Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2020, 06:52 AM   #15

Our policy with Progressive went up $600 the first hear and $800 the second year. Dropped them for GEICO and saved about $600.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2020, 06:53 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
About 2 months ago I talked to my insurance agent about home coverage as I just built a new house and needed to make sure replacement value was correct. At the same time he suggested he check my auto and RV insurance, he's an independent broker and carries numerous companies.

I ended up changing from Grange Insurance to Auto Home. With Grange I had to have a separate policy but with Auto Home it was included with auto's. We also lowered the declared value of the RV to a realistic amount from when I first got insurance with Grange.

When I was reviewing the new policy I saw they only had the days used for the RV at 30 days per year. I talked to the rep and she said that is normal since most people don't use them that much, I had her change it to 180 days. She knew I was retired but just "assumed" but you know what they say. Yes I paid a little more but I know I am covered if and when the pandemic eases we can use the RV for a more realistic duration of time. In the past it was not uncommon to use it for 3 months a year and I would like to increase when possible.

In all I probably saved 25% by switching. So it pays to review on a regular basis.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 07:09 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
Have 2 cars and home with AARP Hartford. Guess I'd better check with them on the RV since Safeco tried for the moon this year. Remembered checking with Hartford several years ago and thought they said they didn't do RVs.

Like a previous poster stated, I renewed my Hartford coach policy recently (April 2020) and my policy went DOWN as well, 22% down! I've run the gamut, from USAA (regressive), to Nat'l Gen, Good Sam, etc. Hartford has consistently been the least expensive for comparable coverage. I shop every year. Insurance Companies have no loyalty TO you, so why do they expect it FROM you? Progressive raised my rates approx. 30% in 2nd year w/ no claims. Hartford was about 20% lower than Progressive BEFORE regressive raised their rates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
Hartford do not insure RV's on their own but will insure them as an add-on to insured cars.

Not doubting your word, but Hartford originally told me this as well. I called back a few days later, spoke to a different agent, and no problem, I don't have any other insurance with them, just the coach. They've been great! Two comprehensive claims with them in six years, great service, paid fast, no hassles. Try them again, multiple times if necessary. I think you've be happy with them.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 07:16 AM   #18

I have been with Progressive since 2013. When I changed MH's in 2015 I understated the value of the newer MH. I went back to my agent and they upped the value to a fair market value at a reasonable cost.
My premiums have remained the same since I did the increase.
Each year at renewal times my agent goes over my coverages and runs the numbers for each policy I hold with them. I have changed carriers for some of my other policies but The MH coverage has either remained the same or the premium has dropped slightly.
Fortunately I have had no claims.
Lynn
Old 05-06-2020, 07:28 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Insurance is also very state dependent along with whatever other “magic” dust they use When in Oregon I had AARP Hartford for the house ,cars, motorhome .. the same motorhome I have now. They didn’t offer “real full timer use policies so I switched using Miller insurance. When I moved to Florida and bought property I looked at Hartford again since I now had a “home” again and could drop my progressive full time rv’er policy ... all was fine until they found out my motorhome was list priced ( new) in 2003 over $ 350.000 .. actually it was 480,000. Current value is under 100. “Florida “ rules evidently no Motorhome over that amount when new no matter how old .. period. It wasn’t a problem when I was in Oregon .
They sent me to their “risk” arm who quoted a outrageous amount of over 1,000 more for part time use as compared to the progressive full timer policy I have now which hasn’t gone up much in the 3 years I’ve had it , and I just renewed another year ... go figure.
Old 05-06-2020, 05:18 PM   #20

Progressive quoted me an astounding $11,419 for one year for my 2020 New Aire. [Mod Edit]? Waiting for call back from Geico (where I have all my other stuff).

Update: after talking to a human, Progressive "got it down" to $8276 for replacement cost, and $7375 for cash value.

Just WOW! For perfect driving record, 800+ FICO, 45 days per year use, and stored in enclosed heated storage unit I did not expect this sticker-shock.
Jeff Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 08:03 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
Insurance is also very state dependent
100%

It's regulated at the state level. So state to state the offerings will differ, some companies might not insure in a state, and you definitely cannot compare what someone in a different state has for coverage/cost..

Rates are highly risk pool dependent, which is at the zip code level. Even within a state, just 100 miles or so difference in insured address can mean a significant difference in rates, depending on the claim rate, average claim, and repair costs in an area. Again, unless someone is in your same risk pool, what they pay bears little resemblance to what you will.
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 08:50 PM   #22
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
FMCA is supposed to have great rates for members but last time I checked with them all they had for Oklahoma was Progressive and Safeco.
Try Westfield Group. That's who we use for everything although we've never had a claim yet. They're refunding 15% on all auto policies due to the lockdown. They do have agents in Oklahoma. They're headquartered near where we live and have a great reputation around here as an insurance company and as a supporter of the community.

https://www.westfieldinsurance.com/

I attached their motorhome policy from last year so you can see what they offer for coverage.

Ray
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Westfield RV_0023_1216v6.pdf (556.3 KB, 19 views)
Old 05-07-2020, 07:48 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
Hartford do not insure RV's on their own but will insure them as an add-on to insured cars.
Glad to hear this. Would have called today and asked them to insure my RV but got busy in other places. Now I'll call and just ask if they will add my RV to my 2 other vehicles.
Old 05-08-2020, 05:54 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Stryker View Post
Progressive quoted me an astounding $11,419 for one year for my 2020 New Aire. WTF? Waiting for call back from Geico (where I have all my other stuff).

Update: after talking to a human, Progressive "got it down" to $8276 for replacement cost, and $7375 for cash value.

Just WOW! For perfect driving record, 800+ FICO, 45 days per year use, and stored in enclosed heated storage unit I did not expect this sticker-shock.
Update #2: Safeco coming in at $1614, FMCA (Safeco) $3010, Geico $1944 with better coverage than Safeco.
Jeff Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 06:25 AM   #25

Quote:
Update #2: Safeco coming in at $1614, FMCA (Safeco) $3010, Geico $1944 with better coverage than Safeco.

Those sound a WHOLE lot more reasonable! Sounds like Flo wanted to take a cruise, and Regressive had to pay for it (and the medical insurance) SOMEhow . . . . and that's when your request for quote came in!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 11:11 PM   #26

Quote:
Last year Safeco had my 2015 4018 DS for $2,900, this year it is going to $3,800. Hartford has quoted $3,111 and Geico quoted $2,014 for only 6 months. Guess that comes to $4,028 for the year.

Is there a difference in Safeco and FMCA Safeco? Did you get a quote directly from Safeco?
Old 05-16-2020, 11:29 PM   #27

We are with AAA. Our "new" 2014 Tiffin Allegro RED 38QBA is $709 for the year. We live in San Luis Obispo County.
Money Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 08:31 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have found tha about every 2 or 3 years, the insurance companies will jump my rates fro no reason....no claims, no tickets, etc. I just get on the phone and internet and start getting quotes and I will find a cheaper rate fro the same coverage.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance