QBH a week ago and Monday put a deposit on a "16" 4369. Looking forward to my new Newmar, Comfort Drive and what this next adventure brings.

Great Luck.

Sal
BigDogSolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 05:29 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We are in the same boat. We are in the process of deciding between a DSDP and one other brand for purchase in early 2017. I will be visiting the manufacurers for tours sometime this summer, attending the dealers show in Louisville, and probably go to the Tampa show next year as well.

My owner is heading to dealer days in Orlando this upcoming week, and I am hoping to find out what changes are in store for 2017's. People think I am crazy for planning this far out, but this is a major decision, and I want to make it a very informed one.
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 07:17 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenspence View Post
I thought that since I wanted to do the five day factory delivery, I would order in January and it would be ready in the warmer months of 2017 (such as May). If I ordered in the fall of this year, seems to me I would be taking delivery in the dead of winter in northern Indiana. As a person who gave up those Midwest Winters 35 years ago (originally a Kansas City boy), I thought it would not be pleasant to take delivery in winter. Am I thinking wrong.
Having some experience working with Newmar, your thinking is accurate. Since you are ordering, a quick discussion with your Newmar Regional Sales Manager you can learn what estimated dates for each production run. If you are doing the Customer Pickup Option (factory delivery), the coach needs to come off the line about 4 weeks prior. So if you are hoping for a mid May pick up, order the coach in January/February for a production run that will have the coach completed mid April. Now this falls apart, if the Tampa Super Show results in such sales that the remaining production slots for the particular coach your ordering sells out.

Mike
2012 DSDP 3734
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 02:52 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
MJFG - I have heard about the four week lead time for the CPU option. Do you know why this is? Is the unit in such rough shape that extra work needs to be done prior to pick up? I wouldn't think so, but one has to wonder.
JohnRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 07:25 AM   #10

Seeing issues with the 2017s, I may wait...

Reading this forum about issues with Newmar laying off workers and issues with the 2017s, I think I may wait on ordering a 2017 Dutch Star 4369. I think I am going to change my route to the Northeast this year and detour to the plant in Indiana and check things out closely.

Tags
dutch star, purchase