Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2022, 12:04 AM   #1

Mystery generator start

About 6:30 this morning I was about to leave the rig to join my wife at our son's house for a weekend of grandchildren-sitting. The rig is plugged into 50-amp shore power, the batteries are fully charged, and the AGS is set to OFF. All of sudden, without any warning whatsoever, the rig shuddered. At first I thought something had hit us. It took me a moment to realize that the generator had started. I was the only one in the rig and was nowhere near the gen-start button. Other than the obvious (our rig is haunted), any ideas as to why/how this could happen?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2022, 05:08 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
This topic has been addressed before but I don't remember where I saw the postings. Some suggested that a cat or squirrel were the responsible parties to the phantom start. Just my opinion, but I do not think any self-respecting cat or squirrel is going to stand on that generator with it rumbling beneath their feet.
We had a phantom start while on a trip a few years ago, 3-am. Nothing was obvious as to the reason for the start. I took the electrical multi-pin connector apart and sprayed electrical contact cleaner on the leads. Then I used dielectric grease on the connection seal on the holder. I also torqued the electrical connections inside the black door on the top of the generator. So far, it has not happened since.
rvbiker45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 06:20 AM   #3

Our previous coach was kept in storage, plugged in. Several times when we would pick up the coach, the gas gauge was at 1/4 tank. I was fairly certain it wasn't that low when I parked it. Thinking someone was stealing our fuel, I went to speak with the manager to review camera footage. An employee was in the office and heard our conversation. He said our coach generator was running frequently. The AGS was off, and coach was fairly new. Took it to the dealer and it did the same thing while in the shop. Eventually the panel was replaced under warranty.
Old 05-01-2022, 07:40 AM   #4
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Something told the ags to start. The module in the passenger side bay before the fresh tank mounted to the wall. I would unplug it and plug back in. See if needed a reset.
Collision Repair & Paint Restoration

SM Nashville 972-697-6325
Bobby Dowdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 07:59 AM   #5

About a month ago after a storm I went to storage to check my coach and found the generator running. I don't have ags so that couldn't have been the problem. There was a lot of lightning that night and all I can think of is a strike close by may have caused it.

Since you have to hold the start button in the start position until the glow plugs cycle, I doubt a cat or squirrel was standing on the start switch at the generator. Whatever it was it hasn't happened since.
Fefanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 11:28 AM   #6

A few weeks ago while in the the RV garage, my generator fired up and startled the heck out of me. Come to find out, my cat had crawled up on the generator and depressed the start switch, so that is another variable to consider that can and does happen, albeit probably not the frequently.
TheRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 11:30 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRod View Post
A few weeks ago while in the the RV garage, my generator fired up and startled the heck out of me. Come to find out, my cat had crawled up on the generator and depressed the start switch, so that is another variable to consider that can and does happen, albeit probably not the frequently.
I'll bet the cat doesn't go near the generator any more!
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 12:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jepoland5 View Post
About 6:30 this morning I was about to leave the rig to join my wife at our son's house for a weekend of grandchildren-sitting. The rig is plugged into 50-amp shore power, the batteries are fully charged, and the AGS is set to OFF. All of sudden, without any warning whatsoever, the rig shuddered. At first I thought something had hit us. It took me a moment to realize that the generator had started. I was the only one in the rig and was nowhere near the gen-start button. Other than the obvious (our rig is haunted), any ideas as to why/how this could happen?
This has happen to me twice, first time when we came back from being out doing the day the generator was running, and the second time was just recently it happen at midnight scared the $#@% out of me
96kpmjmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 02:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jepoland5 View Post
Cat - happened to us. Next day, a rig across from us, who we knew, left for a few hours and as I was outside I heard his generator start and saw a cat jump out from the front and run like a rocket. Called the owner and he came back and shutoff the generator. I placed a rough carpet over the front of the generator and never had the issue again.
DS15 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator